FORUMS: list search recent posts

Great Film

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Great Film
on Jan 5, 2012 at 5:29:07 pm

I can't put the word "Help" in the subject line so that is why the subject is not the name of the film.

The Help is a fantastic movie, one of my favorite films of 2011. It takes place during the civil rights movement of the 1960's. The main character Skeeter returns to Mississippi from college determined to be a writer. She lands a columnist job as the person who answers questions about house cleaning type questions. She turns to her best friend's housekeeper Aibileen Clark who has spent her life taking care of prominent southern families. Skeeter then decided to write a book about "The Helps" point of view on taking care of families who don't always treat them very well.

This film has a great balance of dramatic moments and humor. This film is a must see.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Great Film
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:01:05 pm

I rented it last week, it was entertaining, but I wasn't that blown away by it. The story itself is really good, and very compelling, but it wasn't very memorable from a filmmaking perspective. I don't know, you can call this a jaded or pretentious statement; but if I see a period drama like this, I'm not that impressed unless they actually make the film with a little flair, or stylistic enthusiasm. Like Zodiac, or The Aviator. Don't get me wrong, again, I like the story and the message of The Help. But it was basically a straightforward, blandly told interpretation of a really interesting story. Like The King's Speech. Congratulations on your Best Picture Oscar, The Help!

I did really enjoy seeing Bryce Dallas Howard's character get her comeuppance repeatedly throughout the whole thing. Between this and 50/50, is Bryce Dallas Howard trying to win some sort of World's Biggest B**** Award??

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:25:23 pm

[Scott]
Between this and 50/50, is Bryce Dallas Howard trying to win some sort of World's Biggest B**** Award??

I imagine less people will bug her for an autograph while eating at a restaurant if she is the Biggest B****. It is all part of her master plan :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:56:42 pm

Condensed Scott Roberts review of "the Help":

"Not enough explosions."

:-)

Scott, we should be the new Siskel and Ebert. You buy the sodas, I'll buy the candy.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:03:26 pm

you should do it using skype
or maybe we who frequent this forum should do a google hangout to discuss current movies or one movie in particular, and then post the video here

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:06:21 pm

Sounds like the Newest COW podcast is in the works. Plus, that way you could right off your trips to the movies as a business expense.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:19:10 pm

[Stephen Smith] "Plus, that way you could right off your trips to the movies as a business expense."

Stephen - are you getting paid for your posts on here? Me and Mark are not. I believe Scott is doing ok with his "pay me to save yourself the cost of a movie ticket" scheme!

:)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:50:27 pm

I see this new Podcast as being so lucrative that Scott will be in a Ferrari really soon. Plus then the studios will fly him out to see the big premiers.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:58:56 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I see this new Podcast as being so lucrative that Scott will be in a Ferrari really soon. Plus then the studios will fly him out to see the big premiers."

Until they see my ugly face, hear my annoying voice, and witness my poor public speaking skills! These factors might prevent me from upgrading from my Hyundai Sonata...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 5, 2012 at 10:22:37 pm

Skype won't work for Mark until he gets a computer made in this decade.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:03:41 am

Take away all of the black characters from The Help and what story do you have left?

Young ambitious girl goes to the big city and becomes successful. She returns home and finds the town too small, goes to war against narrow-mindedness, petty social etiquette and injustice, digs up and confronts the family skeletons and is finally emotionally reunited with her dying mother.

Oh... all of the story then? Apart from the shit-eating anecdote (which I admit is the most memorable part).

I get the feeling that The Help didn't want to be one of those "black" films that is really all about white people, but it is.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:35:14 pm

[andy lewis] "I get the feeling that The Help didn't want to be one of those "black" films that is really all about white people, but it is."

I concur. A little too much about Emma Stone's character as the central story. Then again the whole thing was kind of fluff, so I wouldn't label it so much as a white or black movie, as it is a movie designed to be inoffensive and generically enjoyable by basically anyone who feels like watching it. Much like The Blind Side, Ray, We Are Marshall, Sea Biscuit, Miracle, Remember the Titans, etc. The list can go on for a while...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]