FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:35:56 pm

http://theforce.net/topstory/story/Raiders_Of_The_Lost_Ark_Coming_To_Select...

A one week run in IMAX starting Sept 7.
They restored the film for the upcoming Blu-Ray release. Not sure if they actually up-rezzed for IMAX?

Lucas and Spielberg were involved in the restoration, which means a few things are certain:

The face melting Nazi and the ghosts at the end will now be CGI and look awful.

The guy who twirls his sword and who Indy shoots will now have a gun and shoot at Indy first.

The monkey will be CGI - they never got the actual monkey to look realistic.

All swastikas will be replaced with a fictional emblem, so as to not offend anyone.

Most of the guns will be replaced with walkie talkies

The opening title will now read:

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of Lost Ark

or perhaps Indiana Jones Episode VI: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Oh, and the original unaltered negative will be destroyed.

When I see this in IMAX I will report back as to which of the above changes have been made. They are all likely to improve the film for modern audiences.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark IMAX
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:51:18 pm

Most of the guns will be replaced with walkie talkies...count me in :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:15:25 pm

Spielberg pledged to put the guns back in to the next edition of ET. At Comic-Con maybe? The room exploded in applause.

The thing he said at the same presentation that disturbed me is, now that he has kids, he would never make a movie like Close Encounters where a guy abandons his family. I'd hope that Steve being a family man now would add even more weight to how far Dreyfus's character had gone off the deep end. As much as anything, the movie was about his obsessions. He didn't leave his family. His wife left and took the kids because they were all terrified.

Anyway, I take that tangent as a reminder that there are 3 versions of Close Encounters out there, and you can BUY THEM ALL. This part is almost stupefying to me: YOU CAN GET THEM ALL ON THE SAME BLU-RAY FOR $14.99!!!!

There's the version the studio made him release, the version that he was able to extract as a compromise for a theatrical re-release, and then the version that STEVEN thinks is definitive. I'll be honest, I've never watched it. There were a lot of things that I preferred in the second version, and I'll probably watch the third some day...but I saw the first version a dozen times in theaters before the dozens more I watched it at home, and THAT's the version I fell in love with.

So I trust Steven to fight the good fight for Indie, and wish that George wasn't such a poor steward of Star Wars...the most charitable way I may ever have said that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2012 at 1:51:44 pm

More snakes. Digital snakes.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2012 at 1:54:37 pm

I would like to see Spielberg's take on a steampunk movie, like an adaptation of Phoglio's "Girl Genius". On second thought, I think the man for that is Del Toro.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:09:45 pm

[Mike Cohen] " The guy who twirls his sword and who Indy shoots will now have a gun and shoot at Indy first."

Great jokes Mike. Well played.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 13, 2012 at 2:25:31 pm

I saw Raiders in the IMAX last night... Aside from it being an amazing movie to begin with, there wasn't really anything special about the screening. It actually didn't LOOK very good. It was blurry at times, and it looked like the picture wasn't blending how it was supposed to. It felt like they just projected a DVD copy of Raiders on the IMAX screen. ...at least the sound was good.

THAT BEING SAID, I realized as I was watching it that it's been a while since I've seen it. I've watched Temple and Crusade on TV within the last year, but I don't think I've watched Raiders in a few years. So it was nice see have little moments that I forgot about, like the nonchalant way that Indy and Sallah prepare to enter the map room. Or the whole scene on the boat with Marion trying to mend Indy's wounds.

So even if this wasn't a restoration of the original film print or anything, it was still fun to go to. I love seeing classic films I didn't get a chance to see in theaters on the big screen (I was -3 during Raiders original theatrical run). If theaters want to keep taking money out of my wallet, all they have to do is keep screening old films. Will somebody screen Apocalypse Now already! C'mon!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:25:04 am

so no walkie talkies then?!

I'd like to see Terminator 2 uprezzed to IMAX, and perhaps Star Wars (the original unaltered 1977 version which of course does not exist on film).

Seeing as Ep II and II are coming out in Sept/Oct 2013, IMAX Star Wars is probably a long shot. Although if Lucas thinks he can make still more money he'll do it!

Perhaps Superman The Movie in IMAX.

Jurassic Park is another good candidate for IMAX.

Films shot on film you could see being scanned up to IMAX without a problem. But what about films shot at 1920x1080? Is there enough resolution in HDCAM or whatever to uprez to IMAX?

Didn't the COW do an article about this?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:02:32 am

[Mike Cohen] "But what about films shot at 1920x1080? Is there enough resolution in HDCAM or whatever to uprez to IMAX?"

Roger Deakins did a presentation at IBC talking about the ARRI Alexa, shooting ARRIRAW at 1920x1080 for the new James Bond and says it looks killer in IMAX. The workflow is so much easier there's no way he's going 4K.

Avatar was shot at 1920x1080, and looked pretty nice uprezzed to IMAX. Ditto Avengers this summer. ARRI, 1920x1080, nifty in IMAX.

re: IMAX wishlist: Sony is screening a newly restored 4K print of Lawrence of Arabia tomorrow night in their William Holden theater. I'd definitely put that on my IMAX wishlist. I saw the 4K print of Taxi Driver there last year- goes on the IMAX list for sure.

Jaws? Top of the list I think.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:06:56 pm

Avatar looked fantastic on IMAX. I was surprised when I found out that is was shot at 1920 x 1080.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:39:08 pm

This article from the IMAX folks helps a bit, though does not really describe how DMR actually works (secret sauce):
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/imax-101-series-a-deeper-dive-into-dmr/

For films shot in 1080p, the raw/uncompressed data is the nearest equivalent to a 35mm negative source, vs an xdcam or p2 1920x1080 piece of data.

So that begs the question, can non-RED, non-Alexa 35mb/s hd go the IMAX route? (Not that you would want to do that!)

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Sep 27, 2012 at 6:14:51 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Roger Deakins did a presentation at IBC talking about the ARRI Alexa, shooting ARRIRAW at 1920x1080 for the new James Bond and says it looks killer in IMAX."

Thanks for the info Tim! I'm really interested in these features shot at 1080 and will definitely take note when I watch Skyfall. I found a copy of his interview with Arri at IBC, link is below. He mainly talks about resolution and IMAX and resolution in video 3. I didn't hear him mention 1080 or RAW and even mentioned he might like a "few more resolution" so this may not be the exact talk you referred to, but I enjoyed it.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/09/roger-deakins-talking-about-the-arri-alexa-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]