FORUMS: list search recent posts

4 yr. old's reaction to the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
4 yr. old's reaction to the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:51:38 pm

Since we're talking about "appreciation," let's talk about appreciation.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 4 yr. old's reaction to the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back
on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:08:42 pm

Thats great! It reminds me of the Simpson. Where Homer says that Darth Vader is Luke's father in front of a bunch of people in line waiting to get into the movie.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:18:04 pm

I saw the midnight show of Empire the day it came out, and all these people were saying "Darth Vader is Luke's father - pass it on!"

My first reaction is, "You're an idiot. We're at the first showing. How could you know that?" My second reaction was, "Huh, that would be kind of cool."

And it WAS kinda cool. :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:09:52 pm

I hope he videotapes the look of disappointment in his kid's eyes when they get around to the prequel-trilogy.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2011 at 4:51:18 pm

There's been some debate on the internet about the chance this shot was staged. Watch the sister's reactions.

And people that run down the ticket line shouting spoilers to the waiting audience should be hit in the jimmies with a shovel.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:21:28 pm

[Mark Suszko] " Watch the sister's reactions."

My sister wouldn't have cared. Still doesn't. My WIFE on the other hand cared more than I did, although I've since come around.

This is a whole other thing, but I'm going to scream if I keep hearing people whine about spoilers. Nobody used to talk about this, because NOBODY CARED. Most people STILL DON'T CARE.

In fact, for me, the quote unquote big reveal has precisely zero to do with the plot. It affects nothing. Good guy has to kill bad guy, Now! With Extra Boo Hoo Hoo Included! Now, finding out that Luke and Leia are siblings, THAT has consequences.

Here's a short list of movies where people not only knew how they ended, but knew every major twist:

Titanic (the parts you didn't know weren't worth knowing, and you could see them coming...still an UNDERrated movie, but still)
Passion of the Christ
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Imitation of Life
Suddenly Last Summer
Sense & Sensibility (Oscar for Screenplay)
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Twilight
Kiss of the Spiderwoman
King's English
Social Network
Black Swan (c'mon, tell me you didn't see it coming 10 minutes in, and that knowing would have affected your feelings -- except maybe to avoid it in the first place)
Avatar, especially if you saw Pocohantas

I could go on, but the list includes nearly all of the most popular movies ever made.

The two biggest exceptions are, to me, not all that exceptional. I liked Sixth Sense BETTER after I knew the reveal, and The Crying Game, I was thinking the whole time how cool it was that these two big strong fellas were in love with a -- the thing that was supposed to be a big surprise. It just wasn't, and again, the movie is better once YOU know, because one of the characters -- and inexplicably, ONLY one -- doesn't know, and it's ironic that he's the one guy in the movie who isn't paying attention. I can't believe that anyone was watching THEIR surprise, because HIS was only barely credible.

(BTW, I love that movie. I think it's a genuine modern masterpiece.)

Stories are stories, and are pleasurable for the telling.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:34:32 pm

[Tim]
In fact, for me, the quote unquote big reveal has precisely zero to do with the plot. It affects nothing. Good guy has to kill bad guy, Now!

It's not "What will happen" but "How will it happen." How is what makes it a great story. Sure we know that John McClain isn't going to die in Die Hard and he will defeat the bad guys...but how is he going to out smart the bad guys, gun taped to your back...cleaver stuff. I think knowing that ahead of time would have ruined the intensity of the ending.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:17:05 pm

I agree, it's not so much what will happen, but more as to how it's goes down. But still, I've heard the argument that spoilers don't actually effect the level of enjoyment for movies, and I don't like that argument very much. I mean, if I really am into a movie (like REALLY into it), I don't even think about what's going to happen at the end, I don't even try and solve the puzzle pieces while they are still getting laid out. I just go with the flow. I experience the movie as it's happening.

When twists come, and people die, and revelations are revealed, I'd rather experience them when they happen. As opposed to having the looming thought in the back of your brain saying "Well, that's his father..." After the movie is over, I can analyze and determine how stupid or cool all the plot points were. But, I mean, why would you want to know anything, if you had the option?

I love rewatching movies, do it all the time, but that's a completely different experience to me than the first time I see something. The first time you see a movie is the ONLY time you will have the option to be blindly led through the story. And I think that's a gift not worth wasting by knowing anything about it. That's why a lot of trailers are so enjoyable to avoid. And why I never stay after the credits to catch a glimpse of "NEXT WEEK ON BOARDWALK EMPIRE"

Like in Lord of the Rings, you can assume Frodo will live, it's a good assumption to make. But if you're unfamiliar with the story, why not be able to have the debate in your brain "Hey, is the hero going to die, poetically maybe? I could see that happening". But if someone said to you "Frodo lives in the end, he trashes the ring, it's pretty cool." That option to even question the story is taken away from you.

Maybe I'm just weird and don't like spending the whole movie logically dissecting it. But I mean I could also see the fun in that, and understand why people would want to. Just not me. I'd rather be gullible and let the storytellers tell the story, and then tear into how stupid it was with my girlfriend on the car ride home.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 11, 2011 at 8:02:33 pm

Thinking back to my 8 year old self.....

....weird time travel sound effect.....

....Wow, Darth Vader is Luke's father? No way. Well, ok, that's nice. Can I get my snowspeeder toy now? How about my Yoda action figure? (my dad had to cross enemy lines and buy Yoda at Service Merchandise, a direct competitor to Ardan where he worked - but anything for Star Wars). As an 8 year old, you really don't care - there were no debates on the playground about this. In fact by the time the new school year rolled around no one was talking about Empire in my school - me and my pals lived and breathed Star Wars of course.

Then in 1982 when they released the first trailer for Jedi, it included "Master Yoda, is Darth Vader my father?" - we all knew but we weren't sure.

After Jedi my parents informed me that I was too old for more SW toys, so my collection does not have such faves as Bib Fortuna, Admiral Ackbar or Nien Numb. Oddly a few years later they released a Robin Hood Prince of Thieves playset which was a slightly repainted Ewok Playset, which may have actually been a repainted Weebles playset that I did have as a youngster. So I actually had Jedi toys before filming began on Star Wars (for those under the age of 30, "Star Wars" refers to Episode IV which only became Episode IV later on).

..........time travel sound effect.......

....Whew, what happened? I have to say, Twinkies are not as yummy as I remember.

Perhaps a better reaction shot would be "Leia is my sister?!" which of course was done very well on Robot Chicken, but I'd like to see a 4 year old process that!

Mike Cohen

PS - I vote for a temporary name change of this forum to Star Wars Pancakes as a catch all for all things Star Wars, with the occasional thread about a Spielberg, Soderberg or Scorsese film or tv show.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:11:43 am

[Tim Wilson] "(BTW, I love that movie. I think it's a genuine modern masterpiece.)"

Tim I agree. I saw it again on Friday night after about a decade and I am constantly surprised how much it moves me.

[Tim Wilson] "one of the characters -- and inexplicably, ONLY one -- doesn't know, and it's ironic that he's the one guy in the movie who isn't paying attention. I can't believe that anyone was watching THEIR surprise, because HIS was only barely credible."

Sorry, I might be a bit thick, but could you possibly explain this to me. I'm not sure I completely follow.

Ta.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]