FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ocean's Thirteen

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Ocean's Thirteen
on Jul 25, 2012 at 2:19:27 pm

I just watched Ocean's Thirteen for the first time. I missed most movies in 2007 because I was focused on creating my first COW DVD. I didn't even realize there was a third movie. I watched the 2nd one on a plane...you know, the planes that have a hand full of TVs for everyone to watch and the one closest to my seat looked so bad that Brad Pitt and Matt Damon where easy to confuse. Maybe that is why I didn't like it but it just seemed silly.
But as for Ocean's Thirteen, what a great film. It followed the flow of the first one but raised the stakes. I thought it had one of the coolest openings for a film. I loved how they are in the middle of this big safe robbery where they had to blast a hole in a wall and Brad Pitt gets a phone call in the middle of it and then just walks away leaving the helpers wondering what in the world just happened. Great movie with cool dialogue and is worth watching again.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Ocean's Thirteen
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:11:49 pm

I agree. I heard a rumor that they made 13 to make amends for making 12. I'm glad they did!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:20:11 pm

I saw the first one near the time of its release and liked it a lot. Then I saw Ocean's Twelve and Thirteen on like the same day on DVD a couple years ago. So I blend them together as one movie. I know one (or both?) of them has a comical super thief rappelling down buildings and Al Pacino was the villain, right? I forgot which one is which, but I enjoyed both of the sequels for their silly fun.

My only complaint about the series is there is no real conflict because nothing ever really goes horribly wrong for the good guys. And when it does, they always explain how it was meant to go wrong to their advantage later. So you just kind of sit back and watch the good guys WALLOP the bad guys, and that's not a terrible thing because it's all very entertaining.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:01:32 pm

I just really enjoyed the dialog in the third one. Like when Yen needs to jump past a bunch of elevators moving super fast and he says he can't do it. And then they say he did it on a bullet train in a movie. Then he says it was CGI. Then you hear, oh, those where not your feet.

Great lines like this when talking about how to shut down the Greco.

Roman Nagel: You do know what a magnetron is?
Danny Ocean: [pause] Something that screws up the Greco?

As for nothing going horribly wrong, in Oceans 13 the device that is digging the tunnel underground breaks so they need to buy a new one. They don't have the money to do it so they have to turn to the bad guy in the first one for help. Which causes them to have to raise the stakes higher then they want. But I guess that is their advantage once they pull it off. I just like seeing how the plan unfolds.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:11:44 pm

[Scott Roberts] " So you just kind of sit back and watch the good guys WALLOP the bad guys, and that's not a terrible thing because it's all very entertaining."

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I'm a big popcorn movie fan. I love a lot of movies that are just fun to watch, like Ocean's 11 & 13. I feel the same way about video games. My cousin and I still play Streets of Rage on my old Sega just to beat up a bunch of henchmen for an hour. We also team up on NHL '94 (Swingers shout out!) and try to score 20 points. Sometimes fun, mindless entertainment is rewarding!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:40:41 pm

I love popcorn movies as well and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. And I think Danny Ocean is just really good at turning lemons into lemonade. :-)

I do enjoy watching the Ocean's films wondering if that was supposed to happen or not since they don't tell you until the end.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 26, 2012 at 3:46:02 pm

[Jeff Breuer] " My cousin and I still play Streets of Rage on my old Sega just to beat up a bunch of henchmen for an hour."

Now, if you could get through all of Streets of Rage 3 without any kind of conflict, then I'd be impressed! :) No cheat codes, either!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 26, 2012 at 4:03:03 pm

It's worth remembering that the point of the 1960 Ocean's 11 was for 5 pals to hang out, drink and womanize, and get paid. The stars were Peter Lawford, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., and Joey Bishop of course, but the supporting cast was pretty notable too: honorary Rat Packer Shirley MacLaine, Angie Dickinson, Cesar Romero (I'm a huge fan of his), and Norman Fell, who went on to be Mr. Roper in Three's Company. (How many people star in two properties with apostrophes in the title?) Red Skelton makes a cameo as himself.

Lawford was the one who had bought the rights to the story, which was originated by a gas station attendant. (You can look it up.)

You should watch it if you haven't. It's a giggle, too light to even be called a popcorn movie. Call it a cotton candy movie. It's really, really dated, but it's easy to imagine that they had a nonstop party while making it.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

The typos here are most likely because I'm, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39:27 pm

[Scott]
My only complaint about the series is there is no real conflict because nothing ever really goes horribly wrong for the good guys.

Okay, so I was thinking about it. In Oceans 13 when things go wrong they are just good at adapting to the situation. When the Bad Guy (Al Pacino) decides to run prints on the gadget guy (who the police said ridged the card dispensers) to find out who his associates are they have to jump into action to make sure Al Pacino doesn't find out who the crew is. That is why Don Cheadle had to pretend to be the motorcycle stunt man to distract Al Pacino while they hacked into his computer to change their photos. That was not part of the original plan. Most the movie is finding out that things are not going to work the way they want to such as how thick the floors are to steal the diamonds, so they have to look at another option that doesn't work which leads them to the option that does. Really liked the movie and this is worth checking out again.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]