FORUMS: list search recent posts

Top Gun 2

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Top Gun 2
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:47:13 pm

I heard a rumor on the radio that Top Gun 2 is in the works? I'm a big fan of Top Gun...but I mean, Goose is dead and a long time has past. This just sounds like a bad idea but who knows.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Top Gun 2
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:54:44 pm

It's definitely in the discussion process:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/tom-cruise-hoping-board-top-gun-s...

I don't like the idea. Top Gun is a really fun movie, but it's fun because it's sort of captured in time in the 1980s. To make another Top Gun and have it be awesome, it would have to be shot the same way and have the same vibe as the first one. Then it would become something of a throwback film, and to be honest, that would be brilliant.

But let's be straight with ourselves here... More likely than not, it will get ridiculously modernized and end up like that crappy movie Stealth that nobody liked.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/goPki_V34xA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:05:40 pm

Top Gun was a coming of age / loss of innocence / love story that happened to have some cool action and made Tom Cruise an even bigger star than Risky Business (anyone remember when Ron Reagan Jr hosted SNL?). Recreating it with Jake Gyllenhall/Justin Bieber/Zac Efron type of people just to capitalize on the love of the original is a potentially stupid idea. That being said, Karate Kid with mini-Will Smith made nearly 200 bills at the box office and probably cost very little to actual make.

If Tom Cruise is involved, perhaps as the instructor and they put it into the context of some plausible real-world scenario like averting war with North Korea and don't overdo the cheese and include one of the main characters dying (please make Shia Labeuf be the one) and get a real director and use actual technology (probably not a problem - the US military loves making these recruiting films) - it MIGHT be ok.

But they'll never re-create the magic of the original because it was...original.

Let's withhold comment on the endless Iron Eagle movies.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:44:43 pm

[Mike]
Let's withhold comment on the endless Iron Eagle movies.

How did you know what I was thinking?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:26:16 pm

The first Iron Eagle was ok, though the chances of a teenager being allowed access to an F-16 regardless of who his dad is was a bit silly.

But we weren't going to comment!

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:59:14 pm

"Gimme, gimme, gimme, FRIED CHICKEN!!!"

Stealth had some potential, but went a little too over-the-top in the plot area.

I've said this before: Top Gun is one of the most *moist* movies I've seen: in nearly every scene, somone is sweaty or wet in some way. Then there's Tarantino's famous on-screen rant about the semiotics and the real meaning of Top Gun. You can google it.

Could you re-make Top Gun today with a new cast? Yes and no. The basic story fits any time period. But the hardware has changed.

All the Tomcat fighters are retired; the navy's main fighter now is a single-seat F-18 Hornet or Super-Hornet, so you wouldn't have that same pilot/RIO team dynamic happening in the cockpits. They make a 2-seat Hornet called the Growler, but it's not for air combat, it's for jamming radars and killing antiaircraft missile batteries ont he ground as part of ground attack bombing misions, so story wise, that's more like Flight Of The Intruder, which was a great book but a weak film.

You could make a modern film about how a top gun pilot is brought in to train drone operator; there you have the fish out of water plot plus the man versus machine/ John Henry plot line, the has-war-become-too-impersonal-and-easy theme. Manned aircraft pilots and drone pilots have a great emnity, based on mutual jealousies. Manned fighter pilots have enormous egos and consider drone pilots to not be "real" pilots. They are insulted that drone operators wear flight suits and get flight pay and etc. Drone pilots have an inferiority complex chip on their shoulder. There's much dramatic potential in there.

Drones are inevitably taking over all aspects of military aviation including fighter combat; not a question of "if", but only of exactly "when". The F-22 Raptor may end up the last manned fighter the US fields, by the time it is retired from service.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]