FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unconventional Christmas Movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Unconventional Christmas Movies
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:32:42 pm

My wife and I decided to watch some Christmas movies that are a bit off the path of the conventional Christmas movie viewing. So far this year we have watched Edward Scissor Hands and Die Hard.

What are your favorite choices for unconventional Christmas movies to watch?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Unconventional Christmas Movies
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:37:08 pm

Batman Returns! And I used to watch it a lot, but I think I've burned it out - Nightmare Before Christmas. Hey, I just complimented Tim Burton twice! I don't think I've ever done that on this forum...

And if you didn't say Die Hard I definitely would have said that, that's probably the best.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:50:44 pm

Ad Lethal Weapon to the list.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 5, 2011 at 4:00:29 pm

Die Hard apparently is on a LOT of people's lists of Christmas movies they watch every year.

I find it amusing how the cheap cable networks run James Bond marathons on Christmas and other major holidays, where it rally has no connection. "Counter-programming", they call it, I guess.

Sci Fi network used to put Christmas-related episodes of Twilight Zone into an evening, I seem to recall.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 5, 2011 at 4:15:02 pm

I see Harry Potter and Pixar marathons too, never got that either. Maybe long movies on any theme let the stations run on fewer man power so everyone can go to their bad Christmas sweater and hummus parties.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57:17 am

They used to run ET on Thanksgiving replacing Wizard of Oz - for those families still awake after consuming Turkey that is.

I watched the Santa Clause 2 over the weekend - though I forward through some of the silly North Pole scenes - I like the Santa in the real world parts.

It's a Wonderful Life is still my favorite, and don't get me started on my Jimmy Stewart impression - my wife hates it but I find a way to do it anyway.

"You want the moon? I'll throw a lasso around it..."

Happy Christmas and Merry Hanukkah.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 6, 2011 at 3:32:25 pm

I saw a few I should have thought of like "Plains, Trains & Automobiles" and "Gremlins" but a couple showed up in a few lists that I would not have thought of like "Children of Men" and "The Proposition" (love Children of Men, but haven't seen Proposition yet). I suppose "Love Actually" fits on this list, but it is already a staple for me every year.

Other interesting options I found mentioned:

-Jarhead
-Ghostbusters II
-The Thin Man
-The Ref
-GO
-LA Confidential

http://blog.bullz-eye.com/2010/12/19/unconventional-christmas-movies/
http://joelmayward.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-10-unconventional-christmas-mov...

Stephen and Scott - good call on Batman Returns and Lethal Weapon!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:58:16 pm

Die Hard definitely tops on our Christmas list, but Red is now on the list as well. Watched it again yesterday, and absolutely adored it.

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:05:56 pm

I would add BRAZIL to the list; what a brilliant move on Terry Gilliam, Tom Stoppard, and Charles McKeown parts to have their NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR take take place at Christmas time.

Besides, there's nothing to get you into the Christmas spirit like a dystopian vision of an alternate history 1980s in which an oppressive totalitarian state extinguishes the human spirit for all time. :)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:54:57 am

Hey, now, no need to get personal; leave my job OUT of this....

:-)

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 16, 2011 at 11:58:01 pm

We too like to mix it up with the 'other' non-traditional Christmas movies.

The Thin Man
Night of the Comet
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Bell, Book and Candle
Gremlins

I'm sure there are some others I'm forgetting...

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 25, 2011 at 3:43:27 am

Just heard a Christmas song that reminded me of a movie to add to the list. Catch Me If You Can, which is a great movie. Also I think we need to add Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, which I recall Tim watched in the Theater.
Merry Christmas!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]