FORUMS: list search recent posts

Independnat Ninja Turtles Movie Trailer

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Independnat Ninja Turtles Movie Trailer
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:23:33 pm

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/an-independently-made-teenage-mutant-...

OK, so I saw the title for this and thought, "Wow great, loved the Turtles as a kid." I Saw the screencap and a glowing review, all is good. Hated the trailer though. It focus' on Casey Jones, which is great, but he just looks like a jerk and why does he fight Michelangelo and the foot clan at the end. I will say this looks like a throw back to the dark and gritty first Turtles movie, which maybe the Turtles licensing people should finally consider doing again.

What are your thoughts on the trailer?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Independnat Ninja Turtles Movie Trailer
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:37:21 pm

I was a HUGE Ninja Turtles fan when I was a kid. My weird childhood collection (everybody had one) was Ninja Turtle action figures and merchandise. I loved the first cartoon series, and loved the first two live action movies. But I haven't seen any of the new reincarnations of them in recent times.

This trailer looks... funny? I guess I'd check out a movie where Casey Jones beats up homeless people for no reason... But I'm 99% sure I'll disappointed if I actually watch it. It seems randomly gory, which is a plus. Maybe if it's hard-R it can be saved. I don't know though, they couldn't even muster up a trailer the quality of most fake, fan-made trailers. I have low expectations if I ever get a chance to see it, which wouldn't surprise me if I never do.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 11, 2011 at 4:39:03 pm

I thought the trailer was boring. I think a lot of that has to do with the music, which I guess was from the original movie. No SFX of hitting and stuff really hurt the trailer as well. I think the fighting didn't look to interesting either and the blood was cheesy and un-necessary.

I think the film can be great and a bad trailer doesn't mean the film will be bad. But I imagine this film will be bad. Just my opinion.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:52:46 pm

Looks like a trailer made without a movie actually being shot. In other words they only shot the trailer. If the movie is being screened they obviously shot a whole film, but I would imagine it is pretty bad. Would have been good with some NAT sound - the fighting is weird with just music. Also weird that we only see one turtle - obviously it is cheaper to make a movie about their human sidekick with the occasional shot of a turtle. Are we to assume this is an origin story, and the Turtles are only revealed at the end?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:31:20 pm

I would hope what we are seeing is at least in the middle of the film if not the first 20 minutes. Then they can all team up to take on evil. But as pointed out, that would cost more money.

But when Casey Jones stops jogging to look at the person going the other way...is that supposed to be April?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:37:37 pm

I think the way to make a new Ninja Turtles movie would be to make it gritty and dark - the grading of the trailer could help (at the moment it looks like a USA network show) - Reservoir Dogs meets Ninja Turtles. The trailer makes it look like a fanboy trailer - like the countless lightsaber battles easily found online - made to satisfy childhood yearnings by middle aged fans with good video gear, but lacking in story or acting.

My two cents.

Mike

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:31:43 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Looks like a trailer made without a movie actually being shot. In other words they only shot the trailer."

Yea, that's what I think too. It makes sense that the put this together for a little online video for fun, they can do something with that and get people talking like we are now. But clearly they are violating some big time IP's, I mean they even used the music from the first movie.

I agree there were some cheap looking aspects to it, but some things, like the turtle, I thought turned out pretty good for some friends making an online video for fun.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:15:45 pm

Fan films seem able to get away with using IP if they are in it for fun only. Look at all the Star Wars fan films, from Hardware Wars to TROOPS to the countless videos posted to TheForce.net as well as Lucasfilm's own website. In fact, Lucas himself gives awards to fan films at the annual Star Wars Celebration convention. I even made one.

for those who have never seen it, this was a lot of fun:

...meanwhile at Creative COW HQ...

Ron: Tim, I see Cohen has hijacked another thread with his Star Wars obsession.

Tim: Yes, I just got a tweet about this from Scott Roberts.

Ron: Suggestions?

Tim: We could cast him into the Pit of Carcoon.

Ron: You're not helping.

Tim: Return of the Jedi grossed $23 million its opening weekend. Adjusted for inflation and cost of tickets, that would be $125 million in today's dollars.

Ron: Do I have to stop this car?

Tim: Ever notice Mike's profile picture looks a bit like Lobot from Empire?

Ron: Help me Bob Zelin, you're my only hope.

Zelin: That's a name I've not heard in a long time.

....meanwhile back in Connecticut...

Sorry, too much caffeine today.

Ninja Turtles...umm..good luck with that.

Mike :)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:10:53 pm

That was pretty awesome! I laughed at the Jawa/"turn off the camera" scene quite a bit. It made me realize that Tatooine is probably the "Alabama planet" in the Star Wars galaxy...

I have just one final thought on the Ninja Turtles/Casey Jones video. If it is just a fan made trailer with no full movie in mind like this thread is speculating, then it has its heart in the right place, but it's poorly executed. If they do plan on making a full movie, then, well, I doubt it will be good based on the trailer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Sep 10, 2011 at 4:15:09 pm

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but Mike that was great! Finally got a chance to sit down away from work and watch the whole thing. I love how the good people looked bad and the bad people looked good, and aside from just being a high concept piece, it filled in a gap in the original story, nice! I also see the cameo from Tom Servo, you must really like that guy! Nicely done.

[Scott Roberts] "Tatooine is probably the "Alabama planet" in the Star Wars galaxy..."

Hahah!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]