FORUMS: list search recent posts

George Harrison: Living in the Material World (trailer)

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
George Harrison: Living in the Material World (trailer)
on Aug 23, 2011 at 5:13:22 pm

Here is a trailer for a documentary about the life of George Harrison, which I think looks pretty great. It's directed by Martin Scorsese, and apparently he's been working on it for around 4 years. Scorsese helped with the editing on Woodstock, made the AMAZING The Last Waltz, and even more recently I thought the Rolling Stones' Shine a Light concert film was also great (saw it in IMAX, incredible sound). I'm sure there's more I don't even know he worked on, but it's pretty apparent he knows how to make music documentaries.

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm also a huge Beatles fan. Obviously I can't claim superiority over someone who was alive when the Beatles were actually still around; but my dad was a former hippy and made sure I got a good music "education" when I was a little kid. He bought me my first CD, Magical Mystery Tour, when I was 6 years old. I never stopped listening to the Beatles as I grew up and still listen to them regularly to this day. Even like most of the solo/post Beatles albums as well. George Harrison ruled, and this should be a good watch:

http://tv.yahoo.com/george-harrison-living-in-the-material-world/show/47629...

<div><object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/ytv/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="shareUrl=http%3A//tv.yahoo.com/george-harrison-living-in-the-material-world/show/47629/videos/26359948&vid=26359948&repeat=0&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/ytv/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object></div>

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: George Harrison: Living in the Material World (trailer)
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:02:49 am

One of my first memories is of The Beatles landing in New York. To say they consumed my childhood is an understatement. Hard Day's Night has been my top Desert Island movie for as long as I've been keeping such lists.

Doesn't matter when you start. Any time is a good time to become a Beatle fan.

[Scott Roberts] " I'm sure there's more I don't even know he worked on, but it's pretty apparent he knows how to make music documentaries."

Other Scorsese musical joints:

New York, New York. Not a documentary of course, but easy to forget that this was the follow-up to Taxi Driver. It's way underrated, especially because it follows what was immediately seen as one of the true classics of American cinema (if you haven't seen it lately, check the 4K restoration on Blu-ray). I just looked it up to be sure. This is from the New Yorker:

"For Scorsese, a lifelong cinephile, the essence of New York could be found in its depiction in classic Hollywood movies. Remarkably, his backward-looking tribute to the golden age of musicals and noirish romantic melodramas turned out to be one of his most freewheeling and personal films."

Try to shake loose the Sinatra mangling of the title track. Remarkable movie.

This was released in '77, Last Waltz in '78.

Hey, speaking of Last Waltz, it ends with the encore, Levon Helm wailing on the Marvin Gaye classic, "Don't Do It." My favorite Band song, and they only include a few seconds. Peep this version:

Even more jaw-droppingly underrated, No Direction Home, four hours of juicy Bob Dylan goodness that's absolutely amazing. I really love this thing. Bob sat for 10 hours worth of easygoing, gracious, insightful interviews, and Scorsese knocked it out of the park. I was so, so impressed by this.

I love The Last Waltz, but this really is in a different class of documentary. One of the all-time greats, imo, and my guess, the one most like what the George Harrison piece is going to be.

Feel Like Going Home is Scorsese's own entry in a seven-film series he produced called Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues, with each done by a different director, including Wender, Eastwood, and Figgis. I haven't actually seen this one, but it's part of a rich body of his work as a music documentarian.

Thanks for the reminder! Really looking forward to this....

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:16:40 am

When you have a chance, do some searches for something like "musical moments in Martin Scorsese films." You'll find a bunch of lists that have virtually no overlap -- and none of them included a couple of my favorites. :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:31:32 pm

There's nothing quite like watching Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci stomp a guy to a bloody pulp, set to "Atlantis" by Donovan...!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:55:17 pm

I may have missed it, but I didn't see the great tracking shot from Goodfellas set to Then He Kissed Me. No embedding, but

And a great

And the piano outro of Layla that

And of course Goodfellas includes Gimme Shelter, which was also in Taxi Driver and The Departed...

...and ironically NOT in Shine a Light.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:40:00 pm

I think if anyone were to make a list of the best popular music soundtracks for films, it would probably be nullified if Goodfellas wasn't guaranteed in the top 5. And that's being generous. If I were to make such a list, it would likely be my #1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]