FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jurassic Park

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Jurassic Park
on Jun 20, 2012 at 3:27:50 pm

I guess I've seen Jurassic Park to many times. I went to a Natural History museum that had lots of Dinosaur skeleton reconstructions on display. I kept thinking, why isn't "Newman" or some other Jurassic Park character who got eaton inside the belly of one of these skeletons?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Jurassic Park
on Jun 20, 2012 at 8:02:42 pm

Summer of 1993. I was living on campus, working part time at the campus tv studio giving tours, teaching a summer video class and helping with general studio upkeep; was working 3 days a week at a cable advertising studio doing donuts for local grocery stores and car dealerships. (This studio happened to be less than a mile from my future wife's house but we hadn't met yet.)

One weekend I took the train down to NYC to see my buddy who was interning for an insurance company. We went to a theater in Greenwich Village to see JP. It was August and hot. We waited to buy tickets in a very long line that went around the block. You would think it was a concert. Anyway the movie was so awesome compared to most other scifi of the era.

And Spielberg effectively used his Jaws formula - suggest danger without showing it, and then when you finally do show it, you show just enough to get the message across. Current filmmakers should learn some moderation, otherwise you will have a lot of John Carters and Clashes of Titans.

Featured in the movie were SGI computers which were used for 3D CGI rendering at the time and were also depicted as the central computers of Jurassic Park and a hint of VR which was a newish buzzword at the time. And of course a 12 year old girl knew enough UNIX to save the day. As...if.

Later that Summer I was taken to a SGI road show which demonstrated RISC processors (64-bit computing in the early 90's - believe it)and the then fantastical computing power. The next week I went to an AVID road show demonstrating this new thing called nonlinear editing.

A few months later we had a video expo on campus, and one of the displays was a VR setup using an SGI computer. Then in 1994 when I got my new job at Cine-Med we were doing some cutting edge virtual reality development using those same SGI Indigo and Crimson computers depicted in Jurassic Park. On a few occasions I traveled to conventions with a van full of equipment to demo our VR setup for medical folks. The inner workings included a lot of solder and duct tape, but it worked most of the time and got our company some good press. Alas here in 2012 VR is mainstream and you can run it on a laptop, but this all goes back to Jurassic Park. For me at least.

Jurassic Park 2 - blech!

Part 3 - really Spielberg, you need money that badly?

Part 4 - if it reunites Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum and maybe a Laura Dern cameo it might be worth a trip to the multiplex. But only with Spielberg at the help. A Joe Johnston movie might be too much CGI and not enough humans, although Captain America was very enjoyable.

MC

PS - Yes human skeletons inside a dino skeleton would be a nice joke.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:39:00 pm

I still think the T. Rex from the first movie looks awesome. But that's probably because it was mostly a puppet. The raptors in most scenes, and the brontosaurus that made everybody's draw drop in the 1990s... they don't hold up so well today. Still, Jurassic Park was one of my favorite childhood movies. I was 9 years old when it came out, I was *right* in the middle of my 9 year old boy dinosaur phase. So it's safe to say that I got the Official Jurassic Park electronic T. Rex action figure for my birthday that year. It ate all of my Ninja Turtles.

trex4.jpg

As for Jurassic Park 4... I just read yesterday that the Rise of the Planet of the Apes screenwriters have been given the job of writing the script. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but since I liked ROTPOTA, I'll consider it a "yeah, whatever, I'm OK with that" thing. Since the two sequels that already exist for JP weren't exactly masterpieces, it's not like I'm banking my whole movie year on another one. I'll just sit back and *hope* it's good.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:05:53 pm

Rise of the Apes was one of those movies that I heard nothing about until the first trailer, and it was somewhat enjoyable, if not a bit far fetched. Ok it was a lot far fetched but as movies of this genre goes it had its good moments.

Thus, the best way to make JP4 would be to not tell anyone about it.

Imagine if the original cast and director somehow secretly made JP4 and actually did an awesome job at it?!

MC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]