FORUMS: list search recent posts

In Bruges Get Two Thumbs Up

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
In Bruges Get Two Thumbs Up
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:34:15 am

At some point in recent memory Tim Wilson mentioned a film in one of his posts called In Bruges, which he recommended quite highly. Despite Tim's often offbeat tastes, which are very different from my own at times, I nonetheless committed In Bruges to memory and have looked forward to watching it for some time.

Well, Tim was right. I got to see it this past weekend along with co-host Chris Poisson, who was visiting from Arizona. I liked the film a lot and I highly recommend it too.

In Bruges has certain elements of another great film, Sexy Beast, in which Ben Kingsley uncharacteristically plays a really bad, bad guy with no soul. Ralph Fiennes uncharacteristically plays the really bad, bad guy in In Bruges, and like Kingsley, he does it extremely well.

The two films actually do make excellent companion pieces. If you haven't seen them, and you happen to like British gangsters with souls, you can't beat these two.

BTW, Ian McShain also a plays a really bad, bad guy with no soul in Sexy Beast, and he's also superb.

Happy viewing!!!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: In Bruges Get Two Thumbs Up
on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:33:35 pm

I did indeed praise In Bruges, along with The Visitor, as the 2 best movies I saw in 2008. Here's what I wrote. You'll also find the trailer and bunches of other cool stuff. I've seen In Bruges over a dozen times since I wrote that, and keep finding new and wonderful things in it.

[David Roth Weiss] "Ian McShain also a plays a really bad, bad guy with no soul in Sexy Beast..."

I didn't say enough about Ralph Fiennes in In Bruges. He really is remarkable in it, by far my favorite part of his. He's a truly brutal criminal, with a comically foul mouth (intentionally played for laughs), and capable of flashing into violence in a heartbeat. Yet he is, in his own way, the conscience of the picture. He talks about honor a lot, and holds himself to his own standards in ways that most of us never will. I was genuinely surprised by virtually every aspect of his character and his performance.

Good surprises in movies are all too rare, making this one all the more special.

Rated R for violence, language, drugs, and adult themes...yet funny, heartfelt, tender, and in its own way, redemptive.

It's still playing frequently on cable, but if you get the DVD, be sure to check out the extra features. Hilarious.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:21:37 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I didn't say enough about Ralph Fiennes in In Bruges. He really is remarkable in it, by far my favorite part of his."

I agree. He is so typically restrained that unleashing him this one time was just brilliant and very unexpected.

Ben Kingsley's role in Sexy Beast is very different, certainly without any conscience whatsoever, yet there are some very striking similarities between them.

Meanwhile, Ian McShane's Teddy, in Sexy Beast, is yet another ice cold, yet very complex gangster, with a code all own that makes him perhaps as scary or even scarier than either Fiennes or Kingsley characters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:32:29 am

I loved In Bruges!!! The setting was perfect, and the film used the city extremely well!! Makes me want to visit this "fairytale" place. I saw it a while ago and after seeing it the first time, I watched it another 5 or 6 times back to back. Very well made film. Although not too fond of Colin Farrell's choices in the past, I actually liked his performance in this film a lot. His timing was great, well defined character's throughout the piece!!! LOVED the karate chop!! haha... awesome...

~aaron

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:02:29 am

[Aaron Leong] "Although not too fond of Colin Farrell's choices in the past, I actually liked his performance in this film a lot."

I totally agree. This was Colin Farrell's best role ever in my opinion.

[Aaron Leong] " LOVED the karate chop!! haha... awesome... "

And, what about when he takes the couple out in the restaurant? Also quite awesome...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:21:29 pm

Yes, I and my girl freind watched this with David, and yes, like in Bastards, he laughed at the most violent scenes, most disturbing. Dianne and I had rented this movie a couple months ago, but we had a bad disc, hardley any audio. So it was amazing to watch and hear, I had bad dreams for two days after that. And yes, Fiennes was amazing.

Hey David, thanks again for a nice weekend.

Have as good a day as you can.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:05:41 am

I thought Colin Farrell was the best part of this. Here's an actor who usually plays characters who are self-important, cocky bastards. Here he is playing a depressed hit man, showing a very human side that he usually suppresses.

The outtake reel with all the F-bombs was a nice bonus.

Mike

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:45:28 pm

[Mike Cohen] "The outtake reel with all the F-bombs was a nice bonus."

I forgot about that! It's rare to see a movie that so explicitly plays foul language for laughs -- several of the characters actually cringe at the bad language of another -- and you could really see that when they were all strung together.

The movie is still on cable, but worth Netflix-ing. The commentary is remarkable. The movie was made by a first-time writer, whose script was so fleshed out and so compelling that the studio gambled and let him also make his directing debut. The commentary is filled with a remarkable sense of both wonderment and exhaustion. Not one of the all-time, grand scale commentaries, but still one of my favorites.

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:38:06 pm

[Tim Wilson] "The movie was made by a first-time writer, whose script was so fleshed out and so compelling that the studio gambled and let him also make his directing debut."

He had been a successful playwright prior to In Bruges however...

Clearly this guy knows drama and has command of the most important tools of every great filmmaker, which are a #2 pencil and a pad of paper.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]