FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emmy Awards 2012

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Emmy Awards 2012
on Sep 24, 2012 at 6:46:43 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the Emmy Awards?

Full list of winners here:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/emmys/la-et-st-emmy-nominatio...

Typically they don't screw up too badly on the Drama side of things. I liked Homeland, but didn't think it was better than most of the other shows it was up against. It was kind of a plodding, mediocre build up to an INCREDIBLE season finale. The Homeland season finale was honestly one of the best episodes of any drama show this year. But still, as a whole, it wasn't better than the other nominees. Here's how I score the Best Drama nominees:

Breaking Bad, season 4 --- 10 out of 10
Game of Thrones, season 2 --- 9 out of 10
Boardwalk Empire, season 2 --- 8.5 out of 10
Homeland, season 1 --- 7.5 out of 10
Mad Men and Downton Abbey: Haven't watched nominated seasons

All this being said, I look forward to Homeland season 2 because I think the show has potential to be really awesome in the future.

I was happy HBO's Game Change movie won a whole bunch of stuff. I've now watched it three times (two of which casually in the background while I did other things), and I still find it really entertaining.

On the comedy side... Almost nothing changes ever. The Emmy voters still seem to think Modern Family is the funniest show in the history of television. Nominating four people from the same show in the same Supporting Actor category is an insult to anyone who actually watches funny television. Bill Hader getting nominated for SNL was a step forward though, even if he didn't win. And Louis C.K. winning two Emmys was the best thing to happen to the comedy side of the awards in a long time.

But... Jon Cryer beating out Alec Baldwin, Louis C.K., and Don Cheadle for ANY award in ANY setting is just wrong. Just wrong. What a cater to the mindless masses. Though, I try not to let it get to me. Just remember Ron Swanson.

As far as the actual awards show goes...

-Opening video was a 7 out of 10.
-Jimmy Kimmel did mainly nothing special as a host. His Josh Grobin "In Memoriam" to himself was kinda funny, though.
-I laughed at the Julia Louis Dreyfus / Amy Poehler bit.
-I laughed at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert/Jimmy Fallon fight.
-I laughed when Tracy Morgan yelled for his cousins "Pancake" and "Kool-Aid" to fill some seats.
-I started watching 35-40 minutes late, so I was able to fast forward through (most of) the commercials and the more boring speeches. So it didn't feel like that long of a broadcast in DVR mode.

Overall, kind of a big "EHHH"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Emmy Awards 2012
on Sep 24, 2012 at 9:44:34 pm

Maybe I'll watch it on Hulu sometime:-)

I have come around to being blase' about the awards because I think the way they stack shows against each other isn't always right or fair. Past the honor of getting nominated, I don't care who wins. I'm quite a bit more respectful of technical Emmy winners than I am of shows. That's a different argument completely.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:30:32 am

The thing to remember about the Emmys is that each nomination submits a single episode. So each of the Best Drama nominees submitted one episode. That's it. I think you can agree that the absolute best episode of Homeland was better than the best SINGLE EPISODE of any other drama....which I agree, doesn't necessarily relate to the season as a whole.

Same with actors and everything else. Imagine a 3-game baseball series. You judge it on all 27 innings. The Emmys are judged on the single best inning. That might be the one where one team scores 6 runs....so they win...even if they actually lost all 3 games.

Kind of annoying to be judged on such a small sample, but if you think about a conscientious voter, even watching a couple of unfamiliar shows really eats into your time, and it's almost easier to be swayed by a single ep of a show you've never seen.

Say I watch Breaking Bad every week. Love it. I've never seen Homeland, but they ship me the finale and HOLY SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED???? DANG!!! Wow, that gets my vote for sure!!!

Even though if that same voter saw all 13 eps, they could easily have said, 13 episodes vs. 13 episodes, Breaking Bad wins.

Having said that, I thought Homeland deserved to win. No matter what else was true, Clare Danes deserved the Emmy. For me, it was the final TWO episodes. One was lightning fast, every shot dizzying. The other heightened the drama almost excruciatingly high by moving sooo slowly, I was jumping out of my skin. Insane how intense the slow scenes were.

I'm also a huge Damien Lewis fan, and was happy to see him win. Watch Life on Hulu some time. There's a gimmicky documentary structure for the first few episodes - each character speaking to the camera at some point - but it really catches fire. One of my all-time faves.

For comedy, all I can say is that I'm thrilled that nobody from Big Bang won. That was enough.

As a SHOW, though, I found the Emmys themselves pretty entertaining this time, which is definitely rarely the case.....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:22:17 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Say I watch Breaking Bad every week. Love it. I've never seen Homeland, but they ship me the finale and HOLY SHIT, WHAT JUST HAPPENED???? DANG!!! Wow, that gets my vote for sure!!!

Even though if that same voter saw all 13 eps, they could easily have said, 13 episodes vs. 13 episodes, Breaking Bad wins."

