FORUMS: list search recent posts

A List of Many Many Upcoming Films that are not Sequels, Remakes or Prequels

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
A List of Many Many Upcoming Films that are not Sequels, Remakes or Prequels
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:15:29 pm

Looks like some gems in the mix and seemingly no end of aliens attacking Earth / Robot war ideas.

http://io9.com/5921089/upcoming-science-fiction-and-fantasy-movies-that-are...

Talk amongst yourselves.

M.Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: A List of Many Many Upcoming Films that are not Sequels, Remakes or Prequels
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:56:38 pm

Or zombies. Thanks Mike. It's nice to see more "original" stuff coming out. But a lot of these still seem like adaptations of books, comics, short films, etc. I have a hard time believing there aren't a lot of great original screenplays out there. Maybe Producers are really insecure and feel the need some sort of built in audience...? There has to be some great original screenplays written specifically for the screen in the sci-fi/action/adventure genre out there, right?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: A List of Many Many Upcoming Films that are not Sequels, Remakes or Prequels
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:22:55 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "There has to be some great original screenplays written specifically for the screen in the sci-fi/action/adventure genre out there, right?"

I can provide a complete list of original sci-fi/action/adventure stories which can be produced for under $100 million each! Contact me offline!

HAHA

Mike

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 28, 2012 at 4:48:38 pm

I'm still not sold on the idea of "originality" = good. I'll see as many JJ Abrams Star Trek movies as he feels like making, and I'm willing to bet that each of them will be among the best movies that year, sci-fi or no.

And if we're serious about talking "originality," don't we have to leave out adaptations? That means no Farenheit 451, no Blade Runner, no War of the Worlds, no Minority Report, etc etc. Because if we allow first-time, non-sequel adaptations to count, and I do, then we have to be ready for more Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunters.

Here's a list of adaptations on that list: World War Z (READ THIS NOW), Ready Player One (READ THIS NOW), Neuromancer (can't believe this hasn't been adapted before - another READ NOW), Life of Pi, Mortal Instruments, Robopacolypse...oh wait, EVERY MOVIE ON THE LIST is an adaptation of a specific book...oh wait, except for Jack the Giant Killer and Noah. NOAH?!?

Oops.

Original does NOT equal good. So sez Honest Abe.

[Mike Cohen] "I can provide a complete list of original sci-fi/action/adventure stories which can be produced for under $100 million each! Contact me offline! "

Another reason I don't mind "non-originals" - Serenity, $39m.

But having mentioned Minority Report, which I thought was pretty damn original: $102 million.

Alien: $11 million

(another vote for sequels, though: Aliens FTW. Better in every way I think. Budget: EIGHTEEN MILLION and change. Are you F^CKING KIDDING ME???? Yeah, yeah, inflation, etc. - but COME ON.)

Men In Black: $90m. OOPS, another adaptation (comic books)

I realllllly liked Chronicle (adapted by the filmmakers from their own short story): $12 million, grossed $126m

I could keep going (Shaun of the Dead was REALLY original, etc.), but there's some other potentially great stuff coming in 2012 that I didn't see on the iO9 list:

I'm REALLY excited by Gravity, directed by Alfonso Cuaron from an ORIGINAL script with his son. He's also editing. (You know that Cuaron's 3 Oscar nods are for editing and writing? I love this guy.) Stars Clooney and Bullock, and still comes in at $80m.

As I'm looking at this a little more, this may be the only really truly original picture in the discussion. But...

Cloud Atlas, with The Wachowskis, novel adaptation, $100m. (I have a feeling that that may have been a hard ceiling from the studio) Check the cast: Tom Hanks, Hugo Weaving, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon and Jim Broadbent. Tom typically takes his cut on the back end, but still, not exactly journeymen to get 'em all and the Wachowskis-brand sci-fi for that dough.

Iron Sky is another adaptation, but looks very promising. Nazis in space - what could go wrong? A lot of the funding is crowdsourced! Check the website: http://www.ironsky.net/

But as long as they're decent, I'm still not going to be in any way annoyed or disheartened by Dark Knight, James Bond or even Twilight. Tell me a good story, and I don't care where you got it. (And while I think it's politically offensive, I do think that Twilight spins a good yarn.)

