Mike Cohen
Disney Buys Lucasfilm - Star Wars VII
on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:32:41 pm

OMG

Could be good, could be bad.

The good:

More Star Wars rides and toys

The Bad:

Giving Star Wars the John Carter treatment (which they sort of did with Revenge of the Sith)

The Good:

Gore Verbinski, however, could do great things for Star Wars. Heck I could see Johnny Depp as a Han Solo like anti hero in Episode 7 which is due in 2015.

Clone Wars cartoon series produced by Lucasfilm's Singapore office is mildly entertaining, less so as the seasons have progressed and it is now a Saturday morning cartoon.

Pixar taking on Star Wars could be wildly entertaining.

Lucas previously announced that Kathleen Kennedy would take over for him as CEO.

Overall this could be a good thing. Lucas started to became a liability to his own company.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm - Star Wars VII
on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:59:05 pm

No good can possibly come of having Lucas involved in anything with the words "star" or "wars" in the name.

Joss Whedon did a pretty nice job with the Disney-distributed Marvel's The Avengers - might be fun to see him take a crack at this. Nathan Fillion as Han Solo?

My fondest wish for Star Wars remains turning loose some of the Hollywood VFX aces who were inspired by the 1977 original on that thing, to undo the damage that Lucas did to it. It wouldn't even be that hard (a lot of it is simple cutting, and none of the roto looks like it would be insanely complex) and I know that most of them would do the work for free. Do a 4K DI print of the de-f&cked-up version, and I don't know that they could set a price so high on this thing that I wouldn't buy a copy...after seeing it a bunch more times in theater.

Hey Disney, there's your recipe to make back the entire cash expenditure on LucasFilm in a year. More than enough to pay for Star Wars VII too.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:37:02 am

After some further thought, here are more good and bad things that may result:

The end of fan films. Granted the SW fan film movement may have reached its peak already, but who hasn't staged a lightsaber duel as a way to practice after effects, and posted to youtube (guilty)? Disney is very protective of its properties, so everyone have a final look at Troops and Death Star Repairmen, and the perennial favorite "Tauntaun for Christmas" because these will be going away.

Disneyfication of SW characters. A SW parade at Disney Studios with Mickey and the gang dressed as SW characters. Ok Goofy might make and interesting Chewbacca though his personality is closer to Jar Jar.

A SW themed land in a park, like the recent Harry Potter attraction at Universal could be cool for children of all ages. Imagine ordering a drink of blue milk at a real life Cantina, a speeder bike motion ride, a Millenium Falcon turret gunner attraction, something like the Hall of Presidents but with SW animatronics...the possibilities are endless.

As for the actual movies - Lucas has stated numerous times that the 6 existing films were the story of Anakin from birth to death and that he's not interested in the continuing story of Luke and the others. But the novels, starting with Heir to the Empire, have established that there is a fan base for the continuing story of Luke and the others. With Lucas somewhat out of the picture, or at least not writing or directing, we'll have to see what they come up with. It might be wise to set Episode 7 50 years past Jedi, so we don't get Indiana Jones IV. Ford, Hamill and Fisher could make cameos as holograms to make us geezers happy, but the main action should be new young faces like in the original.

That being said, the actors from Jedi are mostly still alive and if you need a treatment for a story with their characters give me a ring.

Ok, more good and bad ideas are brewing - I'll check back later.

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:14:13 pm

I only see good coming from this. Now that Disney owns George Lucas's company I hope they will make a new Howard the Duck :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:51:41 pm

Okay, so I'm posting this since it has Light Sabers:

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 31, 2012 at 3:17:36 pm

So now Leia and Padme become Disney Princesses!

If I was going to make a 7th movie, (and I keep checking my voicemail for the call but they haven't reached out to me yet) I would make it about the rebel spies that successfully steal the plans to the Death Star and get them to Leia. Because you really don't need any of the major established characters to pull that off at all, you are completely free on the casting, and you can connect it back to the established films. I don't know if any of the books covered that tale yet, I stopped reading SW books after "Splinter of the Mind's Eye".

There's a fan base that wants to see Tim Zahn's "Thrawn" story arc made into a movie or animated series. There's a very gritty new SW video game coming out that is entirely set in the bowels of the capitol city on Couroscant. It looks pretty epic and dark, literally and figuratively. I really don't want to see the now aged original cast members on new films. It's a big universe and it has room for new characters and stories.

The most likely settings for more SW films would be the period where the Empire has been broken, but not yet universally vanquished, the Jedi order are having to start from scratch, and the Rebels now have to re-build a disorganized Republic while still fighting pockets of fanatical resistance. Kinda like Barack's first term:-) A film about the first new generation of Jedi striking out into the Republic, not quite ready and still learning on the job, with a galactic citizenry that doesn't remember them or is fearful of or indifferent to their efforts, seems to me like the most easy route to box office. And it sets up all new lines of toys for George to market.

