FORUMS: list search recent posts

I Shoulda Seen it in the Theater

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
I Shoulda Seen it in the Theater
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:48:34 am

Just saw Hellboy II on DVD. Silly plot, but amazing visuals. Parts of it almost looked stop motion, but no doubt CG made to look that way. And best of all the film fit my criteria for sci-fi or fantasy film excellence - extraordinary characters doing ordinary things. Hellboy and Abe Sapien getting drunk and singing Barry Manilow, while deadly enemies and horrific events unfolded around them. In other words, tender moments between supernatural beings. Doesn't always work.

Surprisingly this was directed by Guillermo del Toro. The Hobbit is in good hands...hopefully.

Next time a big budget effects movie is in the theater, even if it looks stupid, I'm shelling out my $8.50 to see it in the format intended by the filmmakers. I will dutifully leave my intellect in the parking lot, but sometimes you just need to enjoy the show.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: I Shoulda Seen it in the Theater
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:41:07 am

I think Guillermo del Toro is one of the finest directors there is at this moment in time, and there's a whole lot more going on in the Hellboy movies than most, simply because he was at the helm.

I too was very surprised that I would like the Hellboy movies so much, but with Larry Gordon producing (48 Hours, Die Hard, Predator, Boogie Nights, Field of Dreams, etc, etc., etc.) and del Toro directing, it's really no wonder. These are two guys who really know story.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]