FORUMS: list search recent posts

When fiction becomes reality

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Poisson
When fiction becomes reality
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:56:26 pm

One of my favorite films of the last couple years is Minority Report. As much as i can't stand Tom Cruise, there were some things going on in the movie which are now coming true in our lives.

Case in point, when he was walking through the mall near the end, and he was being scanned for product preferences, and offered a beer etc. I have a client who is installing this kind of customer recognition in retail stores right now. Wow.

But there are numerous examples of things presaged in movies from years ago which are now part of everyday life. And I think that's just amazing.

Offer up examples!

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: When fiction becomes reality
on Apr 20, 2009 at 3:46:19 am

When my wife and I were comparing features on our new phones - I got the Blackberry Curve, she got the LG Voyager - we basically commented that Star Trek technology has arrived. It is actually amusing watching old episodes in which Picard is given a report on a tablet computer, that is bigger than such a device today.

My favorite movie tech is the Blade Runner photo scanner. While digital enhancement of license plate numbers and such has been a staple of tv and movies, that scene where Deckard is looking for evidence in a photograph was quite telling of things to come. Today, of course, if you take a picture with a 10+ megapixel camera(or use a scanned photo at a lot of DPI) you can load it into photoshop and just about zoom down to see specks of dust on a table.

Actually my favorite movie tech is the Grass Valley switcher that controls the cannon on the Death Star, but we are a few years away from that!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: When fiction becomes reality
on May 1, 2009 at 5:03:02 am

I was driving the other day and a man was asking for coins in the street, then he takes his phone from his pocket and start talking.

That's cyberpunk!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]