FORUMS: list search recent posts

Iron Man III

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Iron Man III
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:03:13 pm

Teaser trailers now have trailers of their own. Someone call Dennis Miller or Xhibit.

The talk on the street is, the third movie combines major classic Stark villain The Mandarin, with a story from last year's comic series called "Extremis", which is about Stark competing with and then ingesting andusing biological nano-machines that increase his powers and the abilities of his suit technology to new levels.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Iron Man III
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:07:53 pm

Extremis was a fun story in the comics but ultimately it unbalances Iron Man's relative power and makes him boring in a Superman-like way. The comics went on to write a plot where Stark voluntarily gets purged if Extremis by Reed Richards, and is no longer quite as godlike in power.

There was another story line in the comic that I thought was the best in years, called "hypervelocity" much of that one concerns Stark battling inside his own head, fighting a piece of malware named absynthe ( a call-out to his alcoholism) that's trying to erase his mind and re-write him, while he fights physical battles in the real word at the same time.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:29:56 pm

Yay, another super-hero movie where the hero quits or is hurt for most of the movie while he asks himself the meaning of being a super-hero. Am I the only person who is starting to miss kick-ass fight scenes and adventure in their super-hero movies?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:45:46 pm

I think you're going to be happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aV8H7kszXqo#!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:49:40 pm

I think this looks pretty great! Looks like it's taking a darker tone than the others. I hope it doesn't go too grim though, because I've always liked the Iron Man stuff for their snarky (Starky?) humor.

But... as I said in my Lawless review, I'm sick of seeing Guy Pierce in things...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 23, 2012 at 4:46:51 pm

I cried out when the Malibu mansion was blown up. That's a real location, BTW. Looks so Jetsons' cool.

Seeing the full length trailer, it looks like a pastiche of five different storylines from the comics. The suits blowing up suggests a story line from the comics where Tony destroys his own tech to keep it out of the government's hands. The War Machine armor is painted to look like Iron Patriot, a story line where the government succeeds in taking one of Stark's older suits away from him, repainting it, and putting it to jingoistic PR uses.

Sir Ben Kingsley plays The Mandarin, who originally is a Chinese peasant who finds ten rings of power in a crashed alien spaceship, and uses their techno-magic to carve out an empire. Mandarin was originated in a different time, as a sort of commie Ming The Merciless type, and there's been a lot of hand-wringing about cultural sensitivity regarding that ever since and especially in these films. The scuttlebutt is that he's been retconned a bit to be a sort of generic terrorist archetype now, and the rings are no longer alien technology capable of various powers.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 23, 2012 at 5:27:06 pm

I agree, it looks great, but if Stark is not snarky (nicely said Scott) and he is mopey for most of the movie and rarely fights then I'm probably going to be bored. The Dark Knight Rises was better than the Avengers critically if you want to talk about characters, subtext, telling a story with the camera and all of that stuff, but the Avengers was a hell of a lot more fun. When I think of a super-hero movie my expectations line up more with The Avengers than they do Dark Knight Rises. Unless they are selling me Unbreakable. That was a great movie with a great trailer. Worked well as a stand alone drama, but also worked great as a surprise super-hero movie. But that wasn't a marquee Marvel hero with two previous movies.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:15:21 pm

Jeff, so telling the story of one character in 90 minutes can be deeper than trying to tell the stories of five or more characters in the same amount of time? Who knew? This has always been a problem in previous Batman movies as well: the more villains they cram in to one movie, the less detailed the character development and the less satisfaction you get as a viewer.

In Iron Man II, you got just enough Justin Hammer to establish his basic parameters, but it's really all Whiplash and Iron Man there, with a smattering of War Machine for spice. Only Whiplash and Iron Man have any character arc of significance there over the entire length of the movie. Pepper Potts is a continuation of the arc from the first movie.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:58:28 pm

I think the Marvel franchise has done a great job with their films.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:58:22 am

It looks great.

If comic book characters raise red flags of unpolitically correctness then they should stop making them. Comic book characters are naturally caricatures of reality and/or based upon current events. So many heroes and villains from the 50's were created by nuclear or atomic accidents because the 1950's were full of cold war scariness.

Heck when the Phantom Menace came out people criticized the racist overtones of the Neimoidian and Gungan accents. Seriously? Aliens have to have some accent.

Poor Pepper.

M.C.Ohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]