FORUMS: list search recent posts

"God Bless America"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
"God Bless America"
on Mar 24, 2012 at 7:46:09 pm

This movie directed by Bobcat Goldthwait is in the mold of "Falling Down" and "Super", in that it looks at wish fulfillment of people's dark urges, the ones we suppress because we live in a society of laws, and we're not psychopaths.

I had to applaud two bits in this trailer; the side-ways car parker, and the obnoxious kids in the theatre.

This is a red-band trailer, there's swearing in it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: "God Bless America"
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:57:58 pm

With the story about Trayvon Martin in the news I would say this movie gets the BAD timing award. Some one acting like Judge, Jury and Executioner is why I think this film will bomb.

The reality shows with inconsiderate stupid people are only on the air because someone watches them. So should this guy "Frank" go around shooting them to?

I just watch the trailer and think the guy that parked in two spaces is possibly a Father with a few flaws. Or rather, was a Father with some kids that will now be punished for one of his flaws. Clearly this is a Comedy and I'm taking this way to serious, but this trailer just seems messed up to me. To me shooting the guy for parking in two spaces seemed like really weak writing. I think it would have been funny if Frank just decided to park in that space anyways, having the owner watch his car get destroyed because he didn't leave Frank enough room.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:27:05 pm

Stephen, not everyone can be as God-fearing as you:-)

I'll tell you why I think this film will resonate with audiences. We have a visceral reaction to seeing wrongs left unrighted, seeing the Social Contract violated. Seeing stupidity triumph over wisdom. Bullies dominate the weak. But we all have strict moral codes precluding us from vigilantism and psychotic behavior. So all we do is *imagine* the things we would like to do, if there were no consequences. If we could Play God and rule on sinners.

This film imagines "what if" those barriers were removed in one person. Thus enabled, what choices would we each make? Would we continue in our God-fearing ways if we removed God? Would we just stay good out of habit? Or become slaves to our id?

What about the girl side-kick: that's MORE disturbing than the guy with the tumor and weeks to live: The guy, you can blame the tumor on the brain of a lifetime of foreberance then he suddenly loses it. The girl, however, presents a different aspect: Too young and privilaged to have seen enough of the world to drive her mad like Frank. To her this is all a sick game. Was she born a psychopath, or made one by bad parenting or what? Is she even real, or a manifestatino of the Devil or of Fank's psychosis? Did any of this happen or is it just an elaborate revenge fantasy in Frank's head?

I remember filling up my car at the gas station one summer, when this d-bag of a guy wearing Zubas and a "wife-beater" shirt rolls up in his unmuffled convertible with the subwoofers set to turbo-sensurround. The *music* is horrible, filthy stuff that would make a marine blush. He leaves it on as he makes to go into the store to buy whatever. I point to the "quiet please, no loud radios" sign on the pumps and ask him (shout, actually, over the top of his noise) if he could turn that off while he's gone, because nobody wants to have his taste imposed on them, and he looks me up and down and curses me out, before continuing on his errand. Exactly like the bad parking guy in the movie trailer.

I'm standing there, with the gas pump nozzle in my hand, not two feet from the interior of his douchemobile. JUST for a second, I pictured running off a few more gallons and maybe leaving it like that or tossing a match in and driving off.

It was a very long second.

Very.

And similarly, a host of things in this world only work because we all agree to believe in them. A strip of yellow paint down the center of a road cannot stop a 2-ton car from crossing it. Only the tissue-thin veneer of a social contract allows such things to function. I once did a powerful set of Highway construction zone spots with that theme to them.

Only our moral code, derived from our upbringing and reinforced by civic institutions like cops and judges, lets it keep working.

As far as the death of that teenager, a case still full of many unknowns, I'm not sure it will depress a single ticket sale; since publicity thrives on controversey, it may in fact cause more people to see the film and stake out a position.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:00:57 pm

[Mark] As far as the death of that teenager, a case still full of many unknowns, I'm not sure it will depress a single ticket sale; since publicity thrives on controversey, it may in fact cause more people to see the film and stake out a position.

We'll find out. A quick google search shows May 11, 2012 as the release date.

[Mark] I remember filling up my car at the gas station one summer, when this d-bag of a guy wearing Zubas and a "wife-beater" shirt rolls up in his unmuffled convertible with the subwoofers set to turbo-sensurround. The *music* is horrible, filthy stuff that would make a marine blush. He leaves it on as he makes to go into the store to buy whatever. I point to the "quiet please, no loud radios" sign on the pumps and ask him (shout, actually, over the top of his noise) if he could turn that off while he's gone, because nobody wants to have his taste imposed on them, and he looks me up and down and curses me out, before continuing on his errand. Exactly like the bad parking guy in the movie trailer.

