FORUMS: list search recent posts

G.I. Joke

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Poisson
G.I. Joke
on Aug 6, 2009 at 2:02:16 pm

Yikes, I just watched the trailer, and on Apple's site yet, so I think the quality was excellent, but the effects were just so cheese-dog-deluxe, it was hard to stick with it.

Maybe I should see it on the big screen, but I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for the seat.

I know the theory with comics-to-film is it has to be campy, but puhhleeze!

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: G.I. Joke
on Aug 6, 2009 at 3:12:59 pm

Chris - I think you have started an interesting discussion. Movies that have good intentions but fall short on effects. Perhaps the intentions of GI Joe are not so much to make a work of art as they are to sell movie tickets. After all GI Joe toys were just as popular in the 80's as Transformers.

Those Delta suits shown in the trailer look kind of cool, as the military is supposedly working on such things, but the action does seem hokey.

Then again, it is a movie based upon toys, and what kid has never thrown an action figure out his bedroom window just to see what happens.

Low budget sci-fi channel (excuse me, Syfy) movies are to be forgiven, as they could not possibly afford non-cheesy effects, but big budget popcorn movies have no excuse. As I have discussed before, effects artists are usually pretty capable and stand behind their work. I think it comes down to the director and/or producers somehow either cutting corners or coming up with silly ideas - or both. That is clearly the issue with GI Joe. Parts of Transformers 2 (the ice cream truck), Star Trek (the lens flares, the screenplay (ouch)), and Terminator Salvation (the harvester robot), and parts of Phantom Menace (I know, kids love Jar Jar) have the same problems.

Is there a perfect effects-drive movie?

Jurassic Park was pretty perfect as it did not use effects as a crutch, just to enhance the story, and they were amazing when they were used. I have some strong opinions about Spielberg's non-WWII and non-ET movies, but I thought he nailed it with JP. The Stephen Sommers of the world should study that film

Sommers directed the Mummy movies, which seemed to take what Lord of the Rings did well and do it very badly. That's another problem with big effects movies - one success breeds 10 bad ones. Same can be said for superhero movies - for every Dark Knight there will be 10 Elektra's and Hulks.

But getting back to the thread - bad effects. Look at Peter Jackson's King Kong. He had good intentions, past success and gobs of money. And the effects were actually pretty good, just silly. If he was going for silly, then good job. But Peter Jackson and "silly" are usually not in the same sentence.

Ok, I think I've insulted most of Hollywood, so I'd better stop.

Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:19:42 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Is there a perfect effects-driven movie?
"

In his 1968 film 2001, Stanley Kubrick managed to create a pretty darned good effects driven film that still holds up quite nicely. I'd say the effects are pretty close to perfect. Thank you Douglas Trumbull...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 6, 2009 at 8:00:06 pm

I liked what they did for Iron Man. The casting of Tony Stark was genius. The effects were just right. One of the problems in these kinds of films is deciding if you are playing it tongue in cheek for laughs or are trying to be serious. Hard to be both.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:36:49 pm

Totally agree, Iron Man was amazing.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 12, 2009 at 7:49:06 pm

[Chris Poisson] "Totally agree, Iron Man was amazing. "

I hate to be a spoiled sport, but I only liked parts of Iron Man. I thought the casting of Robert Downey Jr. worked better on paper and in the trailer than anything, and Gwenyth Paltrow was just terrible, and I really do like them both, so it wasn't that I hate them or anything. And, I thought the script was just a tired retread of Spiderman, Superman, Batman, etc. all rolled-up into one, but with a few laughs thrown in when he's learning how to use his new suit. I did like the effects created to get him into the suit however... That was great.

For the record, the only movie from a comic movie I've really ever liked was Sin City.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:27:18 pm

Well jeeze, how could anyone like ALL of any of these stupid films, although I would agree that Sin City was probably the best effort.

BTW, it's not "spoiled sport" it's "spoil sport."

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:31:42 pm

Sorry, I screwed up, Spoilsport is one word.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 11, 2009 at 7:23:40 am

I suspected the reviews would be horrible for G.I Joe after hearing that Paramount would not be having any press screenings in advance of the film's opening. I was right, here's what the critics had to say as posted on Yahoo:

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 11, 2009 at 9:20:05 pm

Check the Rotten Tomatoes site after a movie has over 100 reviews posted. Until then the numbers are not reliable, but the more posts go in, the better the overall accuracy becomes.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:00:42 pm

G.I. Joe most likely sucks, I haven't seen it and won't pay to. But it cost $170,000,000 to make and has already made almost $200,000,000. I would say that the makers of G.I Joke are laughing all the way to the bank.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:19:01 am

I admit I paid to see it. My wife, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law went to watch it...

Lets face it. They didn't cast this thing based on acting. That said its not going to win any Oscar's but it was entertaining. Cobra Commander or whoever he was supposed to be could probably have been cast better along with about 95% of the cast. Snake Eyes' and Storm Shadow's teacher was cool. But it seems as though it was cast to attract a younger audience. It was almost as if the studio tried to split the difference between an older audience and little kids.

What was interesting to me was what parts of the G.I. Joke... Sorry, Joe franchise they decided to keep and what parts they decided to go their own independent route with. They could've done away with Snake Eyes' lips IMO, but I liked that they kept a back story between him and Storm Shadow... mmm thats about it. Sienna Miller kicked ass. Love story though?? Really??

Mr. Weiss - Sin City was good!! No fan of Watchmen?? I know, I know sex scene was too long, but they stuck pretty close to the comic aside from the ending. I actually liked the ending in the movie better!

I digress, G.I. Joe was entertaining if you can get past the acting. Haha... that sucks...

Don't waste your money in the theatre... or DVD for that matter... Wait for a TV showing, but then you lose all of the grandeur of the cheezy FX... They won't be AS cheezy in the theatre I suppose...

~aaron

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:00:20 pm

Aaron,
Did they end the movie with a Public Service Announcement? If I was the producer of the movie I would make sure they had one of these at the end of the credits.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Aaron Leong
on Sep 19, 2009 at 2:22:17 am

HAHA . . . I very typically stay through the end of the movie just to see names and who did what . . . to be honest, I didn't stay for this one and if there was a PSA at the end . . . I missed it =T . . . that would've been the cherry on top!!!! . . .

I loved G.I. Joe as a kid . . . I own the cartoons on DVD . . . not sure if I would own this one . . . unless of course, it had a PSA! . . . haha . . .

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:45:24 pm

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 24, 2012 at 3:37:55 pm

Rather than legitimizing this franchise with a new thread, let's just continue the G.I. Joke thread to discuss Part II - The Search for More Money.

It was announced this week that the sequel will now be delayed to 2013 so it can be made 3D.

So now we have a sequel to a movie that was not very well liked being put into a format that will likely make a bad sequel even worse.

At least we don't have to hear about this again for 12 months, nor see The Rock in 3D for the same time period, so the world is safe again...for now.

MC

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 24, 2012 at 5:19:48 pm

Is this a joke? Is this for reals? They have already sunk a lot of money into marketing this movie and announcing it will be out in a month. I guess this means it is beyond bad other wise I can't see why they would do that...why didn't they shoot it 3D to begin with?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]