This is the list http://7films.me.uk/?p=107

What do you say?

Are these the coolest ones out there?

Can you add more!?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: 7 Amazing Film Franchises
on Aug 15, 2011 at 2:25:05 pm

Well, overall, the X-Men franchise has been a little disappointing. The first movie was just OK, X2 was great, X3 was mostly a let down (except for a few great scenes). X-Men Origins Wolverine was garbage. First Class was pretty good however. I hardly call that a brilliant track record.

The Pirates movies are amazing movies financially. But they haven't been very good since the first one.

Obviously as a reasonable, 27-year-old male, I have some qualms towards the Twilight franchise. I can't really criticize it too hard though, I've only seen 3/4ths of the first one. But I did think that it was MTV/WB made-for-TV quality hogwash. But it makes certain people happy, I guess...

Pretty odd that Star Wars wouldn't be included in this list. Seems like one of the biggest franchises of all time. Indiana Jones? Die Hard? Rocky? Star Trek? James Bond?

This list seems pretty focused on modern franchises. Like the person who made it hasn't seen a film made before the year 2002.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 15, 2011 at 3:30:44 pm

[Scott Roberts] "This list seems pretty focused on modern franchises. Like the person who made it hasn't seen a film made before the year 2002."

Seriously! How did they leave out some of those classics? Here is a more in depth list-

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/05/the-greatest-movie...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:06:15 pm

I like the second list better, but there are still some insane omissions.

Is Ghostbusters really on neither list?

The first real franchise was The Thin Man, and holds up quite well, although the six hold up less well in almost exactly descending order. Certainly far more iconic, and entertaining, than many on either list. Ripe for a re-make.

The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes series!! FOURTEEN in 5 years!! Maybe even more iconic than the Thin Man, in that Holmes has been portrayed on screen more often than any other character, including in at least one other six-film series, and this is why.

INSANITY to leave out Mickey Rooney's Andy Hardy series. SIXTEEN full-length features between 1937 and 1947 (3 co-starring Elizabeth Taylor), plus a wrap-up in 1958. Arguably the most popular ever as seen by percentage of the movie-going public -- and seriously 16 full-length features in 10 years.

I wouldn't consider it "great," but with 11 features in FIVE years, how do you leave the Henry Aldrich series off the list? The West Side Kids with TWENTY TWO in 5 years. Seven Dead End Kids features.

Ma and Pa Kettle - lazy bastards, only 10 in 10 years. I watched a ton of these. Even lazier: ten Ernest Worrell pictures in 12 years, several of which are pretty good, and most better than Crocodile Dundee's sequels (although it certainly belongs on the list).

Even if you just count City Lights, Gold Rush and Modern Times, with none of the shorts, Chaplin's Tramp Trilogy - words fail.

The Dollars Trilogy? C'mon.

Those last two are a little tricky in that the characters don't have the same name, but they are clearly the exact same character in both cases - down to the same clothes.

And just the fact that anybody can name all three movies when I say "Tramp" or "Dollars" trilogies, and that they veritably DEMAND to be seen as a boxed set - I rest my case.

This is equally clearly not quite the case with The Marx Brothers, who, while playing the same kind of character, made no effort at continuity. But with 16 films - in the argument. Ditto five Monty Pythons, but here we slip into star-defined franchises (Duke, Roy, Mae West, WC Fields), rather than character-defined ones.

Where do the four Frankie and Annette beach movies fall? I vote "franchise," because even though they're different characters, these virtually comprise their own entire genre. Others tried to glom on, but I doubt anyone can name a single example. I vote "franchise," certainly more than Monty Python.

19 in the Italian Hercules franchise.

17 Rin Tin Tin.

It's kind of hard to think of the Disney True Life Adventure series as a franchise, but hard not to. I saw all 17 of these (made in 12 years from 48-60), and if you went to school in the 60s, I guarantee you saw most of them too, and you DEFINITELY thought of them as a franchise.

8 Phillip Marlowe, played by Bogart (The Big Sleep - with Bacall!), Mitchum (2), George Montgomery, Dick Powell, and Elliot Gould (!!), in The Long Goodbye, directed by Robert Altman, an overlooked if somewhat dated gem.

The Santa Clause makes the list and NOT The Muppets? ELEVEN movies.

TWENTY EIGHT Godzilla movies. This overlaps with THIRTEEN Mothra movies.

King Kong. Only 7, but 'nuff said.

Frankenstein, starting in 1910. The two series with Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee each belong on here by themselves.

Dracula, not even counting 2 Blacula pictures - seriously.

SHAFT. Three pictures and a remake but COME ON. It's SHAFT.

Five Death Wish - Charles Bronson belongs on any list that includes Dirty Harry. Oh wait - neither list has DIRTY HARRY?!?!.

Five Highlander. Five Invisible Man. Five Kickboxer, baby! Five Love Bug movies, plus another for TV. All kinda bite, but all came to mind. :-) But then again, KICKBOXER.

Six Lone Ranger. Yes, there were a gazillion shorts too, but that adds to the value of the features franchise.

I'm obviously skipping horror series, and my mind is getting fuzzy as I add in all these others, but I don't remember seeing Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, or Scream, at least one of which belongs...then dropping down a rung to Chucky, and as much as I hate to include it, Saw is an actual franchise that carries some weight in this genre.

A step sideways to the Poltergeist trilogy. Certainly beats many on either online list. Even spawned its own curse - remember? Cast members dying after each one. The first one alone is enough to put it in the running.

Okay, enough for now. I need to calm down and get back to work.