That kind of sucks. I knew that the writing and directing categories are single episode samples, but that's not cool if the overall Best Series award isn't based on... well, the whole series!

[Tim Wilson] "'m also a huge Damien Lewis fan, and was happy to see him win. Watch Life on Hulu some time. There's a gimmicky documentary structure for the first few episodes - each character speaking to the camera at some point - but it really catches fire. One of my all-time faves."

He's good in Band of Brothers too. He's got a great American accent down for a British chap.

[Tim Wilson] "For comedy, all I can say is that I'm thrilled that nobody from Big Bang won. That was enough."

AGREED. Still, Two and a Half Men is just a lesser of the two evils, though. Jon Cryer beat out Louis C.K. for comedy acting. JON CRYER BEAT OUT LOUIS C.K. FOR COMEDY ACTING. JON CRYER BEAT OUT LOUIS C.K. FOR COMEDY ACTING. I know it doesn't really matter in the end, but the world felt a little backwards after that. At least for an hour or so.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:54:53 am

[Scott Roberts] " I knew that the writing and directing categories are single episode samples, but that's not cool if the overall Best Series award isn't based on... well, the whole series!"

It's one thing for cablers where it's 13 episodes tops, but it could be 24 of 'em when you're talking about the traditional networks. And frankly, I think that 24 half-hours broken up with commercial breaks into EXACTLY the same length every week is insanely more difficult than 13 episodes that can vary in length within a 10-15 minute range. They simply shouldn't be in the same category.

Anyway, you raised a good point, so I checked for SERIES...and there's no set number required. It's considered truly, truly bad form to send out the whole season, and understandably so. Even 5 hours of 5 shows is 25 hours. If one of those 5-ers was a 13-ep package, now you're talking about 33 hours... plus whatever other areas you're voting in. Insanity.

Homeland sent 4, but they had also sent the pilot separately for the writers and directors.

Ditto Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Palestinian Chicken episode. They sent out 3 eps total, but surely this was the one that went to all of the single episode categories.

Breaking Bad sent all 8 episodes that have aired so far this season, but Face Off was of course the one that got extra love for directing and Giancarlo Esposito's appearance...and disappearance. LOL Aaron Paul sent in End Times.

I would have PICKED BB to win Best Drama, but I LOVED Homeland far more, so I'm pretty happy. It actually tied with Game of Thrones for most Emmys. I have no problem with that.

BTW, Damien Lewis submitted the finale, which was actually pretty ballsy. Definitely the right one to send, but he had to trust people to pick up the story. Claire Danes was probably going to win no matter what she sent, but the next to last episode, The Vest, was also the right one. Amazing, amazing.

I'm surprised that Mandy Patinkin didn't get nominated though. His work on the show, including in The Vest, is as good as anyone in the game.

Most nominated PERSON at the Emmys? Same as last year: Louis CK, with 7 noms this time.

Scott. Dude. Bubba. You should be dancing in the street. That he won 2 is remarkable.

But note that they were both for writing. Anybody can watch ONE episode and say, wow, that's really well written. But for a lot of people, ONE episode is not enough to establish that he's hilarious. Because he's not. Genius, yes. One of the brightest talents TV will ever see. But if we're playing a game of "one of things is not like the others," the "not like the others" is more often a problem than not when it comes to awards shows.

I'm not just talking about fans of shows like Modern Family. I can imagine Emmy-voting fans of Breaking Bad, Homeland, Downton Abbey, whatever, watching their first ever episode of Louis and thinking, "I just don't get the fuss. I don't like this guy and I don't think he's funny." If more people GOT Louis CK, there would be more shows like Louis. There will never be another Louis CK, but you get what I'm saying.

This is not to say that TV is a wasteland and that Emmy voters are clueless. Louis CK was nominated for SEVEN EMMYS. More than ANYONE ELSE. And he won two of them!

Compare this to 0 for 17 for Mad Men. LOL

I think Louis winning 2 Emmys makes him the night's biggest winner right behind Homeland, but still. DUDE! You now live in a world where Louis CK won 2 Emmys on Sunday!

Not only do more people watch Cryer, they LIKE the guy. He's been a truly nice guy in the industry for 30 years. I think that a lot of the award was for staying nice (and, frankly, laying low) during the Sheen debacle, and who, your taste notwithstanding LOL, has been doing good work for a really long time.

I can imagine a lot of voters throwing him a bone because they were voting for Louis in other categories. I don't know, but as much as I wasn't expecting Cryer to win (I was thinking Baldwin, even though I don't get the love for 30 Rock...which was shut out for the second year in a row), I think we're a long way from Louis winning for Best Actor, for the same reason I don't know that Larry Charles will ever win, and he's another guy that in a parallel universe WOULD win. It's just that in THIS universe, for a lot of people, "I feel squirmy and uncomfortable watching this guy" does not equal "great comic acting."

I hadn't really noticed until I looked into the whole number of episodes for series thing, but Emmy campaigning is actually a pretty big deal. Here are some examples if you're inclined.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]