FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Bioshock Movie: Finally a Little Restraint

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
No Bioshock Movie: Finally a Little Restraint
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:44:35 pm

I'd struggle to come up with the name of a truly good video game-to-movie adaptation if you asked me to (not counting ones that are so bad they're good). Yet they keep getting made because Hollywood, for the most part, is painfully unoriginal. So a studio sees a financially successful, critically acclaimed video game; and they immediately think they have the instant framework for a great/successful movie. 99% of the time (I'm leaving a 1% margin of error, just in case) video game movies end up being garbage.

So, this is pretty great news that the creator of the game Bioshock has said that there isn't any need for a movie to be made about the game (unless the script is actually legit). I played through Bioshock for the first time just maybe 4 months ago, and while I loved a lot of the cinematic qualities of it, I think it would be a disaster if condensed down to a 2 hour movie. It's mostly about atmosphere, and the story is told mainly through tape recorder narration while you beat people up with a wrench. It would be a complete mess to try and tell the same story in a different way, in a 10th of the time it took the game to tell it.

Wanna experience Bioshock? Then play the game. I'd argue that video game players have as much right to complain about the source material being mangled as people often to about books, but then I'd feel like a dunce. Though, with the complexity and art that has gone into games in recent years, there's more justification to that argument than ever.

So I just felt like pointing out how wonderful it is that Hollywood saw a great game like Bioshock, wanted to butcher it into a film, and now won't get the opportunity to make it just for the sake of making it. Nice job, world.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/bioshock-creator-has-no-need-to-get-movi...


Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: No Bioshock Movie: Finally a Little Restraint
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:43:01 pm

Why pick BioShock when they could do a Duke Nukem movie, am I right?

The HALO franchise kicked out a neat little collection of short movies a while ago, some of which weren't too bad at all. I would watch a movie that was nothing but the cinematics from the HALO franchise... sort of. They borrowed more than a little bit from Larry Niven to create HALO. But there you have a series of books and a deep background that would make a very nice trilogy of movies, with something more to offer than just 90 minutes of "pew,pew,pew!Arrgh!".

Mass Effect might also have enough meat for creating a decent movie, and it plays up a cast with varying interpersonal relationships that's as important as the boom-boom tech is.

Ebert and the Gaming community are at odds because Ebert was skeptical and a little insulting on his opinion of the cinematic qualities of the video game experience. I would say gaming is it's own medium and not to be judged on all the same criteria as films, but GREAT game design does emulate the best storytelling of film-making.

When I used to referee role playing games, my pattern was always to follow a cinematic model of storytelling with a story arc, with regularly-spaced peaks in the plot and action, foreshadowing for the people smart enough to pick up on it... basically we tried to ad lib a movie in real time, and it often worked pretty well. One of he things that made it so enjoyable was roleplaying out scenarios and defying normal movie conventions: "Like HELL we're splitting up, I'm not going to make it any easier for the bad guy to sneak up and kill us one at a time!" or: "Hmm, there's a good chance the deadly alien monster is on the other side of this door... should we open it and look... or just depressurize the damn compartment and bring a mop and bucket later?" because that's for sure what *I* would have done, in that situation.:-)


Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: No Bioshock Movie: Finally a Little Restraint
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:56:09 pm

You'll be thrilled to hear that "Rollercoaster Tycoon" has been optioned for development.


Return to posts index


Mark Suszko
Re: No Bioshock Movie: Finally a Little Restraint
on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:53:52 pm

Samuel L. Jackson stars in Snakes and Ladders on a Plane....


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]