FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Three Stooges 2012...

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Three Stooges 2012...
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:55:40 pm

The Farrelly Brothers have done it! They've created their masterpiece! The Three Stooges legacy will live on! Well, to be fair, I haven't watched the trailer yet, let me give that a watch before I say anymore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z4IoUo_ZJkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Oh... nevermind... (puts on suit of armor, grabs toaster, jumps in lobster tank in the middle of the Jersey Shore; hoping to die in the most cartoonish way possible)

Though, if it existed, I'd watch the Kate Upton "Nun in Swimsuit" biopic every day of the year. This, coupled with Brookyln Decker coming out of the ocean in that awful Adam Sandler comedy from earlier his year, makes me wonder: why can't scantily clad supermodels emerge out of bodies of water in Paul Thomas Anderson or Martin Scorsese movies instead?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: The Three Stooges 2012...
on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:50:12 pm

I am at once amused and disappointed. I really was expecting a bio-pic about how these guys came to work together and their lives off-screen. The trailer looks above average for a dopey summer comedy, and I guess it's good to introduce the Stooges to a new geenration in a way that's more within their own cultural vernacular... and the resemblances and moves look authentic.

But really, I would have liked a straight bio movie over this. You can sort of tell by the trailer, it's pretty much the Blues Brothers, but without blues music and with stooges instead of Jake and Elwood. I'm sure it will make tons of money. I'm sure I'll wait for the redbox.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:38:52 pm

[Mark Suszko] "and the resemblances and moves look authentic."

I agree, when I heard the cast I was a bit iffy (but I probably would have been no matter who it was). They all look and act terrific!

[Mark Suszko] "But really, I would have liked a straight bio movie over this."

That would be good too. But you can't franchise a biopic! Maybe if the remake doesn't work we will get The King's Speech of the 3 Stooges treatment.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:38:39 pm

Hmm, this has Brady Bunch movie written all over it. Simply a movie where they dress up actors to look like the characters we know, who speak like the characters we know, but who are just doing a long SNL skit, not an original movie nor bringing anything new to the characterizations.

There is really no other way to do such a movie however - aside from making a better choice of not doing it at all.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:26:18 pm

[Mike Cohen] "There is really no other way to do such a movie however - aside from making a better choice of not doing it at all."

I agree with Mike's whole comment. That's how I feel about the project. While the original Three Stooges are somewhat dated, with their black and white imagery and old timey scenery, they are still adaptively timeless to anyone new who watches them. Now they are painters, now they are bank robbers, now they are football players, it's all basic scenarios that anyone can relate to or understand.

If the only accomplishment that this new Stooges movie is achieving is placing the three goons in modern pop culture scenarios (like Jersey Shore), with some actors doing less than perfect impressions, what's the point?? A few years from now when the awful New Jersey fad is over (sorry people from Jersey, I hate your state and I hate the Jets), if a kid were to pick up this movie they would ask "Who the hell is Snooki...?" Whereas is a kid watching a classic Stooge clip, they are throwing a pie in an old, rich guy's face... who doesn't understand that? And it's from 1933!

So, while the impressions were ample, it still just feels like three schmucks doing Stooge impressions. They play Three Stooges marathons on repeat all the time on WGN or whatever, I'd rather just watch that. Plus, the Farrelly brothers haven't been funny or relevant since Me, Myself and Irene. (OK, Shallow Hal wasn't terrible either, but that was still 2001)

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:28:14 pm

On the flip side of the argument, you could say, "Let's do a 3 Stooges Broadway play." In that case you would want the characterizations to be impersonations - yet you would want some of the actor's persona to come through also. When you see Matthew Broderick doing Bright Beach Memoirs it is a different experience than seeing Tobey Maguire do the same role - because that's why you put a well known actor in a well known role - not to see how well the actor does an impression of the character, but to see the character performed by the actor.
If all we needed for movies and plays were people who could do impressions but not actually bring anything new to the role then we could populate our movies with unknown character actors and save a lot of money on big name talent.

So back to Stooges, you have 3 unknown actors doing impressions of Larry, Moe and Curly, with some comedic cameos from more well known actors. his is probably better than casting big name actors because you would watch the movie thinking "Adam Sandler is doing a poor job pretending to be Larry" - as opposed to this effort in which it seems to be The Brady Bunch Movie - little known actors (except for Shelly Long) impersonating the characters and the original actors and being out of their own time (not very original Farrelly bros.).

Not sure I would even pay the $1.20 Redbox fee for this, nor watch it on TBS late night. Basically this should be put into a direct to Walmart discount bin boxed set with the Dennis the Menace, New Leave it to Beaver, Land of the Lost, New Flipper, Less-than-Gentle Ben, Bewitched and countless other failed attempts at remakes released in the past 20 years.

Maybe studio execs should start reading the COW - we'd all benefit.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:13:19 pm

[Mike Cohen] "There is really no other way to do such a movie however - aside from making a better choice of not doing it at all."

I think the greater argument on this topic is on the death of slapstick. Audiences have become a lot smarter and it seems that a lot of the pie in the face gags or the Keystone Cops bumping into each other has faded away and has given rise to TV Shows and Movies (comedies) that focus almost solely on witty banter. Pick any comedy on TV The Office, Parks&Rec, How I Met..., Big Bang, Happy Endings, 2 1/2 Men... almost entirely witty banter...and hey...dialogue is cheap right...

Jerry Lewis kept the boat going for a while, Rowan Atkinson reinvented it with Mr. Bean in the 90's. You can see some in Pixar movies and homages in Arrested Development. That's about it.

I think Stooges will fail because they are trying to put comedy that worked in the '30s in a contemporary setting, and that's it. Comedy, like all things, needs to evolve. To remake the Stooges should go hand-in-hand with reinventing the genre. But then it hurts to not see the Stooges you remember. You need to reinvent THE STOOGES.

