FORUMS: list search recent posts

Obscure movies that are pretty good

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Obscure movies that are pretty good
on Aug 5, 2009 at 3:50:52 am

The Assignment - A US operative is trained to impersonate Carlos the Jackal who he looks just like. Aidan Quinn, Ben Kingsley, Donald Sutherland.

Incognito - A painter creates forgeries of Rembrandts. John Badham directs

Oddly both of these movies came out the same year, but are, in my opinion, good movies that were under the radar.

Let's hear yours.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Obscure movies that are pretty good
on Aug 5, 2009 at 2:45:28 pm

The Illusionist and The Prestige make a great double-feature. I think their coming out so close to each other hurt their box office due to confusing the audience as to which was which.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 5, 2009 at 3:48:29 pm

I have been searching the aisles at the video store for "hidden gems," those little movies which never made it, but are nonetheless great. Among them of late are "The Great New Wonderful," "10 Items or Less," and "Sherry Baby," two of which featured Maggie Gyllenhaal, but all are great little movies.

"10 Items or Less" with Morgan Freeman is an especially good rental.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:12:32 pm

I really enjoyed Sean Astin in "Harrison Bergeron".

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Aug 5, 2009 at 9:16:38 pm

Not to overly self promote, but if you do this - go for a trip-feature and watch WOMEN IN BOXES... ok - yes to self promote....

Is there a time frame on this subject? I just saw this again for the 1st time in 20+ years.. love it and yet sooo few peopel (even older than my age) seem to remember it:
The Anderson Tapes (1971)

From 2008 I loved Gomorrah - italian slum / crime flick.

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Castel De Oro
on Aug 8, 2009 at 1:33:50 am

I enjoyed "Primer", a convincing time-travel film made on a tiny budget.

Return to posts index

Doug Collins
on Aug 10, 2009 at 7:30:09 pm

Both Memento and Time Code. I enjoyed them as much for the concepts as the story lines.

Doug

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 11, 2009 at 4:03:48 am

Timecode is an interesting effort by Mike Figgis, inventor of the Fig Rig (anyone ever use one?). Amazingly well executed. The commentary is even more interesting, as they talk about the coordination that went into shooting with four DVCAM cameras in real time, hiding microphones in plants and all sorts of creative approaches to getting material without stopping.

Along the same lines is Russian Ark. Filmed with thousands of extras in period costumes also in real time it is an amazingly complex visual achievement, albeit hard to follow.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:03:05 pm

I have a "fake rig", a home made version of a FigRig made from a discarded bike rim. Works great, cost $5. Manfrotto killed this thing by charging too much for it and the accessories.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:35:16 am

Not only is Russian Ark shoot in real time but is a one-take steadicam shot.

A movie that is out now, if you haven't seen it, check out Moon. If only every theater could squeeze in one show a night for movies like that, say give up one of the 20 time slots of GI Joe.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 20, 2009 at 4:49:10 pm

I'm a fan of the "Greatest Game Every Played". I'm not a golfer and find golfing movies boring. However, this one really caught my attention. It is a Disney movie so you can watch it with your family. Unfortunately it did really bad in the box office. Check it out if you get a chance.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Aug 20, 2009 at 9:31:45 pm

Saw El Topo as a teenager as a 48 HR film fest (old school - they show 48 hours of movies in a row - not current where you make a movie in 48 hours)... I still dont know what it was about - but I have not forgotten it. In fact all is movie are amazing visually... Especially Holy Mt. and Sante Sangre. Looks like he's got another film coming in 2010!

from wikipedia: El Topo (The Mole) is a 1970 allegorical, cult western movie and underground film, directed by and starring Alejandro Jodorowsky. Characterized by its bizarre characters and occurrences, use of maimed and dwarf performers, and heavy doses of Christian symbolism and Eastern philosophy, the film is about the eponymous character - a violent, black-clad gunfighter - and his quest for enlightenment. For many years the film could only be seen at midnight screenings, in arthouses and via partially censored Japanese laserdiscs and bootlegged videos until its official DVD release on May 1, 2007

Thanks,
Harry

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 20, 2009 at 10:51:48 pm

Harry,

Bob Taicher, a director I worked with a couple of years ago on, Rush To War, a feature length doco about the war in Iraq, worked with Alejandro Jodorowsky and produced his film The Holy Mountain. I have seen both El Tope and The Holly Mountain and I have to agree with you, I had absolutely no idea what the heck I was watching.

BTW, Jodorowsky was in our doco and even delivers the closing line. I'll find it and will post the clip here for your viewing pleasure.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Alejandro Jodorowsky from RUSH TO WAR
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:18:38 pm

Here you go Harry... There's a good chance that you may not understand what he's saying here any more than what he was saying in his movies. But, he seemed to wrap things up with great passion, so we used it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

jordi molina
Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky from RUSH TO WAR
on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:33:11 am

MOTHER NIGHT!!!!!

MOTHER NIGHT.

Nobody went to see it when it came out. In most European countries you can't even get it on DVD.

Kurt Vonnegut's best crafted adaptation. Nick Nolte in in his best. It's got a very theatre-like approach in some bizarre parts.

And speaking of bizarre... NAKED LUNCH by Cronenberg. An adaptation of a certainly impossible-to-adapt book bt William Burroughs. Cronenber at his best.

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky from RUSH TO WAR
on Aug 28, 2009 at 10:37:43 pm

Cool - I do understand him... its the end of the world.... I agree.

I thought he would be older.

Can't wait for his new film.

Thanks,
Harry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]