FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youtube serendipity

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Youtube serendipity
on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:28:23 pm

I was looking on youtube for Elmer Bernstein's music theme to Bill Murray's movie: "Stripes". Found that, and from there, a link to a montage from a Dean Martin "Matt Helm" movie called "The Silencers, also scored by Elmer.

Ho-leeee-c$%#! Looked like every idea ever used in the Austin Powers films was stolen from, er, inspired by, this one, over-the-top spy flick. It is delecectable cheese thruout, please enjoy. Then for an apres'-Helm digestif, I point you to a trailer for "Scorpions and Miniskirts".

This should have been what Woody Allen used as the raw material for "What's Up, Tiger Lilly".

I love the random walkabout of connections you get from sampling one youtube video.

And I gotta buy and see that Matt Helm movie now. A skinny Victor Buono as the Blofeld archtype?!?!? Delicious!

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Youtube serendipity
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:35:54 pm

Cool, I love Dean Martin. I think he was one of the greatest entertainers ever. Is the whole movie on YouTube?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:33:41 pm

Matt Helm, great and campy. Series of 4 movies. The Wrecking Crew, The Silencers, The Ambushers and Murderers Row. There is a plug for a fifth unmade film in the credits of The Wrecking Crew.
Look for Sharon Tate in The Wrecking Crew, and Ann Margret in Murderers Row. Plenty of other recognizable faces in these films. These movies are really b movies, and usually show up on worst movie lists, but are still good junk food viewing.
Then there is James Coburn in Our Man Flint, and In Like Flint. Also spy-spoofs. Less campy, bigger budget films than the Matt Helm series.
All of these would have been must have films in your typical independent stations movie library back in the day.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:54:34 pm

That score reminds me of "The Incredibles"

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Feb 18, 2012 at 4:28:41 pm

[Mark Suszko] " Looked like every idea ever used in the Austin Powers films was stolen from, er, inspired by, this one, over-the-top spy flick."

Definitely...Mike Myers did draw on a lot of references in creating his "International Man of Mystery" character and Matt Helm was supposedly a fashion photographer and the fembots absolutely were from the Matt Helm series (and THE 10TH VICTIM). And in addition to Michael Cain's "Harry Palmer" character there is even the more obscure (to American audiences at least) nod to Peter Wyngarde's "Jason King" character from the ITV series DEPARTMENT S and JASON KING. I'll admit though, that although I enjoyed both MURDERERS' ROW and THE WRECKING CREW when I was younger I probably couldn't sit through them today. I still love the Flint films however...now if I could just live in Derek Flint's totally tricked out bachelor pad! :)

This actually brings up an interesting point about the nature of parody/pastiche, etc. in that like Mike Myers' Austin Powers series sometimes the whole thing drifts away from what was supposedly being parodied in the first place. Just recently I had purchased the NTSC box set of the British comedy anthology series THE COMIC STRIP PRESENTS and in the episode "Space Virgins from Planet Sex" (circa 1993) they not only do a very funny Corman B-movie spoof but have a small Bond parody thread as well with writer-actor Peter Richardson playing "James Blond." What amazed me was that I could still be amused and delighted by something that has essentially been totally beaten to death, which of course is the Bond/spy spoof. Mostly it was because they hit the marks just right in that Richardson is made to have a convincing Sean Connery look, they actually use an Aston Martin DB5, and Robbie Coltrane (as an "M" character) does a brilliantly subtle voice impression of both Bernard Lee and Charles Gray.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]