FORUMS: list search recent posts

Karate Kid Rehearsal Footage

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Karate Kid Rehearsal Footage
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:26:48 pm

Well, this is pretty cool if you're a fan of The Karate Kid (the Macchio/Morita original). There are now YouTube videos recreating the entire film with rehearsal footage. I've only watched a few bits and pieces of it, not the whole thing yet, but I plan to get to it in its entirety sometime this week.

More explanation of what this is, and links to all 13 of the segments located here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-the-karate-kid-comprised-completely-rehearsa...

I'll just embed the first part here, if you wanted a taste without clicking on the link. Wax on!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EZQkwpqFN2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Karate Kid Rehearsal Footage
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:26:05 pm

Say what you will: I find the original film charming and perfectly executed in every way, and, cliche' - ridden as the script may have been, Morita completely owns and inhabits his role, elevating the material. IMO This was a perfectly executed film, formulaic though it may be.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:38:01 pm

I've always wanted to see a film edited with outtakes or perhaps with behind the camera shots - this is the next best thing.

Does this mean that they cut the movie out of rehearsal shots before they did the actual filming? Good idea actually.

I agree with Mark that despite the mid-80's setting the original film is timeless and still very watchable. I found the Will Smith remake to be a nice homage but kind of unnecessary. Are there no original ideas left? Why recreate a movie that was darn near perfect to begin with.

Remember when Gus van Sant did a shot for shot remake of Psycho?

Yeah, nobody remembers that.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:14:50 pm

I really liked the original Karate Kid. I watched it a few years ago and it really holds up nicely.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:37:37 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I really liked the original Karate Kid."

Me too. I never did get around to seeing Karate Kid... was it 4? (With Hilary Swank.)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:15:12 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "was it 4? (With Hilary Swank.)"

I own the quadrilogy (is that the right term? the Alien box set did it.) on DVD. The Next Karate Kid (#4) is probably 5x better than Karate Kid Part 3. But both are worse than Part 2. And all of the sequels, combined, don't equal even just a crane kick of the first one. But they are all kind of guilty pleasure 80s films for me.

I once marathoned all four of them in college with a bunch of my friends. The first one is awesome enough to hold everyone's attention at the start. Then the other ones worked out perfectly after it, because as the quality of the series went down, the intake of alcohol went up! The sequels definitely don't short change you on unintentional laughs.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2011 at 11:55:38 pm

"Sweep the leg, Scottie!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]