Mark Suszko
Women as trailer VO announcers
on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:49:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17264883

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Women as trailer VO announcers
on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:56:27 pm

They claim in one of the interview bites that a male voice "cuts thru the noise better". This is false, actually tested scientifically by the government, and is why the "Bitchin' Betty" warning announcement voice in Air Force and commercial jets is female. Not to mention the default voice in your GPS, or iPhone SIRI.

I think it boils down to habit and slavish imitation of what's gone before, as much as anything. Hollywood is full of unthinking imitators. The whole "in a world" trope has become a charicature of itself.

Look at the voices of GladOS and Cortana in games like Portal and HALO. GladOS is way creepier and menacing with a female voice, Cortana, more sympathetic. I think the page is slowly turning to break thru old stereotypes.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:27:39 pm

Or you can do what I think is most effective, and not use VO at all. Let actual dialogue from the film guide the trailer's story.

I've actually noticed this being used more and more lately. Or more so, using dialogue from the film combined with a few simple text graphics. Like The Dark Knight Rises, or even a potentially horrible film like Wrath of the Titans. It instantly makes it seem less cheesy.

You might have problems if with your movie you can't even convey in your 2 and 1/2 minute trailer the idea behind your movie without a deep voice narrator saying something like - David never really did a good job being a dad... (man works on car, ignores son) but THIS summer, he's going to learn parenting the HARD way... (gets hit by big rock, falls off cliff, turns into ghost) now he's realizing what it's like to REALLY be invisible to his son. (crying son - "dad, is that you?") (inspirational music starts) (ghost helping his son tie his soccer shoes) SOMETIMES all it takes to mean a lot to your kid (son scores soccer goal, ghost gives thumbs up) is to have a little SPIRIT. (ghost hugging son, "I knew you had it in you Tommy, I'm sorry for everything!") From the director of Ice to Meet You and Mega Babies 4, comes the inpirational movie of the year (ghost arguing with god [played by Eugene Levy] in heaven "Let me go back! I'll do a better job this time!") John Stamos is... PHANTOM OF THE YEAR... (ghost John Stamos to son after the soccer game - "You could be a pro soccer player one day, kid, I'm DEAD serious" [four old ladies in the audience slightly chuckle]) IN 3D.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:43:04 pm

Scott,
I can totally see that being a real movie. Ha Ha that was one of the best trailers ever.

I agree, that movie trailers are using VO less. The Inception trailer has no VO and is AWSOME!

This Super 8 Trailer that is Awesome has no VO.

MIB 3 has no VO:

I really noticed this last week when my wife and I watched some of the special features on the Back to the Future Blu-ray discs. The movie trailer was like 80% VO. When it finished my wife said, "wow, trailers have gotten a lot shorter. That was long." I looked at the time and it was only 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I think getting away from the "In a world" VO thing is great.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:18:24 pm

[Stephen Smith] "This Super 8 Trailer that is Awesome has no VO."

Definitely agree, the Super 8 trailer is one of the best trailers of the last couple years, and it flows so well because VO isn't taking people in and out of it.

I'm referring to this one, as opposed to the teaser, however:

<iframe width="500" height="284" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tCRQQCKS7go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]