FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Box Price

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Red Box Price
on Oct 28, 2011 at 4:56:07 pm

Just a heads up. Due to the increased debit card fees the rental price of an SD DVD will go up 20 cents starting on Halloween. Blu-ray discs and games will stay the same price. This is the first time they have changed prices in more than eight years.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Red Box Price
on Oct 28, 2011 at 5:41:37 pm

Twenty cents in 8 years is more than okay.

Netflix stock is down 74% since July and still falling. I can't think of anything that would save them either, including a return to the old price....

tw

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:01:23 pm

I agree, 20 cents is no big deal. A matter of fact I was surprised that this didn't happen sooner. I guess it is nice to be able to point a finger at someone else when you raise your price. I feel the Blu-ray is worth 50 more cents or I guess 30 more cents so I don't rent SD DVD's anyways. I also can't see why you would pay $4.00 to rent a movie on demand or online when you can just rent it for a buck 20.

As for Netflix, hopefully they have some big Studio deals for streaming in the works.

When will we get Redbox pricing per movie for streaming a movie online?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 28, 2011 at 9:18:48 pm

99 cents is a magic number. It was for me, but now I might as well start using the local mom and pop video rental place again, since the cost is so close to even now with that increase. I also don't buy that the increase was only due to the debit card fees, I think they saw extra demand from people dropping Netflix and they decided to make a little more off of them. I really am not interested in streaming from Redbox; If I wanted streaming video, there are already a half dozen espablished sources for me to pick from. Now the only thing Redbox has over the local video store for me is the multiple drop sites all over town. I'm more likely now to just use the PPV from My U-verse over redboxing.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 28, 2011 at 9:59:13 pm

[Mark]
99 cents is a magic number. It was for me, but now I might as well start using the local mom and pop video rental place again, since the cost is so close to even now with that increase. .... I'm more likely now to just use the PPV from My U-verse over redboxing.

I've never used PPV so please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a new release around $4 for a PPV video?

[Mark]
I might as well start using the local mom and pop video rental place again.

That is cool that you have one. The only video store I can think of around my parts is Blockbuster. They charge I think it was $3 a day for a blu-ray, twice the price of Redbox. However they do have a great selection of SD kids movies that are only a dollar a day.

For me it seems that for new release movies Redbox has them cheeper then anywhere else I'm aware of.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: d Box Price
on Oct 29, 2011 at 2:44:38 pm

Redbox IS my local video store. My mom and pop store charged $3.50 a night and $3 a night late fees and the attitude was free. Good riddance.
$1.20 is still pretty cheap. Odd that the increase corresponds to Netflix losing a million customers but I think they serve different audiences. Redbox is new releases only. Netflix is pretty bad for new releases.
I've started seeing Redbox in airports. I can rent a movie in Nashville and return it in Southington CT at a CVS. That's worth more than 20 extra cents.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:13:49 pm

Our redbox kiosks here include a small number of films that are 3 and more years old. Some of them were mega-hits, others, indies that vanished immediately upon initial theatrical release.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:32:34 pm

I had a weird moment a while ago when I wanted to rent the 1975 Jack Nicholson movie "The Passenger". I panicked for a second and thought, Red Box won't have it, Netflix streaming won't have it, where do I go?! Then I remembered there are still a few Blockbusters around, phwew, THAT'S what they are for.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:25:40 pm

I've been out of the renting game for a while now, so I don't have THAT much of a worthy opinion on this subject. But I will say that if anyone complains over an increase of 99 cents to $1.19, that's kind of a stretch of an argument.

Now, I'm not that cheap of a person when it comes to pocket change, but I went into the post office last week to ship a package, and upon entering the building a woman was YELLING at the employee over a money dispute. I didn't know what the argument was about at first, but it went on for 3 or 4 more minutes while I waited in line behind her. Through some casual eavesdropping, I concluded the woman had been double charged for a few stamps and was trying to get a refund on stamps she didn't even have, or something like that. When I heard the actual price of what she was trying to get reimbursed for near the end of the conversation, I was blown away. $1.79. Less than two dollars. She drove all the way back to the post office, and got into a yelling match with a stranger over $1.79... I've had fast food restaurants forget an entire $3 sandwich in my to-go bag that I didn't realize until I got home, and I just shrugged and summed it up to "life sucks sometimes." So my long, boring, moderately unrelated story in short: people should not spaz out over a couple dollars. And should especially not spaz over a minor amount of change that I could muster up from random nooks in my car at any given time. Not worth the stress or the effort.

Just be happy that there's anything this cheap available at so many locations. Blockbuster used to charge $5 for a new release movie. Think about it that way.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:23:13 pm

[Scott]
I've had fast food restaurants forget an entire $3 sandwich in my to-go bag that I didn't realize until I got home

Remember the Don't use the Drive Thur bit here:-) NSFW

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:45:23 am

Netflix will eventually stabilize over the next few months. Their business move was obvious: splitting off the DVD side to eventually kill it off and protect the profit margins of the mother company.

Rental will still be a viable business for the next few years as there is no consumer trend that Blu-Ray and DVD is going out the window quite yet.

With that said, it seems like the only real competition for Netflix seems to be Amazon Prime's streaming service and, to a slightly smaller extent, Redbox's rental service.

I use Netflix, their one dvd and streaming service, and even I can't complain about the price hike. I've replaced cable tv with their service, watch it on most of my devices and if that means once a month I eat a pb&j instead of mcdonalds to pay for the price difference, so be it. Other than the price hike, as a customer I appreciate their ever growing streaming offerings and rely on the DVDs for those films which aren't readily available.

Angelo Lorenzo
http://filmsfor.us - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]