FORUMS: list search recent posts

Here's a classic

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Here's a classic
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:06:30 pm

Earlier today Ron posted a very cool picture of a doe and her little offspring right outside of the Cow home/offices. R&K are indeed very lucky to have such a nice spot for their home and office.

Meanwhile, I was reminded of one of my all time favorite films, which really does put most of the shorts on YouTube to shame. And so I give you all, for your watching and listening pleasure, perhaps the greatest short ever created, BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
Re: Here's a classic
on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:52:47 pm

Outside of the worst title roll in the world, this is funny, but also the same concept as the caveman FedEx commercial of a couple years ago. Wonder who stole from who?

In the ad biz it's said "all you need is a good memory." Add to that, "it's okay to steal as long as you do it with taste." So freakin' true.

Have as good a day as you can.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:37:08 pm

DRW, thanks for the reminder!!

[Chris Poisson] "Outside of the worst title roll in the world, this is funny, but also the same concept as the caveman FedEx commercial of a couple years ago. Wonder who stole from who?"

Bambi Meets Godzilla is from 1969, dude. The terrible credits are of course a huge part of the gag -- they're over half the running time. They're also pretty much all for the same guy. My favorite one is "Marv Newland produced by Mr. & Mrs. Newland."

I saw this open a midnight movie triple feature, followed by the Beatles TV special, "Magical Mystery Tour" (worse or better than you think, depending on what you were expecting) and Neil Young's "Journey Through The Past" (worse than you think, period.)

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:11:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "DRW, thanks for the reminder!! "

We owe it all to Ron and Kathlyn's deer family, who helped to dredge the memory from my database.

I saw it BMG projected at a college film fest and it has always stuck in my mind as the most succinct (other than the titles which are intentionally not) films ever. On the other extreme, Matthew Broderick runs all over NYC being chased by Godzilla for like two hours, before figuring out how to off the creature. Heck, he's so annoyingly whiney, I would have paid $10 bucks just to see him stomped by a huge lizard foot in just ten seconds.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
....and Cloverfield
on Aug 28, 2009 at 9:26:04 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "On the other extreme, Matthew Broderick runs all over NYC being chased by Godzilla for like two hours"

On a sort of, sort of not, related note, did any of you kids see Cloverfield? I don't know what the title had to do with anything, but I LOVED that movie. From our boy JJ Abrams (Alias, Lost, Star Trek), so you know it's got some interesting twists. He also did Felicity (!!!), and this does indeed have some resonant emotional dynamics among pretty young urbanites. (Hey, it works in Star Trek, too - one of the things that really sets JJ's work apart.)

Anyway, a very interesting variation on the monster movie, in that you don't see the monster much at all, and that it takes one aspect of Blair Witch -- a camcorder eye's view, if you will -- and plays it all the way out. On that narrative level, one of the brashest pictures I've ever seen.

The trailers are a little on the nose, btw -- they make it look like a LOT like Blair Witch...which it doesn't really, and is ultimately nothing at all like it. Just talking about one formal convention. Although watching the trailer again, I'm reminded that there really is some great storytelling in this picture.

The monsters of course came to New York for the same reasons all outer space visitors do -- they are INTELLIGENT life forms.

Although the featurettes are kind of repetitive, the good parts offer the best insight into VFX filmmaking I've ever seen. They pulled off a whole, whole lot with a teensy budget, and no schedule. (The studio basically said, no, we're not interested...unless you can do it for pocket change in 3 weeks.)

Not classic, but great, great fun....

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow Magazine!

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: ....and Cloverfield
on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:31:13 pm

Thx David - been a long time since I've seen that... I hear they might colorize it ;-]

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: ....and Cloverfield...and District 9
on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:26:53 am

Bambi v. Godzilla we saw in high school and college (at sf cons) back in the 70's. That credit to the parents was also my favorite part, at the time it was rather edgy stuff. We saw it as a warm-up to Mike Jittlov's "Wizard of Speed and Time". Whatever happened to him?

