FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prometheus #2 Ridley Scott opening, behind.....

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Prometheus #2 Ridley Scott opening, behind.....
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:45:03 pm

Hannibal

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Prometheus #2 Ridley Scott opening, behind.....
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:59:42 am

Madagascar 3 opened on 100 more screens than Prometheus did. My son said: "Well, what safe movie will all the divorced moms and dads take THEIR kids to see this weekend?"

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:13:05 pm

Prometheus actually blew studio estimates out of the water: they were advising $30-35, instead of the $50+ it made. While other analysts felt that the studio was intentionally underestimating, NOBODY expected Prometheus to do as well as it did. Nobody. This is nothing but a success story.

It's also an observation about Hannibal, which remains Scott's biggest opening. I think that's pretty remarkable.

The other thing to note about Madagascar is that it's an outlier. The latest updates in kiddie franchises have been tanking. It's actually slightly down from M2 (only about 3%), but Kung Fu Panda 2 was fully HALF off the first one, and the first KFP was actually pretty good. (I didn't see the second one either, though. Oops.) The second Alvin movie was also off by half...but I'm surprised it was ONLY half.

So it's not fair to attribute all of M3's success to it being a safe kiddie movie. Right now, those are anything but safe. It's one of the highest-risk games you can be playing right now.

Not that Prometheus conceivably competed with M3 (except perhaps in the hearts of dads who'd rather have dropped off the kids at M3 and gone to see Prometheus themselves), but by any standard, Prometheus was a success. Full stop.

And as noted:

Prometheus: $15,032 per screen average
Madagascar 3: $14,166 PSA

Something I didn't mention because I was so surprised by Hannibal, but this is in fact the biggest opening for an Alien movie, although it sold roughly the same number of tickets as the previous champ, Alien vs. Predator.

Yowza.

Here's the number that concerns me: Cinemascore. B+ is considered average, reflecting the fact that most people who go to see a movie WANTED to go see the movie, and the fact is, most movies don't get a top score even from the people who are most excited about it.

Right? It's certainly true for me. I rarely give a movie an A....but I don't flunk many either. Maybe with an exception or two, but B+ is about right for my top movies in any given year.

Madagascar: A. Word of mouth made attendance go UP from Friday to Saturday. Prometheus: B. It dropped 25% from Friday to Saturday! That's a LOT more than average.

I'm hopeful, because this movie deserves a sequel (hahahaha)...but seriously, it does. And I always want Ridley Scott to win.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:07:27 pm

[Tim Wilson] "And I always want Ridley Scott to win."

Have you seen "The Duellists"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Duellists

But at the same time, there was this space-cowboy horse opera based on a Samurai film... and the rest, as they say.... and Ridley Scott decided to get out of the period-piece costume dramas. Unfortunate, but it didn't turn out so bad, after all. He teamed up with some extremely clever designers (Giger, O'Bannon, Mobius, et al), and here we are. And we also owe something to Heavy Metal magazine, too, I suppose.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]