FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disney: Film success does NOT come from story

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Disney: Film success does NOT come from story
on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:24:40 pm

On one hand, you know this, I know this, everybody knows this.

On the other, it's really depressing to hear an exec from a major studio -- from DISNEY -- say it out loud. This was from SIGGRAPH last week, as part of an "Econ 101" section in a technology presentation.

"People say 'It's all about the story,'" Hendrickson said. "When you're making tentpole films, bullshit." Hendrickson showed a chart of the top 12 all-time domestic grossers, and noted every one is a spectacle film. Of his own studio's "Alice in Wonderland," which is on the list, he said: "The story isn't very good, but visual spectacle brought people in droves. And Johnny Depp didn't hurt."

Now, in a little fairness, he's Disney's CTO, and he was speaking to a bunch of fellow nerds at SIGGRAPH. And there's certainly more to it - Depp's Lone Ranger was going to be spectacle-laden, and Disney still unplugged it....

...but still....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Disney: Film success does NOT come from story
on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:38:17 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Of his own studio's "Alice in Wonderland," which is on the list, he said: "The story isn't very good, but visual spectacle brought people in droves. And Johnny Depp didn't hurt.""

This is almost therapeutic to come out of someone from Disney's mouth. It sums up exactly how most people with good taste felt. The ONLY way I could ever come to complete closure with that awful awful movie is if Tim Burton himself admitted the same thing.

But he's probably a loon and thinks it's a masterpiece. A billion dollar masterpiece. I hope in his spare time he just sits on a throne of money in his black & white, gothic castle, full of curvy trees and everything is gloomily lit, with a constant Danny Elfman music loop playing ominously in the background. I assume while he sits there he mulls over which children's story he can BURTON-FY next for millions. Luckily Spike Jonze already beat him to Where the Wild Things Are...

Also, I don't have time to find the link right now, but I read a story the other day saying that The Lone Ranger movie would have cost $150 million to make and would have featured (100% not joking) werewolves. Probably best the project died.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:32:04 pm

[Scott Roberts] "The Lone Ranger movie would have cost $150 million to make and would have featured (100% not joking) werewolves."

Correcting myself, it would have cost $250 million to make. But I just saw a new article over at /Film, that says the project isn't quite dead, and they are probably losing the werewolves in the process... (crossing fingers for aliens or some sort of carnivorous lizard people instead)

http://www.slashfilm.com/lone-ranger-dead/

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:49:14 pm

Johnny Depp - when you see him in interviews - is so low key and subdued you would never believe he could play such outlandish characters. Does he do it for money? Likely. No actor would agree to be in Pirates 4 for anything other than a LOT of money.

And so we have actors who make movies because they love the project, and actors who have 5 mansions around the world with a very high combined mortgage payment. As long as Disney and Tim Burton have the budgets this will continue.

Yes Alice in Wonderland was visually rich, but it was almost unwatchable. It just tried too hard to be a visually rich fantasy world. I will say Crispin Glover does not get enough movies, so that was nice to see.

But let's get back on topic. Disney and likely other big studios only want to make big tent pole movies to make money, regardless of story. And this continues to work because suckers like us pay our money because we like tent pole movies. Transformers 3 had no plot that I can recall, but it was an awesome ride, and made a lot of money. So much that the studio will likely allow someone like Brett Ratner to direct 4,5 and 6. Matthew Broderick is attached - we know how well Godzilla worked out.

So what are we to do? Pool our money and make our own action movies with good stories? Unlikely to happen.

We need someone like Clint Eastwood or Steven Soderberg to direct some tentpole movies and see if anything changes. And two such movies are on the way.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 18, 2011 at 6:21:14 pm

Pixar kicks Disney's ass any day of the week, film after film, and they do it with STORY and CHARACTERIZATION. The FX are secondary. You can make the prettiest setting ever, but unless you care about the character in it and what happens, it is empty and unengaging.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:09:20 pm

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/17/pixar-25th-anniversary/

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:20:39 pm

"Pixar kicks Disney's ass any day of the week, film after film, and they do it with STORY and CHARACTERIZATION. The FX are secondary."

Interesting, I wonder why you say this. It's not as if Pixar's films are less spectacular and visually appealing than Disney films.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]