I'll go further: many of the movies we care MOST about are sequels. I mentioned Aliens and Star Treks, but I could include Star Wars IV, Godfather II and a bunch of others, including for me, all the Harry Potters, which I thought ranged from really good to truly remarkable (especially #3, directed by my man Alfonso Cuaron.) And for all that I really, truly hated Prometheus, I'm glad it exists, I'm glad I went, and I genuinely hope there's a sequel. The world he created has some potential.

So I just don't find an obsession with originality good for movies or good for me. The obsession for both studios and audiences needs to be with quality.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 29, 2012 at 2:43:49 pm

I read World War Z earlier this year, and I can't imagine that the movie will represent much of the quality of the book. That's not to say it won't be good, but the book is basically a series of short stories, and none of them have intertwined or re-occuring characters. If the movie *is* good, it will probably be because it's somewhat original in the story, as I doubt they are going to use Brad Pitt for 10 minutes then move on to something else. Also, the most appeal part of the film so far, for me, is that an actor the caliber of Brad Pitt wants to be in a zombie movie.

Does anybody think Hansel and Gretl: Witch Hunters will be good?

Dinosaurs and Aliens? I hope this doesn't go straight to SyFy network.

Frankenweenie is about the furthest thing I would have expected to see in an article like this.

As for the other animated films, I'm actually pretty excited for Paranorman for some reason. Maybe because I liked Coraline. Also the trailer looks pretty good. Another animated movie trailer that looks awesome: Wreck It Ralph. Do want.

From the description of After Earth: "M. Night Shyamalan directs a post-post-apocalyptic film starring Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith." Well, that's almost the perfect sentence to write to never get me to see this movie.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 29, 2012 at 5:12:20 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I read World War Z earlier this year, and I can't imagine that the movie will represent much of the quality of the book.... Also, the most appeal part of the film so far, for me, is that an actor the caliber of Brad Pitt wants to be in a zombie movie.

Brad put a lot of energy into making the improbably well-executed adaptation of Moneyball work in his role as a producer, over four years of his personal involvement. He's produced or exec-produced nearly two dozen movies, starring in only a couple. (It happens that both Moneyball and Tree of Life popped up in the same year.) In fact, he shared an Oscar nomination as a producer for Scorsese's The Departed.

So I'm feeling better about WWZ because Brad's also producing.

There was a great article about his role as a producer for Moneyball in The Hollywood Reporter, which obviously includes a lot of other dimensions (Zaillian, Sorkin, Pfister, etc). After a lot of stops and starts over many years, he was basically given 5 days to save the movie AFTER the plug had been pulled. Cool story. Enjoyable as an insight into Brad in general too, which you might not have thought you'd enjoy. You will.

Here's his IMDb producer's credits. IMDb's new layout officially stinks, so you'll probably have to make another click or two to get to the list of his productions. Worth a look.

So I'm kinda liking the odds with WWZ. I can only guess that his character will be a composite, which could be okay...but I really am with you, Scott. Amazing, amazing book that felt adaptation-proof to me.

In fact, if Walking Dead hadn't gotten there first, I think it would have made a great anthology TV series, a la Night Gallery (different but thematically-related story/characters/setting every week).

Still, Brad as actor/producer is putting me at ease, something I wouldn't have imagined a couple of years ago.

Does anybody think Hansel and Gretl: Witch Hunters will be good?

I'm willing to bet a real pony that it will be awful. And I had been eagerly awaiting Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. And still waiting on Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, which could be gold in the right hands.

Dinosaurs and Aliens? I hope this doesn't go straight to SyFy network.

I just assumed it would. LOL

Frankenweenie is about the furthest thing I would have expected to see in an article like this.

Because it's a REMAKE. Do people forget his 1984 live-action, black and white short of Frankenweenie? Shelley Duvall, Daniel Stern, Paul Bartel (yes, the director of Eating Raoul is an actor here), and SOFIA COPPOLA, who I'm thrilled eventually found the right career. Below, her in a career that didn't quite work out, in a movie that REALLY didn't work out.

