FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oprah wins an Oscar?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Oprah wins an Oscar?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:16:50 pm

http://www.thewrap.com/awards/column-post/academys-governors-awards-29713

I have got to admit that I am a bit baffled by this. Now granted Jones and Smith are being awarded for their long and excellent careers, while Oprah is being honored for her charitable contributions, none of which can be argued against. However, the Oscars are for movie heavyweights. In the film world, she put in one good performance in 1985 but I don't know that she has done much on the silver screen since then. Her significant charitable contributions came from wealth she made on TV and in print. I'm sure there are plenty other established filmmakers (albeit with smaller pockets) who probably deserved the award.

Your thoughts? Am the only one baffled here?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Oprah wins an Oscar?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:03:25 pm

Yeah, I didn't know about this... I'm aware that she does many, many great things with her gazlillion dollars. But I'm also someone who doesn't kiss her butt. She basically does Montel Williams/Maury level of sleaze daytime talk show television, but with pro-housewife, very well produced packaging. Bringing on people after a tragedy or a disaster doesn't come across to me as if she actually cares about the people, but more that she cares about the ratings those people will bring in. That's why I think she's rather exploitative. But she has great publicists, and gets away with it. That's not even mentioning all the crackpot diets and medical advice she dishes out that turn out to be bad for you in the long run. And she's responsible for the rise of Dr. Phil.

BUT that has nothing to do with this I suppose, just my thoughts on Oprah.

In terms of this Academy Award, I think it's unjustified. But I am saying that probably without all the facts. I know she produces a LOT of television stuff, but when I looked up her IMDb, she has only produced about 4 films, a few of which I've never even heard of. Does she fund a lot of film related things? I don't see that she has. I might be wrong, but I don't understand her contribution to film. If she's getting a film award for doing nothing film related, but just for being a good person in general, well, that's stupid? Am I right? If, like Jeff said, it's for her one good film role, then Mickey Rourke has just as much, or more credit as Oprah does in that department. Give Mickey Rourke an honorary Oscar! Pope of Greenwich Village rules!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]