I'm standing there, with the gas pump nozzle in my hand, not two feet from the interior of his douchemobile. JUST for a second, I pictured running off a few more gallons and maybe leaving it like that or tossing a match in and driving off.

That is what I was trying to get at. Based on what I watched in the trailer, if this was Frank he would just pull out his gun and shoot the guy. Franks solution to all problems, pull out my guy and shoot. I think that seems like really weak story telling. I think it would be better if it was like you wrote, pump some gas in the dirt bags car and light it on fire. Only to see the dirt bag fall to his knees and cry because the most important thing in the world to him just went up in flames. Once again, I think it would have been better if Frank attempted to park his car in one of the two spaces taken up by one guy. Then you get the reaction for the parking dirt bag, "What the, are you crazy...look what you did to my car." Frank, "What a tight squeeze." Dirt bag, "How will I be able to drive to Subway to get a meatball sandwich with out my car, my baby?" I just added product placement and something I would rather see a crazy person do in a movie.

[Mark] Would we continue in our God-fearing ways if we removed God? WOuld we just stay good out of habit? Or become slaves to our id?

This was a question in my College Philosophy class. That was a fun class.

Bottom line, this just doesn't look like a film for me. So I'm going to Subway and I'm getting a fresh, delicious meatball sandwich on freshly baked bread drenched in mangialicious marinara sauce. Cha Ching, more product placement dollars. :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:42:22 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I remember filling up my car at the gas station one summer, when this d-bag of a guy wearing Zubas and a "wife-beater" shirt rolls up in his unmuffled convertible with the subwoofers set to turbo-sensurround."

I think a police officer should be on hand at any place that sells Zubas, and once a Zubas purchase is made, that person is immediately shipped off to a rehabilitation center. I wouldn't mind if my tax dollars went to fund that.

As far as this film is concerned, I don't think ticket sales will rise or fall based on anything in the news, mainly because I don't think it will get a lot of action in theaters. Doesn't come across as a wide release kind of movie. That said, I plan on watching it on DVD eventually, as one of Bobcat's other films, World's Greatest Dad, was disturbingly interesting to me (but fell just short of good overall). This new one seems slightly better.

[Stephen Smith] "Bottom line, this just doesn't look like a film for me. So I'm going to Subway and I'm getting a fresh, delicious meatball sandwich on freshly baked bread drenched in mangialicious marinara sauce. Cha Ching, more product placement dollars. :-)"

Whoa, are you getting product placement money for posting on this forum? Because I mean, I'm trying to keep up with things on my AWESOME new Apple iPad while driving in my always SPACIOUS and COMFORTABLE Hyandai (the best car company of ALL TIME), while I wait in the drive through at Wendy's, AMERICA'S BEST RESTAURANT mind you, hoping to chow down on some Baconators (made of pure DELICIOUSNESS) and wash them down with a large SPRITE, the drink of drinks.

[sits by mail box, waits for Postman to deliver check]

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 26, 2012 at 9:55:03 pm

Wait a second, did you say the guy was wearing zubaz. I wouldn't touch this guys car if it was this guy below:

You would get a round house kick to the head!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:29:09 pm

I watched God Bless America last night (it's currently purchasable on Comcast On-Demand), and I have to say the whole thing was a pretty funny commentary on society. You have to be able to laugh at some pretty dark humor, though, to enjoy it. I'm down with the darkest of the dark humor, so I found it pretty comical.

The way it plays out, it's basically just a list of all the annoying things in America, and gives the audience the fantasy of what it would be like if these people went away... for good...

It not only takes shots at the meandering existence of popular television (American Idol, My Super Sweet 16), but also polarizing public hate-spreaders like Bill O'Reilly and the Westboro Baptist Church, and also just common inconveniencers such as (from the trailer) people who talk in movie theaters or the double car space taker.

Whether or not any of these people deserve to actually die is in question. Obviously I'd rather the movie talkers just leave and the car parker just get towed, and I wish Bill O'Reilly would just go away to the mountains somewhere and never be in front of a camera again. I don't really wish anyone to die, but it's necessary in this film that they do for the overall point. It looks at not only who to put in the targets, but also the misunderstood spin the news puts on the aftermath of most major events.

I didn't take the film at much more than comical face value, admiring that others dislike the same kind of idiocy that I do. The dialogue was almost just a "don't you hate this?" and "don't you hate that?" back and forth, and it's all very entertaining. It was almost like a George Carlin stand up act. Just an excuse to list off as many things as possible to hate about American pop culture. It's kind of preachy, but it's preachy about things I hate, so i didn't mind. It's a good watch if you like super dark comedies about American ignorance. It's a darker Idiocracy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]