This thing was a train wreck on roller skates. Burton had a production deal with Disney and -- surprise! -- they were furious with this and canned him. They refused to release it in the US, and only released it in the UK after it sat on the shelf for a year. It's a DVD extra on Nightmare Before Christmas, and assume it will be on the eventual stop-motion Frankenweenie DVD as well.

But no, absolutely not an original THIS time.

And jeez, what happened to Burton? He's obviously done some great originals (including my favorite of his, the much-underrated Legend of Sleepy Hollow, with a great commentary by Burton, one of the best one-man commentaries I've heard), but wow, Mr. Remake: Batman, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, off the top of my head.

You know what might help? If he stopped working with Elfman. All of his scores sound the same

From the description of After Earth: "M. Night Shyamalan directs a post-post-apocalyptic film starring Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith." Well, that's almost the perfect sentence to write to never get me to see this movie."

Dang. Really. The only thing that could make it worse for me would be including the rest of the family.

But hey, the first feature shot with the Sony F65! Woo-hoo!

So there's my argument about originality vs. ORIGINALITY. You think that MNS's original script is going to be more ORIGINAL than, say, the first JJ Abrams Star Trek or the next James Bond movie? Maybe not the best comparison because of the difference in genres, but you see what I'm getting at.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:05:44 pm

[Tim Wilson] "M. Night Shyamalan directs a post-post-apocalyptic film starring Will Smith and his son Jaden Smith"

Yeah, hasn't Will Smith done this already? M.Night is at his best doing small character pieces.

Sixth Sense was about a boy and his therapist with a surprise ending. Good.

Unbreakable was about one guy's struggle with his own humanity. Good.

The Village was about the most disappointing ending ever. Poor.

Signs was about a father's struggle to let go of his wife's memory and be the father he was meant to be. Excellent IMHO.
Could have been about zombies or vampires - the aliens were incidental.

Lady in the Water was about...actually I don't believe I have seen the whole movie.

The Happening was about the end of the world too wasn't it? I don't recall a single thing about that movie.

The Last Airbender was about Adobe After Effects I think. Couldn't say for sure. Not sure anyone saw that movie in the US, but it did well internationally, and it seems to be on the late night TBS rotation.

So letting M.Night spend $100 million (?) is probably good for Will Smith who gets about $20 million of it, and great for the effects artists trying to keep up with their rent in Santa Monica, but I will bet a limited edition Sixth Sense bobble head doll that this movie will stink. I hope it doesn't, but it might.

Next Topic.

Mike

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 30, 2012 at 7:14:49 pm

See, this is why we play the game instead of letting the stats play for us.

I think that The Village is very nearly as good as The Sixth Sense, and Signs is his absolute worst. That movie made me as angry as any movie I've ever sat all the way through. THAT was what made me stop going to Mel Gibson movies (that other stuff was a decade later). I didn't watch anything by anyone who had anything to do with that movie for years, and my blood is starting to boil thinking about it again, so I'll stop.

But yet again, an absolute original, a classic auteur who, with one exception, has directed only his own scripts. I respect him immensely, and wish that every one of his movies made a fortune...but I'm more looking forward to the inevitable Batman reboot in 2017 than I am to personally sending one of MNS's movies. Again, I think that we have to admit that the primacy of originality as the core of authenticity is a meme, nothing more, and not a very useful one.

And for the record, Batman will likely be mini-rebooted ala Hulk/Avengers for a Justice League movie following a Wonder Woman movie.

And for the other record, I haven't seen Brave, but I feel comfortable reducing the theme (rather than plot, like you did for MNS, Mike) of every OTHER Pixar movie down to a single one: the Hero's transformative journey. There's a nuance here and there, and Brave appears from here to maybe be more of a throwback to classic Disney (presence/absence of a mother figure as hero/villain in the creation of ad hoc families...although Mulan is clearly both)....but still, more or less one theme, and pretty original, even in the sequels.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 7, 2012 at 11:11:49 pm

Well, it is coming out on BluRay Tuesday, here's a light-hearted accounting of some of the holes in the film:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]