FORUMS: list search recent posts

Charlie Kaufman's first lecture

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Charlie Kaufman's first lecture
on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:39:19 pm

Here is a video from BAFTA of Kaufman (Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkavich)giving a lecture on the art form of writing. This is less about story structure and character arcs and more about writing about the human condition, approaching your work with honesty, fear and respect and being honest about your writing. Good stuff.

http://guru.bafta.org/charlie-kaufman-screenwriters-lecture-video

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Charlie Kaufman's first lecture
on Jun 4, 2012 at 3:13:06 pm

I only wish we could hear from his twin brother, Donald, on his views on screenwriting a la McKee. The one he came up with while Charlie was struggling with "Adaptation" was brilliant. We need more like him and "The 3" (I mean, have you seen it!?), but alas... RIP, Donald. We miss you, we need you.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:50:16 pm

[Joseph Owens] "I only wish we could hear from his twin brother, Donald, on his views on screenwriting a la McKee. The one he came up with while Charlie was struggling with "Adaptation" was brilliant. "

What an amazing movie! Can you believe it was 10 years ago?

I'd love it if Kaufman was around more. (Although I wouldn't wish WORK on anyone.) Synecdoche, New York was the last one, in 2008. Sorely overlooked outside the festival circuit, it's well worth tracking down.

I also don't know if you've heard about his next one, slated for 2013: Frank or Francis, a MUSICAL starring Nicolas Cage, Steve Carrell, Elizabeth Banks, Katherine Keener (yay!), Kevin Kline, Jack Black, and Paul Rubens (yay!).

The title is clearly meant to evoke Ed Wood's Glen or Glenda...I assume....which is always dangerous in Kaufman's world...and I can't imagine how Kaufman's movie would actually be related...but still, the name is the name.

Anyway, one of the great lines in movie history: "Do you realize what would happen if every man in the country who wanted to wear women's clothes or felt like a woman went to their doctors and wanted a sex change?"

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:53:21 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I also don't know if you've heard about his next one,"

I can almost see the SNL Weekend Update "In the Cage" with Johnny Depp, who would scream "Why am I not in this movie!??!?!?"

Anyway... a rhetorical/hypothetical question ("if every man in the country"...) should be answered in turn... but its pretty shaky political territory... Even recently....

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/26/jenna-talackova-miss-universe-canad...

and then requalified, and so on...

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]