FORUMS: list search recent posts

Invictus

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Hawkins
Invictus
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:36:07 am

Hi I just saw Invictus on Blu Ray. I was really looking forward to it but I have to say it was the most disappointing film I have seen since I can remember.

Since seeing it I have read some reviews of it and they have really been mixed, some saying it was flawed and some saying it was really moving. I feel it failed on all levels.

For a start the poem itself was not really a central character of the film. Indeed it almost seemed like an afterthought. In fact the screenplay was such a mess I wasn't sure what the central theme of the movie was supposed to be or who was the central character.

The whole emphasis on Mandela's bodyguards was completely irrelevant. I kept thinking there was going to be some sort of attempt on his life but this never eventuated. There was no payoff for that sub plot at all.

As far as Eastwood's direction went it just seemed like he was directing with an air of detachment and that he had no personal stake in the story at all, which I'm sure is not true. I know he wouldn't exactly be a rugby fan but all the match scenes just left me cold. They just felt infantile, as if I was watching someone's major college assignment.

Morgan Freeman did a decent job as Mandela and Matt Damon was ok but their characters really went nowhere. There was no personal journey throughout the film at all.

Overall a fatally flawed film for me. A noble attempt that was not pulled off.

Anyone agree? Thoughts . . .

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Invictus
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:37:54 pm

[Alex Hawkins] "The whole emphasis on Mandela's bodyguards was completely irrelevant. I kept thinking there was going to be some sort of attempt on his life but this never eventuated. There was no payoff for that sub plot at all."

That was probably supposed to show the slight friendship between the two different races of security guards, and how they eventually bonded over learning about rugby. The payoff was minimal to non-existent, I agree.

I haven't seen it since theaters (2 years ago?), but I remember thinking it was horribly forgettable. It was Oscar bait at its worst; with a phoned-in performance by Morgan Freeman (I thought the accent attempt was kind of corny), a lot of cliche one-note characters, and too many (WAY TOO MANY) blatant attempts to be the most inspirational movie of all time. I'm happy it did nothing at awards time, because I hope it prevents (at least some of) these type of made-for-tv quality stories from hitting the screen anymore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]