FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interchangeable Steven Seagal Gallery

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Interchangeable Steven Seagal Gallery
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:01:06 pm

Haha, this is a pretty good examination of how almost all Steven Seagal movies are fundamentally the same. A must read for fans and/or haters of the gun-toting, ponytailed action star:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/10/the-incredible-interchangeable-films-of...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Interchangeable Steven Seagal Gallery
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:19:46 pm

It's a rarely-broken rule that Seagall's movies have three-word titles. Makes the sentence very easy to diagram, I guess.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:47:20 pm

Wait a seconds, I thought he was a martial arts guy. Why does he have a gun in every poster with one exception. I think he should do a film where he is a Mall Cop.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:23:05 pm

He's a real cop now...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:03:18 pm

Horrible Steven Seagal action movies were a staple of many enjoyable movie nights with my dad and grandpa. Yeah they were poorly made but so were most action movies in the 80's.
Only problem is nobody told Seagal that the 90's and 2000's demanded higher quality action and less cheese. Although the Expendables and Rambo 11 definitely were a throwback to 80's quality.

Looking at those posters I am struck by a few things:

1. Steven Seagal is actually quite odd looking - not really a leading man nor does he look like he grew up on the streets. He just looks like a genetic experiment gone wrong.

2. You would never send a guy who happens to be good with his fists and hand guns to retrieve a stolen F-117 Stealth Fighter. You send perhaps some SEALS trained as pilots. But whatever.

3. Yep they are all interchangeable roles.

4. I'm going to beat Tim W to the punch here. Seagal movies have worldwide grosses of $774 million. Now that's pretty good, although Bruce Willis is at $3.2 billion.

Here's an interesting list of stars and their box office records. Something tells me Warwick Davis didn't see much of that 3.5 billion
http://www.the-numbers.com/people/records/

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:13:45 pm

[Mike Cohen] "4. I'm going to beat Tim W to the punch here. Seagal movies have worldwide grosses of $774 million. Now that's pretty good, although Bruce Willis is at $3.2 billion."

I appreciate the hard numbers, Mike, thanks for saving me the trip.

There was a time (through Executive Decision in 1996, with Kurt Russell - the biggest movie that either of them did) that I'd have put him at the top of the second tier behind the Bruce/Arnold/Sly-level guys...albeit with a pretty big gap between the tiers.

It might be an interesting discussion whether his first handful of movies have held up better than Jean-Claude Van Damme's. I actually watched everything by both of these guys up through the middle 90s, and really enjoyed them. You could actually line them up side by side -- first big movie in 88, peak in 96...although for JCVD, his PEAK peak was Time Cop in 94, but still...

You kinda have to give the nod to the guy who plays kickboxing twins, don't you?

Anyway, to the observation that most of SS's movies have 3 words in the title, his two best have only 2: ED and Under Seige.

Another fun game: throwing a bunch of JCVD and SS titles on the table and naming which belongs to which actor. For example, I can't believe that they didn't BOTH do a movie called Hard to Kill...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:23:21 am

Under Siege IS three SYLLABLES, however... :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]