FORUMS: list search recent posts

F.F. Coppola on Risk, Learning and Art

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
F.F. Coppola on Risk, Learning and Art
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:17:58 pm

http://the99percent.com/articles/6973/Francis-Ford-Coppola-On-Risk-Money-Cr...

I read this article a few days ago and it has stuck with me. I keep going back to it. Here is one quote from his perspective of film as art, which he answered when he was asked about the gap between distribution and commerce in film. But the whole article is worth a read.

"We have to be very clever about those things. You have to remember that it’s only a few hundred years, if that much, that artists are working with money. Artists never got money. Artists had a patron, either the leader of the state or the duke of Weimar or somewhere, or the church, the pope. Or they had another job. I have another job. I make films. No one tells me what to do. But I make the money in the wine industry. You work another job and get up at five in the morning and write your script.

This idea of Metallica or some rock n’ roll singer being rich, that’s not necessarily going to happen anymore. Because, as we enter into a new age, maybe art will be free. Maybe the students are right. They should be able to download music and movies. I’m going to be shot for saying this. But who said art has to cost money? And therefore, who says artists have to make money?"

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: F.F. Coppola on Risk, Learning and Art
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:19:54 pm

Well, my only response to the quote is that there are plenty of artists who make art on their free time after their jobs for fun (see: YouTube, Reddit, DeviantArt, ect), and there are other people who make art as their main focus and don't make any money on it. I assume most of these people are miserable, even if they don't admit it.

Art is a desired commodity in today's society. If people want it, then people should supply it. And if people want to focus all their time creating an important commodity (and art is important), they should be able to support themselves off of their craft (i.e. they should get paid for it).

Coppola doesn't make wine because he has to, he makes it because he wants to, and it's fun for him. He can freely make that wine because he made awesome movies his whole life that he got paid for and he's now completely financially stable and can do whatever he wants. Like own a fancy vineyard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]