Scott, Twilight's actually pretty good...but pales in comparison to Vampire Diaries on the CW. :-) Damon is MUCH dreamier than Edward or Jacob...but you gotta put Twilight on the list anyway.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:31:44 pm

Wow Tim, quite the empowered rebuttal. Well stated on all accounts. Your knowledge of film history is quite impressive as is your awareness of "dreamy" vampires.

Clearly we need to set world straight and release our own list of top film franchises.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:49:23 pm

(Takes bow.) Thankyouverymuch!

It's just that when you say "of ALL TIME," you better mean it.

I can't say that I watched every movie in every series I mentioned, especially the horror ones, but back in the days before cable and there were only 5 channels on, and hardly any programming to fill the day, that old stuff was wall-to-wall.

(You kids may not remember, but your parents do: many local stations signed off for the night after the 10 PM news. It was considered the height of high tech when some stations actually stayed on the air ALL NIGHT, showing nothing but a waving American flag. There just wasn't enough stuff to show, which also led to things like The Jack Benny Show being on every day before school, even into the early 70s.)

But I saw at least a couple movies from every series I mentioned, and all of the movies in quite a few of them, long before cable came around.

Still, no excuses for missing Thin Man, Holmes, the Dollar trilogy, Ghostbusters and The Muppets at the very least.

The vampires thing is pathetic. I also like True Blood (read all the books, too), and Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel were a big part of my life for a long time, even after they went off the air. (Both are on Hulu as well as Netflix.) Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins in the Tim Burton reboot of Dark Shadows? I'm there.

The Vampire Diaries is the one that proves it, though: I am in fact a teenage girl. Although in my defense, even Roger Ebert tweeted the release of the latest season of Vampire Diaries on Blu-ray.

Now, having said all that, I'm positive I haven't listed every series of significance, and I ain't even counting 20 films in the Debbie Does Dallas franchise. (I've never see any of those, I promise.)

What have I left out?

Return to posts index

Edoardo L'Astorina
on Aug 15, 2011 at 7:51:46 pm

Your knowledge seems extended & powerful

I actually run 7films

Do you want to make a guest post with your own favourite franchises?

Variety & rich posts is all I want for my site

Maybe focusing on classical franchises??

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 15, 2011 at 8:16:10 pm

Thanks for the invitation, Edoardo! Let me chew on this for a bit. There's a big difference between "best" and "most important at the time" (see Thin Man vs. Andy Hardy), and limiting it to seven in either case is going to be tough.

Although as I'm looking at others of yours and thinking of more, I have one on vintage remakes off the top of my head: Algiers/Pepe Le Moko/Casbah (all between 37 and 48), Imitation of Life, Little Women, Ben-Hur (the silent one is a GAS - better chariot race), A Star is Born (the first of which won a "Special Academy Award for Technicolor Cinematography!!!), and The Man Who Knew Too Much and Ten Commandments, both of which were remade by their original directors (Hitchcock and DeMille, respectively).

Too much fun....but I HAVE to get back to work!!!

More soon....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 16, 2011 at 3:42:40 pm

[Tim Wilson] "The vampires thing is pathetic. I also like True Blood"

Hey, True Blood is legit! I'm not huge on the whole (modern) vampire thing (I'm a zombie man myself), but I've stayed current on True Blood. I kind of groaned when they introduced werewolves last season, and REALLY groaned when they introduced witches this season... but now I'm eating those groans, because the last couple episodes with the witches has been pretty epic. Besides, I can never really argue with a show that's so insistent on showing a naked Anna Paquin. HBO rules.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 16, 2011 at 4:36:52 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Hey, True Blood is legit!"

Hey, I wasn't kidding about Vampire Diaries either! I'll have to doublecheck, but I think I have around 20 shows that I record over the course of the year (and I'm generally loving this new episodes for SOMETHING every week thing), and Vampire Diaries is maybe in my top 3 right now.

And like I said, Ebert tweets the release of every season on Blu-ray. If you like vampires even a little and are missing this, you do yourself a disservice.

[Scott Roberts] "(I'm a zombie man myself)"

Then I assume you know Walking Dead on AMC? One of the best things I've ever seen.

And if you're inclined to read books (what's that?!?), then you need to check out World War Z. It's like Studs Terkel's oral history of, uhm, a war of the entire world with zombies. Amazing, amazing stuff. They're shooting the movie now....

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 16, 2011 at 6:41:15 pm

I watched all of Walking Dead's first season. I went from, "YES, so happy this is on television!!!" at the start of the season; to "I think this needs some reworking for season 2" by the finale. I like the concept of making it a human drama in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. But I feel like they messed up a good amount of the characters in the show. Too many cliche-ridden morons. I don't like that I have to stick around episode after episode with characters I don't like. But I hear they have basically fired and replaced most of the creative force behind the first season, and I'm kind of happy about that. It started off as a show of great momentum and excitement, and sort of trailed off to a sputter by the end. I'm not even sure if there were any zombies in the season finale! Still, looking forward to a reworked season 2.

World War Z has been in my queue of things to read for a while now (I actually purchased it a long time ago, and it's collecting dust on my dining room table). I would love to get to it before the movie gets made, but I'm still going through the 1300 page Bone saga, and I'm a very slow reader. Not that I read words slow on the page like an illiterate person, but I mean I don't dedicate a lot of time in my day to reading books. Too many movies/TV/internet musings/videos games for my ADD filled brain to absorb first. I blame the public school system! :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:21:56 pm

I saw this and thought it relevant for this thread. AV Club just did an article on the 17 big left hand turns in film franchises. Remember Escape from Planet of the Apes? Yep, that's in there...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/in-space-17-film-franchises-that-took-strang...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]