FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Accidental" film producer dies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
"Accidental" film producer dies
on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:04:21 am

What do the following films have in common?

Driving Miss Daisy.
Chariots of Fire.
Dances With Wolves.
Gandhi.
The Killing Fields.
March of the Penguins.

Answer: They were all produced by Jake Eberts. He was a failed engineer/salesman/banker who found success as a producer. I'd never heard of him until today. His forte was deciding which passed-over projects to finance. He died September 6; his obituary is in various newspapers.

There are four best-picture Oscars in that list. The obit I read reported that Eberts disliked Hollywood, and thought forecasting audiences' response was a waste of time. His technique was to choose stories that were important to him, because he thought they would be important to other people too.

I think his company, Goldcrest, also produced Restrepo, but I don't know whether Eberts was involved.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: "Accidental" film producer dies
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:29:05 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing Bob. Read up on him a little this morning. An English guy who who has done small independent stuff, to bigger Hollywood, animation, documentaries...pretty wide scope. He wrote a book on Goldcrest too, My Indecision Is Final: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Goldcrest Films.

[Bob Cole] "His technique was to choose stories that were important to him, because he thought they would be important to other people too."

That's pretty cool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]