Disney is more forceful at protecting IP than Lucasfilm was: I expect starfleets full of Disney IP lawyers will scour the nets with probe droids to eliminate all unauthorized fan-based product.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:28:17 pm

I think it would be cool if they almost did sort of a rehash of episode 4 for the new one. 30-40 years after Return of the Jedi, a teenager on Tatooine, living in an oppressed environment because there's a new ultra-Sith gaining power over the galaxy. Luke (now old and alone) takes on the Obi-Wan mentor role to the kid, and invites him to come with him on a journey to meet with the Jedi council about the new Sith.

The kid doesn't need to have the force, I think it would be cool if the new hero was more of an everyman; sort of a Lord of the Rings mentality of even the smallest person can change the world (galaxy). He can befriend a jedi or something to be his partner for the rest fo the trilogy (so the reverse Luke/Han dynamic). So Luke and the kid go on an adventure (I'll yadda yadda yadda the middle section, I'm sure it will be a fun action adventure) and you can throw in all the cameos and references you need in this section.

Then when they finally confront the new Sith lord, SHAMALAYAN TWIST, it turns out the villain is Han and Leia's son, who turned to the dark side at some point, thus making the rest of the new NEW trilogy directly linked back to the old ones.

Or maybe that's a little too cliche... I just think it would be more fun to tell a story about a protagonist that hasn't seen the galaxy, who comes from nothing and becomes everything, than a story that's just about some awesome Jedis who are super dominant or whatever.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:09:59 pm

Mark Hamill is the same age today, as Sir Alec Guinness was when Guinness first played Obi-Wan. Think about that.

Now you feel old indeed.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:31:09 pm

Lucas says most of the money he gets from this sale will go to charity. Some foundation for education.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:36:48 pm

Education, huh...? http://www.jedischool.org/

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:03:03 pm

Ha! Love it!

It wouldn't bother me if he kept it all. As much contempt I have for the hypocrisy of his treatment of the original, Lucas, as much as anyone ever, has earned every nickel of however many billions the enterprise has raked in.

I'm just still surprised at how little cash it took to make the deal. He's clearly banking on the stock, which probably does have a little more upside now than it did Monday morning. LOL

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:14:47 am

After sleeping through this:

I found this (made before the acquisition - seems eerily similar to Robot Chicken, only in CG):

Good for George for starting a foundation. He already has a very comfortable nest egg. He lost much of his initial fortune in his divorce, but made much of it back after inflation.

So he started Pixar, sold it to Steve jobs, who then sold it to Disney. And now he has sold the rest of his companies to Disney.

Not mentioned so far in this thread are the following topics:

1) Will there be a complete Star Wars theme park?

2) Will the Holiday Special be rebooted with present day music guests?

3) Will Disney find a job for Hayden Christensen and Jake Lloyd? Maybe as cast members at the Magic Kingdom. Hayden can operate a jungle Cruise boat and Jake can serve hot cocoa at the Alpenhaus.

4) Will Han, Luke, Leia and Lando be re-cast with present day 30-something actors for a Jedi sequel taking place soon after the Endor battle? Why not reboot Star Wars.

The droids and creatures are timeless and many people can do the voices - C3PO, R2, Chewie and Ackbar will live forever.

5) Lucas says he has treatments for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 after saying for 20 years that he did not. What else is he hiding?

6) Will Disney release the silent black and white documentary style secret edit of Episode IV? Not likely.
http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?categoryid=22&p2_articleid=77

7) Will 40-somethings ever get tired of this stuff? Not likely!

Disney produced Episodes 7,8,9,10,11,12? They say they'll release a movie every two years forever. Bring it on.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:39:46 am

Just learned that Lucas invited Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill to lunch last Summer and told them the next 3 movies would happen, and swore them to secrecy.

Interpret any way you like.

Harrison Ford only accepts lunch invitations if they are written on the back of a check for $35million, so he was not present!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:45:26 am

I'll take George at his word that he only started working on these recently, presumably when the deal looked like it was going to go down.

Han was my favorite character in the first three, but I think he's also the most expendable going forward. I'd love if Leah was on board, but if we're to have any continuity, Luke in an Obi Wan woke is the only critical one in my mind.

That said, I'd almost rather NOT see much continuity. I'd still like to see Luke there, but mostly to hand off the next round of the story to another thread. Part of the issue for me with the prequels is that they forced the storytelling into unnatural shapes. Even if the entire saga was Darth Vader's story....and I don't agree for a minute that it was; that too forced the storytelling into unnatural shapes in the first real trilogy to create a jarringly DIScontinous ending....among the lessons of Star Trek is that you can do better stories that actually stay truer to the storytelling universe if you DON'T force continuity.

Because, really, is there any reason to believe that Jake Lloyd to Hayden Christenson to the team that created the Darth Vader we first met as any kind of straight line that led to that squishy Curly Howard looking dude at the end? No. Of course not.

That's the thing. The hero's journey has to have an arc. Whiny pumpkinhead to whiny Annie to truly compelling bad guy to inexplicably squishy looking guy is not an arc. Although maybe Annie became evil because he was called Annie, a la A Boy Named Sue, and pumpkinhead becomes squishy guy. So there's
your continuity.

Anyway, I think we'll all be better served by starting over. Number 7 doesn't need to have anything to do with 6, and probably the less the better.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:57:59 am

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]