FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol / Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol / Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:03:47 pm

I had myself a double feature this weekend. I went to see Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (in IMAX) on Saturday afternoon, and quickly followed that up with a screening of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. It was an action packed Saturday, full of mischief and capers! I figured right now I’d save some time / writing and just review both movies in the same post. I hope I don’t get them confused or anything because I saw them right after each other.

First off, I’d like to say that both of these movies were on par with the level of action films that were released in the summer time. I’ve only previously seen the first Mission Impossible film, and have never seen either of the previous sequels. Sherlock Holmes however had a great recent original from a couple of years ago, so my expectations were actually high for this new film. After seeing the film however, Tom Cruise and company certainly beat all expectations I had for it, as the action scenes were definitely full edge of your seat moments that built up to great results in almost every case. Going through the first half of the film was kind of a chore though, in my opinion, as I wasn’t all that riveted by the plot layout as Holmes was establishing his new villain. Only in the second half does it get really good. At that point the four agents are in full on world saving mode trying to retrieve their nuclear codes. The first half character development was top-notch for the most part, as the two detectives had even better chemistry than they did in the first film. It was a good outing for a Cruise revival, as he hasn’t been in a good film for some time. And we all know about his wacky issues of the past, with the drug arrests and such, luckily Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man have made him an international icon once again. Overall I was pretty riveted throughout the entire film, especially the world’s tallest building infiltrating. I was completely immersed in the film as the cannon fire was ripping through the trees, one of the best action sequences of the year by far. Watching the game of cat and mouse was pretty great, especially with that gypsy using a magnet suit to navigate a computer tunnel. I mean it was just such a well planned execution of a train sequence, Tom Cruise has never looked funnier than when he’s in drag. My only question is why would Moriarty want nuclear codes, I don’t even think he had the means to use them? Lucky for the good guys, Sherlock invented those sticky gloves so he could climb that building in time to do something about it, even while in Shadow Protocol. Jude Law was also really great as Brandt. My head hurts and I’m tired.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol – 8 out of 10

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – 6.5 out of 10

Holmes Impossible: A Sherlock Protocol – 7.5 out of 10

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol / Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:22:34 pm

Holidays getting to you a bit, I see:-) Take slow breaths into the popcorn bag, Scott, you'er going to be all right....

I'm looking forward to watching both of these. Brad Bird showed us in his animated films like The Incredibles that he understands how to shoot action, and I think those films were great practice for him to build the skills he used on MI-4. I've seen the 3 previous MI movies and this one looks to be aiming more towarsd the ensemble cast concept of the original TV show, as well as the trademark of the TV show: surprise twists and intricate plans that fall thru at a critical point, forcing the characters to improvise on the spot, or fail. This is the original M.I. formula.

Cruise doesn't look like he's near 50, does he? They say they are setting this film up to hint to a transition to a new star for the next iteration, but that could be the studio hedging their bets so they could drop Cruise from the next one and replace him with a cheaper, younger actor if this one doesen't bring in the big money expected.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:56:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Cruise doesn't look like he's near 50, does he? They say they are setting this film up to hint to a transition to a new star for the next iteration"

They set up Jeremy Renner as a future agent in this one pretty good. But Cruise seemed totally legit as an action star in 2011. I wasn't even thinking about his age during the movie. Guy must be sipping from the fountain of youth. Can't say the same for someone like Bruce Willis.

But I really liked MI4, maybe enough to go back and watch the other two sequels. But wasn't one of them really bad? Which one am I supposed to avoid? Is it the one with the doves and the motorcycles?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 19, 2011 at 7:16:49 pm

From reading your reviews I think you would only like MI2 if you watched it as if it was a comedy. MI3 I think you would like better, it is the darkest of the first three. I thought it was just okay.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 19, 2011 at 8:52:47 pm

Phillip Seymore Hoffman is very good in it as the bad guy, that and the Vatican caper is all I remember off the top of my head from that movie.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 27, 2011 at 5:17:15 am

Saw Ghost Protocol today. I bet it kicks butt in IMAX but I saw it "flat". The Dubai scenes made me acrophobic.

From the very opening title sequence, you could really see this was a Brad Bird movie. The score and title sequence was very reminiscent of "The Incredibles", because Brad (who directed that film) used the same composer on Mission Impossible. And the sense of timing and camera framing was similar. That is to say, a blend of classic film composition plus bursts of quirky angle changes here and here, and a lot of play with depth of field.

I liked it overall, but I think I would have liked to subtract one action sequence and trade it for another scene of eyeball-to-eyeball bluffing/caper stuff.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 27, 2011 at 5:22:00 am

BTW, talk about niche marketing. EVERY trailer run before Mission Impossible was for a movie with spies and action in it. Five different promos for spy-themed films with explosive action sequences. They literally became a blur to me, though the GI Joe sequel stood out by it's outlandish cheesiness.

I DO see more than one kind of genre' film, Hollywood.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:27:54 pm

Mission Impossible 4 is way better then 2 & 3 by a long shot. I think it is different then the first one so it really stands out. When ever they show height in movies it never seems to feel high to me. The Dubai building scene really got me nerves. The angle on that camera move was great.

I loved how the film was wall to wall action, or rather, lots of tension building from one action scene to the next.

Most important, for me, Mission Impossible has always been about the team. Where the first three movies felt like the Tom Cruise show. I'm glad that they got back to the team where everyone has to do their thing or everyone fails and most likely will die.

This was a great film worth seeing in the theater. I think the Dubai part will be less cool on the small screen.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:43:58 pm

Being very late to the party I finally watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and loved it. I liked it better then the first one...a matter of fact I think it was my favorite movie of 2011. I think it just had great dialogue and tied everything up real well. Plus I'm a big fan of the super slow motion stuff.

--Spoiler---
Any reason the sniper guy got away?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]