Cloverfield was a little long and drawn-out for my taste, and I felt it was a very contemporary reflection of our self-absorbed society that the focus is never on the monster but the people and their individual problems... I did like the ending shots on the camcorder, where just by accident for a second, you see the alien craft that brought the monster first splash down into the water out behind the girlfriend. Which is a neatly circular way to bring the story back to the beginning.

District 9, which I just saw last night, uses the device of the roving tag-along documentary cameraman fairly well, but there are places where you just can't use that gimmick and tell the story, at that point you go into an omniscient unseen cameraman again, but then suddenly it snaps back to the notional documentary footage... and those transitions I thought were a little weak. Overall, a very interesting SF film, though, visually very dense and exciting, if somewhat of a downer, in that it shows mankind at it's worst with little hope for redemption apart from the protagonist. The shaky-cam got me a little woozy by the end, but I was sitting pretty close.

Before you see District 9, go to youtube and see the short that sold Peter Jackson and the production company on making the movie, it is called "Live in Joburg"

From what I understand, what the director Blomkamp did was interview South Africans about immigrants from neighboring countries, just asking about how they got along with the refugees, and then just sat back and let the hate and racism flow. Then a few clever edits and you think these people are all talking about invading 9-foot crab men from space instead of their fellow and same-colored H. Sapiens. That's the depressing part for me. The development arc of the protagonist is what really appealed to me, though the visual effects are stunning. The actor playing Wikus Van De Merwe, Sharlto Copley, starts off very much like Michael Scott from "The Office". But he grows and changes and you feel it with him. I was reminded of the Outer Limits 'Demon With A Glass Hand".

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:43:38 pm

Thanks for the link to D9 1st draft!

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:29:52 pm

I saw District 9 today...Fan-Bloomin'-Tastic.

Finally a gritty realistic film about what is more likely to happen should aliens visit. Could a movie like this be made in or about America? Doubtful at best. The fact that Johannesburg actually had/has such shantytowns and its history of Apartheid makes it ever so much more lifelike.

But my favorite parts of the best sci-fi films are the human moments. The scene where van de Merwe is cutting his cake, even while undergoing his painful ordeal, shows that these are people, not just action figures. Akin to Aunt Beru pouring Blue Milk or Deckard doing dishes or Ripley washing dirt off Newt's face. Show me an ordinary person who uses the toilet and eats sandwiches and takes the time to be human, who happens to be involved in something extraordinary, and I'm sold.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
District 9
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:09:30 am

LIked it.

I caught D-9 opening night and after the first 30 mins or so of the documentary style footage 4 groups of people left... probably to get their money back. I sort of enjoyed that the film did that. Kind of a weeder process built right into the film. haha... That was just before the film starts to pick up. When I first caught site of the aliens, it looked pretty cheese ball... people in holloween costumes... but I have to admit I came to accept the prawns after a bit. Especially since the closer you got the more "real" they looked. The film started "humanizing" them a bit especially with "Christopher" the gang banger prawn & his little prawn son. Prawn gang... that was pretty funny too!!

Sharlto Copely, "Wikus" was progressively brilliant in his role taking "us" through all of his torment and "need" throughout the film. And yes, I agree with Mr Suszko about the film showing mankind at its worst but lets think about this for a moment. Was the film wrong in showing this side of mankind? We are scared and violent towards that which we know little about. And Wikus' situation was pretty hopeless. He was torn, and what do you do in his situation?? In order to get what he needs, he had to go to the one place he shouldn't. The one place that may have been able to help but was completely and utterly selfish in their intentions.

The little kid prawn gave them a beating heart. Liked that part. I was rooting for him... I admit it...

I enjoyed the film. I'm torn between whether or not it was worth a trip to the theatre. For me worth watching for sure, but hey, to each's own right! =)

~aaron

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Better,
on Nov 14, 2009 at 8:30:28 am

One of my favorite parts in a good short film is amount of work. One of my favorite short films (cartoon) accordingly, is "The Eight Minute Midsummer Night`s Dream". I saw an Italtoon where one scene had an entire room of animals as people with no shortcuts used in the drawing work. "Snow White" had a dancing sequence that was that ambitious too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]