FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Intouchables

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
The Intouchables
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:38:45 pm

I saw this movie with my wife because she was planning our date night. I had seen the trailer once and I thought it would be a really sappy drama about death and friendship and would have a few moments but would drag on and on. I really believed this. We got into the theater while the trailers were playing and I purposely opted to not go pee because I was tired and a little cranky and I figured the trailers were going to be the best part and now I would have an excuse to leave later.

Big mistake! The movie was hilarious. And two hours is a long time to laugh if you have to pee. But I was engaged in the movie and didn't want to leave. The story is what you would expect from the trailer, a black guy from the street becomes a caretaker (or whatever the official term is) for a rich white guy. They are polar opposites but bring balance to each other's lives. And it's really funny. Great dialogue mainly. A lot of humor is about surprises and often being inappropriate, and that's here. But don't take that the wrong way, the movie still has a lot of heart and sincerity. You really care for these characters. Both have their faults and short comings and come a long way by the end. And in spite of the humor, the movie doesn't do it in a way that ridicules the handicapped. In fact I found quite the opposite. I think a lot of people have the tenancy to treat somebody in a wheel chair with white gloves and forget that person is just as red blooded and sensible as you and me.

So the movie is funny, yet still enduring. And most of all, for me, it didn't get really sappy. It's only playing at smaller art houses right now, but if you get a chance, it's easily one of the best movies out this year.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: The Intouchables
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:57:37 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Jeff. Kathlyn and I love movies like these.

Oh, and you did finally go pee, didn't you?

;o)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:15:34 pm

I hope you enjoy it too! Yes, but I should have raced to the men's room right after the credits. It didn't occur to me that a theater full of senior citizens plus a small bathroom would mean more waiting in the restroom. Live and learn I guess.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:29:40 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "It didn't occur to me that a theater full of senior citizens plus a small bathroom would mean more waiting in the restroom"

I saw Inception in a massive theater. Grauman's Chinese if you know it. The big room. A day show, so in my early 50s, I was in the young half of the room. The line afterward was insane, way out the door, and this 80 or 90-year old looking guy shuffled past all of us like a rocket. Seriously, I'm surprised that the static electricity when he touched his zipper didn't kill him.

Even the 30 year olds in line were laughing though. The one behind me yelled in genuine good spirits, "Go for it, man. You need it more than we do. We can wait."

Then he turned to his friends and said in admiration, "Damn, I never thought of that before. When I get older, I'm totally gonna do that. Make these young-ass f^ckers wait."

I can barely type that without laughing, but it's true. I still wait through the credits to see if any COWs are listed there (which happens a lot), but I definitely start planning for it before I go into the theater.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:54:08 pm

HAHA! Great story.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:27:41 pm

I remember seeing the trailer for this a month or so ago in front of something, and I thought it looked great. If it ever gets picked up by AMC as one of their indie selects or whatever it's called, I'm there! Otherwise... DVD...

I wish I had a theater bathroom story appropriate enough to share on this forum. They might stray a little too far into gross-out territory, though. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]