FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Five Year Engagement

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Five Year Engagement
on May 1, 2012 at 4:38:43 pm

<iframe width="500" height="284" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kuDpU1vzekE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Premise: Jason Segel and Emily Blunt have been in a very loving relationship for a year, and Segel asks Blunt to marry him. She says yes and they begin to plan their wedding. (RECORD SCRATCH) Until Blunt gets a dream job in Michigan, and causes Segel to quit his job as a highly regarded San Fransisco chef to move to the midwest. Wedding plans get put on hold. FOR FIVE YEARS. And now you have a title for a movie.

Pros:

-All of the actors are what really make this film. The story itself is pretty standard, and often falls into rom-com clich├ęs. But the enthusiasm of all the actors make this worth watching. Aside from Segel and Blunt, the two most interesting characters in the film were Chris Pratt (Parks & Rec) and Alison Brie (Community). NBC Thursday represent! I believe, to my memory, every line those two had in the entire film were hilarious. There were also great supporting roles from Brian Posehn, Chris Parnell (who's always great as a broken down shell of a man), Mindy Kaling, and Kevin Hart.

-Five years is a lot of time to cover in a romantic comedy, and the film jogs along at a pretty mellow pace. That being said, this pacing didn't bother me, and I was never bored while watching this film.

-Very happy it was rated R. It had a nice level of profanity and raunch to keep me liking it, as opposed to a PG-13 rom-com, which would usually make me want to tear my eyes out.

-In addition to the relationship theme, it also covers career aspirations, and giving up / realizing dreams, which keeps things from going one note. It goes off into some interesting and hilarious tangents with Segel's character development.

-Most of the good jokes aren't ruined in the trailer.

Cons:

-As I said earlier, it has somewhat of a slow pacing. And as I also said earlier, it didn't really bother me. BUT, for a film of just over 2 hours, I found that the resolution got wrapped up waaaaaaaaaay too fast. They threw everything they needed to wrap up the plot very quickly in the last 10 minutes.

-A tad too long.

-Has a lot of predictable plot elements. You know when you meet the professor/boss guy that he'll eventually make a move on the girl. You pretty much know how everything will pan out in the end. You know which things will backfire, and what the result will be. That kind of thing. It's funnier than most rom-coms, but it's still a rom-com.

Final Thoughts: It's a good date movie. It's consistently funny, but in a (mostly) non-offensive way. On the edginess of the humor; it's more profane than it is light-hearted (that's a good thing), but doesn't ever go over the edge. There are enough guy-centric jokes in it that dudes could watch it and be very entertained. And it has enough wedding related stuff to keep women smiling (if they're into that sort of thing, which I've heard they are...). But if this movie doesn't get Chris Pratt or Alison Brie into some lead roles soon, I will be very upset.

7.5 out of 10

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Five Year Engagement
on May 1, 2012 at 6:29:48 pm

Pratt already had a part in "Moneyball". Brie has a second career going in pop music.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 1, 2012 at 7:35:39 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Pratt already had a part in "Moneyball."

I LOVE Chris Pratt in Moneyball. He's one of my favorite parts of the movie....but a long way from a leading role.

Chris Pratt fans should also check out Everwood. I had thought of it as wholesome like Seventh Heaven, which it had been paired with on the network -- but it's pretty wild: drugs, abortion, AIDS, and a whole bunch of other things that weren't exactly family-safe. But truly remarkable to watch Chris Pratt grow up. One of my favorite parts of that show too, but alas, way too far in the background. He really does deserve to be all the way up front in something.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on May 2, 2012 at 2:04:16 am

[Scott Roberts] "-Very happy it was rated R. It had a nice level of profanity and raunch to keep me liking it"

Just in case some Hollywood movie execs are monitoring these forums, let me offer an alternative perspective by saying that profanity and raunch are the reasons I don't like and won't watch many movies. PG all the way!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]