FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inception: Filming the Corridor & Zero Gravity Sequences

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Inception: Filming the Corridor & Zero Gravity Sequences
on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:51:53 pm

Just now catching up with this look at filming one of the most memorable scenes in Inception, posted last December. I guessed at parts of it, as I'm sure you did (one word: gimbal), but it's way, way past what I was thinking.

Even if you didn't see the movie, you'll love this.

As complicated as that was to set up, trying it digitally would have been somewhere been "too expensive to imagine" and simply "unimaginable." I have a lot of respect for people like Nolan who think in ways that don't begin and end with VFX.

At the same time, I was left feeling a little uncomfortable by this interview he did with the LA Times around the same time, where he said that Hollywood takes too many shortcuts. Well, yeah, but still.

Anyway, watch the movie, read the interview, tell me what you think.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Inception: Filming the Corridor & Zero Gravity Sequences
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:07:16 pm

Awesome featurette, saw it a little while ago. I definitely think it makes more sense to do it the way they did it in the video than doing it digitally. I guess it's more of a shortcut than the digital route, because like you said that would be too expensive to imagine, but I would hardly call what they did here any kind of shortcut. Plus, looking at the rest of the movie, there's plenty of other digital effects to satisfy the hunger of a CG lover.

And he said in the interview here:

"As filmmakers working on a large scale with large budgets, we have a lot of techniques at our disposal and I just want to feel as if we used each technique for what it’s best for. If you have a compelling story to tell and then when you build on that with visual effects you have an incredibly powerful combination. When you use it to take a shortcut, it’s not so impressive, at least not to me."

So he just likes using VFX to accent his vision, which is pretty cool. It's not like some filmmakers who's visual effects ARE the vision.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Inception: Filming the Corridor & Zero Gravity Sequences
on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:55:21 pm

They have a bunch of making of featurettes on the Blu-ray disc that are well worth the time. The downtown in the rain one is really cool as well. Love that film!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]