FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marley

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Marley
on May 17, 2012 at 10:16:23 pm

Watched the documentary "Marley" on the life of infamous reggae artist, Bob Marley, streamed to my PS3 recently. I have been really interested in this distribution model for smaller films by releasing them in small art houses and online streaming at the same time. It is nice on the wallet ($8 for the movie 50¢ for popcorn) but I would hate to loose a place to see new movies in a public setting. Marley is OK to stream at home, Avengers is better to see in a packed house.

I really enjoyed the movie. It ran 2 1/2 hours but I was interested in the subject and engaged the whole time. They paced out the movie well too to keep things fresh. I'm glad that they took issues such as his womanizing, drug use, The Wailers and Rastafarian beliefs head on instead of trying to skirt the issue.

Marley had a massive effect on music (how many people did Marley introduce to Reggae music?) and it was great to watch his story from Trenchtown to performance act demanded around the world and from the early days of "I shot the Sheriff" to surviving an attempted assassination attempt and still performing at the Peace Concert the following day. Additionally interesting is that he never bought a Beverly Hills mansion and tried to swing it with the big boys. They best part of his life seemed to be hanging out with friends in the upscale neighborhood in Jamaica that never really accepted him and playing soccer at local parks in England.

For a documentary, Marley makes a fantastic character to follow. And there was certainly enough drama around him and personal struggle within him to carry a movie. And it breathes new life into his classic music leaving me wanting, for the next week or two, to pull out his music on my ipod and listening to again with fresh ears. So if you don't want to drive down to the theater but want to watch a good doc, it's worth looking for a place to stream it from.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Marley
on May 21, 2012 at 6:15:12 pm

I would just like to say that I love the Playstation 3's movie purchasing/renting/streaming capabilities and set up. They make it really easy. That's in addition to the fact that the PS3's Netflix and Amazon Instant Video applications are also incredibly easy to use. Short of only having average sized catalogs, I think the PS3 provides potentially the best way for me to get HD/Blu-ray quality movies on my HDTV as quick as possible.

As for the Marley documentary, I've never really been into his music, save for a small handful of classics. But I would watch this doc if it ever just showed up on TV or something. Just the other day a documentary about the Foo Fighters (who I'm also not really into) came on that Palladia channel, and I was surprised to find how engrossing it was. Maybe I'm just a sucker for music docs. 2 and 1/2 hours on Marley may be a little long for non-fans like myself, but I'd give it a chance if I ever came across it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]