FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post-credits Epilogues

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Post-credits Epilogues
on Aug 18, 2011 at 12:52:21 am

I am not sure when this began, but the trick of adding either a surprise ending or simply a lead-in to a sequel either during or after the end credits seems quite popular these days. Planet of the Apes and IronMan for example...then there are end-credit sequences that attempt to keep the viewer in their seats (Super 8 did this well, the Lethal Weapon Movies used the end credits to show behind the scenes pictures set to music - other films have shown outtakes or musical numbers).

What do you think - good, bad, tricky (people who get up and leave at the first sign of a credit roll will miss potentially important story elements) or otherwise?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
Re: Post-credits Epilogues
on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:05:56 am

I like it, but that's probably because I've always stuck around for the credits (out of some weird sort of respect) and I just feel like I'm being rewarded for it :-).

I do like it in the sense that it's giving every member of the cast and crew a chance to be seen. Granted, most people don't actually read the credits, even if they stick around, but I've always thought of it as a nice gesture from the director and producer.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:46:49 am

The first of these that I saw was in The Muppet Movie in 1979. What a surprise that movie was! I went to see it on a kitschy lark, and was floored. The screen doesn't fade to black at the end, but as the credits finish rolling, Monster looks straight at the scene and tells us to go home.

This is an alternate ending that was included on VHS - the characters in the movie are talking over the credits! (There's a lot to love about YouTube.) It's a lot like real life, but also a lot like The Muppet Show.

(Ferris Bueller did almost the exact same thing 7 years later. Hated it.)

The one that made the entire theater audience gasp was the end of Buckaroo Bonazai - just a few words of text, but everyone I know who saw the movie (and I know a LOT of such people) is still talking about it.

This was also a set of credits where they gave you something to actually WATCH during the credits. It was really simple, and included a wonderful reworking of the main theme rather than a BS soundtrack single.

Best stuff happening during credits, outtakes from Being There. Others have done it, none better. LOTS OF VERY BAD LANGUAGE, but hilarious.

Did I mention? Bad language.

AMAZING riff on this in Bug's Life, where Pixar bothered to write and animate outtakes from this terribly underrated classic. (The only Pixar movie besides Monsters Inc I LOVE.)

And in Portuguese. There's a lot to love about YouTube.

The stinger at the end of the first Iron Man is still the most important, because it sets up an entire universe we didn't know existed, and we didn't know for a couple of years what "I found it, sir" referred to -- and it wasn't in an Iron Man movie! Genius.

I found the ending of Thor most intriguing, because it played out a pivotal plot point that I wonder if they're going to REplay in the Thor sequel -- but it was a big deal, and very well done. It was also directed by Joss Whedon. Nice!

Creepiest one is also the simplest: the sound of eggs breaking at the end of Aliens. Awesome.

It turns out that there aren't as many of these as I thought I'd find when I looked it up. Here's a pretty good list from 2007, but we're surely missing some, aren't we?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 18, 2011 at 2:31:41 pm

Unless I know beforehand that there's something worthwhile to stick around for, I usually bolt a few seconds after I see the Unit Production Manager's name. Unless it happens 10 seconds into the credits, I usually miss it. I catch the post/during credit sequences on Blu-ray usually. Not a fan of the awkward theater employees staring at me, waiting for me to get up so they can clean the theater.

Though, I have heard nothing but good things about Super 8's credits sequence, and look forward to checking it on when it gets released on home video. And everyone is talking about the Planet of the Apes credit sequence, that I missed, like it's a crucial part of the story... So maybe I should have stuck around for that. Oh well, maybe next time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]