...just for the record I still believe Buster Keaton's "The Navigator" is the funniest movie ever made...

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:54:43 am

Iggy Is Not amused...

"Bright-O, Bright-OH, Bright-Oh: it makes old bodies NEW!"
"Why don't you try and BUY some?"
"Woo-WOO-WOO-Woo-WOO, WOO-Woo!"

N'yuck, nyuck!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2011 at 3:37:34 am

There are some cool youtube videos out there of a documentarian's interviews of a very old Larry Fine at the nursing home. Larry tells an awesome story:

The head of Columbia basically tells the trio: "I like you; you've got jobs here as long as I'm in charge. BUT: I haven't got much budget for you. So what we're going to do is, you can have the use of any standing sets from other productions on the lot, when those productions are done, and before they're torn down."

This is one reason why the variety in the episodes; some of it was driven by one of the oldest ideas in improv: you're handed the location, YOU make up the story that fits within it. And you have like a few days to a week to shoot everything before you lose the set. That's very creative, and would fit right in today.

It's because of stuff like this that I'd prefer a bio-pic of the Stooges to trying to fit them into a modern disposable summer comedy. You know, the guys didn't have any equity in the bulk of their film shorts work and got no TV residuals for many years. They ended up trying to reboot themselves for TV with variations on their old act, under better deals, but by this time, they were pretty old and Curly was gone. The vaudeville approaches were not as good a fit in the newer medium, and they tried to get "hip" any way they could, including doing horrible feature-length movies and cartoon versions of themselves and cameos on other TV shows and cartoons. I call this "The dark times".

If you go back and look at the Columbia shorts, though, those remain quite remarkable and much of it still holds up, because physical slapstick comedy is all about the timing. Something the "Jackass" guys do not have and never will.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:21:05 pm

In other words, Chaplin is the way a Stooges movie should be made.

Pies in the face and slapstick will appeal to little kids just like the "fail" variety of videos on U-Toob do. Perhaps all the studio wants is to cash in on the kids dollars - there are not very many live action movies for kids anymore - but overall this one is going to be a stinker.

So, I wonder if anyone who actually works in the film industry and who reads this forum could comment on this:

"Why do so many bad films get made, and once the makers realize that they have made a stinker, do they care? Or do the makers not realize what they have done?"

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:54:29 pm

[Mike]
"Why do so many bad films get made, and once the makers realize that they have made a stinker, do they care? Or do the makers not realize what they have done?"

I think it boils down to the bottom line. If it makes money it is not a stinker no matter how much everyone says it sucks. If it doesn't make a return on an investment then it is a stinker. There are exceptions to this, but you don't make a film like "The Three Stooges 2012" to win awards.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:16:12 pm

It is of course a business first.

But it's complicated. Big movies take the cooperation of SO MANY people, even if you subscribe to the "Auteur" theory, in fact, the film is still a collaborative effort. Sometimes the parts don't all collaborate well, and things that were originally awesome become ruined.

This segment of a Stooges classic bit is a perfect metaphor for the collaborative filmmaking process:

(key bit happens starting at 2:51

"WE ALL Put The Yeast in!!!!!!!"

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 12, 2011 at 9:33:11 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But it's complicated. Big movies take the cooperation of SO MANY people, even if you subscribe to the "Auteur" theory, in fact, the film is still a collaborative effort. Sometimes the parts don't all collaborate well, and things that were originally awesome become ruined."

It's even more complicated than that I think. Even if every one of the 300 people or so on a typical movie do everything exactly right, the finished product can lack something that nobody can define...or they'd probably go back and fix it. Reshoots, re-edits, etc. - that stuff happens all the time.

My experience is that everyone from the highest executive to drivers and janitors know EXACTLY what they have. At a certain point, though, the budget runs out, the theaters are booked, and you have to start trying to make the money back. Even if you're not going to make ALL the money back, something is better than nothing.

The fact is that movies that are flawless in every way may not make any money, and movies that aren't all that good can find their way to audiences who enjoy them -- cult favorites, surprise DVD successes, etc.

Along the way, nobody has any illusions. An Oscar-nominated effects guy said that it slays him that some of his very best work is in movies he'll never go see. Great to work on, but not worth his time as a member of the paying audience.

That's why, as opinionated as I am, I tread very carefully when talking smack about a movie. I call 'em as I see 'em, but there are people in the COW who did really good work on all of them. I'll leave it to THEM to speak ill of such movies....and believe me, they do.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 23, 2012 at 4:54:40 pm

I red boxed the stooges movie this week.

Will Sasso really does capture Curly. But I thought the kid that played young Moe was FANTASTIC.
I got a few laughs out of the first elaborate slapstick setup on the roof, the mechanics of the setup and execution were good, and had they kept this level of detail going the film may have been better.... And casting Larry David as Sister Mary Mengele was amusing, since I grew up in Catholic grade school and actually had a nun who looked like "her" at one point. I think they missed a gag in that they could have explained the boy's haircuts as having been given them by Sister.

But the laughs did not sustain past the first reel. I think the whole project just lost gas when it stole the plot from Fletch. I was sort of expecting a bio pic, and when I didn't get that, I expected a film where the real world reacts to and inter-acts with these Stooges in semi-realistic fashion, didn't get that either. I think the film doesn't know how to take itself. Probably the worst thing to have attempted was to just re-make a standard Stooges short over the length of a movie So they did that.

Save your money, it wasn't even worth the redbox fee. And it's a shame, because the parts are all there, they just were assembled as if by...... oh, now that's TOO meta to consider...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:57:03 pm

FLETCH!

(I'd rather see this movie than the one they actually made, but the first fwe books in the series are awesome. Still, Fletch is FLETCH!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]