FORUMS: list search recent posts

What a great new forum

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
What a great new forum
on Apr 15, 2009 at 4:54:05 pm

I am by no means an expert film historian, but I think this will become a favorite place to hang out. When asked about movies I like or dislike I always respond that even bad movies offer an opportunity for learning. And good movies are of course divided into good, great and amazing.

Opinions may vary, but this looks like a great addition to the COW.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: What a great new forum
on Apr 15, 2009 at 11:19:42 pm

Yes, I chuckle that one of the movies that many critics consider one of the greats -- the oft-venerated 60s West Side Story -- is one of the campiest, cheesiest films of all time (even making Kraft's blue box acquire a slight greening with envy). The music is far more important than the film, in my opinion.

I loved it as a kid but both Kathlyn and I watched it recently, wondering why we once liked it. You laughed in all the wrong places and found yourself thinking that what the creators wanted to be a respected grand scale musical, in reality turned into a farcical involuntary comedy.

This one is like a bottle of wine that aged none too well and went to vinegar.

But the songs are still quite a piece of work.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
1 dumb list, 3 good ones
on Apr 18, 2009 at 3:31:20 am

I am suspicious of those "Best Films Ever" lists. Sure, Eisenstein is really important, but do I really want to watch his movies again?

But I would love to know what my fellow COW members would consider their "Desert Island Disks:" What 10-50 DVDs would you take to a desert island (one with electricity, preferably), or perhaps a space capsule to Mars. (My nominee: "The Rules of the Game.")

And another list I'd love to see: what do you think are the most over-rated films of all time? (West Side Story is a good start.)

Finally: the films that may not be "great," but have some redeeming quality which made you sit up and take notice of what an incredibly wonderful sand box we get to play in. I'd cite "13 Rue Madeleine" for the overhead shot of parachutes opening... and not opening.

This art form is still so young, compared to painting, literature, drama, and music -- and yet it draws on all those disciplines.

Looking forward to some interesting posts here -- I like the ones I've seen so far.

bob c

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 20, 2009 at 3:51:45 am

Personally, I think musicals should be banned.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 20, 2009 at 4:54:58 am

Well I don't know?

Is something like Princess Bride, considered a musical?

and I personally like Sound of Music, I think Julie Andrews is great. Loved her in Victor, Victoria.

and

I really like Shirley Temple movies, do they fall in this category?

Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 21, 2009 at 1:13:17 am

[Ramona Howard] "Is something like Princess Bride, considered a musical? "

I don't remember any singing in it.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 21, 2009 at 4:33:31 am

Yeah I guess your right.....duh! For some reason it just sticks with me to be in that category because I think it could very well have the cheesy musical numbers and still be a great flick. my bad.

Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]