FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kathlyn and I watched a wonderful movie last night...

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
Kathlyn and I watched a wonderful movie last night...
on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:19:12 pm

We rented a movie from Netflix that starred Tim Roth, one of my favorite actors, and the name of the movie was "The Legend of 1900." It was directed by Giuseppe Tornatore, with a screenplay written by Alessandro Baricco, based on a story by Giuseppe Tornatore.

The tagline for the movie is: "A beatiful story of a man who could do anything... except be ordinary."

It is not very realistic and those who want their movies with hard-and-fast reality and who find it tough to suspend disbelief, will likely have a hard time with the story of a man who is born on a trans-Atlantic ocean liner and lives his entire life -- every day of it -- on the ship.

I loved the story as I never watch movies trying to make them real life. I am quite happy to live in a world that many would take issue with, and I can accept that in my movies, as well.

The story is poignant and anyone that knows me knows that I am a sucker for sappy stories and sappy songs -- oh, but what about them Bears, eh? (Wait, football season hasn't even started. Never mind.)

Mark, I think you will like this one, even if Tom Hanks had to be replaced by Tim Roth (so that promoters could save an extra letter on the marquee). Damned budgets.

Have fun,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Kathlyn and I watched a wonderful movie last night...
on Aug 4, 2009 at 11:08:03 pm

Sounds like Amelie or many of the films of Gondry, like "Be Kind: Rewind".. I will have to check it out.

What about a movie about a guy that lives in an airport? On second thought, never mind:-)

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 4, 2009 at 11:18:16 pm

I want to make a movie about a paranoid ex-policeman-turned-Delta-Force-minion that lives in a building full of terrorists that is on fire and in the basement lives a whole legion of ex-Delta Force minions that our ex-policeman runs into. They storm the building led by the guy who the audience learns was once a TV detective sidekick to Cybil Shepard and was doing a little moonlighting for Delta Force so he could get his hands on explosives.

Everyone of the good guys lives, though there are hundreds of bad guys in the building -- and you guess it, they all die.

Mel Gibson directs it with a screenplay by Danny Glover, maybe we could get Bruce Willis to star. Whatcha think?

;o)

Ron, but you can call me Wilson -- because I'd float silently, too, out in the middle of the sea

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 5, 2009 at 2:39:37 am

And don't forget, there needs to be a 3 star general with a ton of medals on his jacket, calling the shots, but not knowing exactly what he's doing, except for the fact that he served in Desert Storm wit the head bad guy.

I guess what we're getting at is that big action movies are all cut from the same mold. Sometimes it works (Die Hard 1) sometimes it doesn't (Die Hard 4). Anyone notice the plot of 24 Season 6? was pretty much the same as Die Hard 4?
Anyone notice that Kevin Smith had a cameo in Die Hard 4, and Bruce Willis is starring in the new Kevin Smith movie "A Couple of Richards"?
When asked in a Comic Con Q+A last week why he would put Bruce Willis in a comedy Smith replied "Because he's David Addison." People forget that he was a comic first, and that John McLane in Die Hard was really the anti-hero, a reluctant good guy who had a broken marriage, a drinking problem and a bunch of 1-liners, which are a defense mechanism against reality.

Mike Cohen

PS - This forum is getting going now.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:39:28 am

[Mike Cohen] "And don't forget, there needs to be a 3 star general with a ton of medals on his jacket, calling the shots, but not knowing exactly what he's doing, except for the fact that he served in Desert Storm wit the head bad guy."

I was going to have TWO, Mike.

But I just heard from the budget office and they have sent down a memo that suggests we just go with one six star general to cut costs.

Ah, the accountants, they always know how to make the movie better, don't they?

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]