FORUMS: list search recent posts

You can't make money in Hollywood. Or can you?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Jeff Breuer
Re: You can't make money in Hollywood. Or can you?
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:24:14 pm

Ouch!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:50:46 pm

Unbelievable that people would promise someone something and then go out of their way to make sure they never get it. Do all actors get a cut of the profits? Is that a Union thing or did they ask the actor to work for less money and he would get a cut of the profits as his pay off?

I remember David Duchovny got paid less then he normally would to do the X-files so he cut get a cut of the profits. Fox sold the syndication rights to FX (whom they own) for something like pennies on the dollar. David Duchovny had to sue them. Not sure if it worked out for him.

People who say,"It's just business, it's not personal." Make me mad. You can't have a code of ethics for your self and then a different set for how you operate you business.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:59:23 pm

Well I remember having a film class with an established line producer who told the class to always take the money upfront because of this accounting stuff. But if you recall the Simpsons actors all said they would take pay cuts to get points on the end. I'm sure that would have the possibility to make big bucks because of syndication, provided they don't pull this Darth Vader deal or that X-Files to FX stunt.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:02:52 pm

Use the Advertising and Publicity 10% Override Expense, Luke.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:48:23 pm

the photo in the linked story, of course, shows Sebastian Shaw, a British character actor who was probably paid scale for 2 days of work shooting the mask removal scene. Question is did David Prowse receive anything for SW or Empire?

Clearly someone on Order of the Phoenix made money. The actors of course got paid up front and all of the artists got their salaries. But if $500 million in gross revenue results in a net loss, then Warner Brothers should just stop making movies. If a small business had expenses 20% higher than the gross sales that business would be out of business, or at least featured on one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant makeover shows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]