FORUMS: list search recent posts

They are going to re-make "Point Break".

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
They are going to re-make "Point Break".
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:23:06 pm

WHY.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: They are going to re-make "Point Break".
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:28:19 pm

They already did, it was called The Fast and the Furious.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6222301/deja-view-point-break-vs-the-fast...

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="338"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6222301&use_node_id=true&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=6222301&use_node_id=true&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="338"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:29:05 pm

I hope they call it, "The adventures of Johnny Utah".

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:26:42 am

I actually get this. The original SHOULD have been good, but mostly wasn't. (I'm a big Kathryn Bigelow fan, and hate to say that...but watch it again. I'm right.) I like the guys who are doing the new script, too.

Figure it'll take 2 years to get made and released - that's late 2013, so maybe summer of 2014? That's 23 years - can you believe that?!? The original was in 1991. I'm not sure which is harder to believe - that it was this long ago, or that 1991 is already 20 years in the past.

But 23 years of less is far a more common window for remakes than you might think. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but some of my favorites:

• Imitation of Life 34 and 59
  • Little Women 33 and 49 (June Allyson for Kathryn Hepburn - works better than it should...but it does)
  • Algiers and Casbah 38 and 48
  • My Man Godfrey 36 and 57 (Niven for Powell? Are you insane?)
  • Defiant Ones 58 and 68
  • Star is Born 37 and 54 (Judy Garland in for Janet Gaynor - good move)
  • LA Takedown/Heat 89 and 95 (both by Michael Mann)
  • The Getaway 72 and 94 (Steve McQueen for Alec Baldwin!??!)
  • Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde 31 and 41
  • House of Wax/Mystery of the Wax Museum 33 and 53
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much 34 and 56 (both Hitchcock)
  • Night of the Living Dead 68 and 90 (22 yrs)
  • The Mayor of Hell/ Crime School 33 and 38
  • I Died A Thousand Times (1955), a SCENE BY SCENE remake of High Sierra (1941)
  • Love Affair/Affair to Remember 39 and 57
  • The Hitcher 86 and 3007 (Sean Bean for Rutger Hauer?!?)
  • Dawn Patrol 30 and 38
  • Death at a Funeral 07 and 10 (EXTREMELY HIGHLY recommend the 2007 version)
  • Meet Me in ST. Louis 44, 49 AND 66 -- that's 3 times in 22 years
  • Miracle on 34th St. 47 55 73 (the one with Sebastian Cabot) and 94 (with Richard Attenborough). I'm leaving out the 1963 Broadway musical. Oops, I guess I DIDN't leave it out
  • Piranha 78 and 95
  • Shaggy Dog 94 and 06 (original in 59 of course)
  • Stagecoach 66 and 86 (original in 39)

Those are just off the top of my head....okay, I looked up some dates...and of course doesn't include English remakes of foreign-language originals. There's only one non-musical to musical on there (Star is Born), and only one black and white to color (The Man Who Knew Too Much), because each in the pair is so notable. Didn't bother with something like Pygmalion to My Fair Lady ...although Pygmalion was made in 1910, 1935, 1937, 48, 68, 76, 80, 81 and 99.

Speaking of My Fair Lady, there's talk of a remake underway with Carey Mulligan and Hugh Grant, on a screenplay by Emma Thomson. Hugh is obviously a departure from the grandfatherly Rex Harrison, and I like it. We'll see about Miss Mulligan, but she has some big (if tiny) shoes to fill. Emma is aces in my book, so we have a winner there at the very least.

Anywayyyyy, seriously, watch Point Break again. Unrealized potential makes it RIPE for a remake.

Now then -- Road House? Can't improve on perfection....although, at 22 years, might be time to try....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]