FORUMS: list search recent posts

Game of Thrones Visual Effects Reel

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Game of Thrones Visual Effects Reel
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:35:16 pm

I guess it's never been brought up in this forum before, so I don't know how many of you watched HBO's Game of Thrones. It's awesome if you haven't seen it, by the way. Though, every time I bring it up around people, there's a 60% chance I get a (eye roll) "pffffft, the books are better, you're dumb (fart noise)" response (I have no current plans to read the books, OK?!?).

Regardless, this is a really cool visual effects reel from the show, mainly highlighting the addition of CG scenery to regular shots. I like the way the reel flows, mainly.

*NOTE, if you haven't seen the show, after the 2:30 mark, it turns into a big season 1 spoiler. But it's fine to watch before that.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xkptadiDABo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Game of Thrones Visual Effects Reel
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:11:18 am

--SPOILER COMMENT---

I have to admit that I never thought about CG trough the entire series, at least until the dragons came out. I suppose that's the sign of a great VFX job.

Amazing series. And I have to add: Tyrion Lannister rules!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:02:59 pm

[Fernando Mol] "And I have to add: Tyrion Lannister rules!"

He's the only awesome Lannister!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:28:10 pm

I was not really interested in this show before, but after seeing this I think I'll check it out.
It is the seamless effects and set extensions that are the best use of CGI. Sure, matte paintings did similar things for decades, but realism is certainly improved.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Adrian Jans
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:13:08 pm

I LOVE Game of Thrones. In fact, I think Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are the only 2 Drama shows that have come close to even being in the same league as The Wire (but for very different reasons each), but that's just my opinion.

I don't plan on reading the books either, they're huge, insanely dense and the writing itself is dry. Even my bookworm friends find them a challenge to read. I find myself re-watching episodes over again to pick up details and nuances I couldn't possible notice the first time around (thats a good thing). I however haven't encountered any fans of the book who aren't absolutely in love with the show as well though.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:20:00 pm

I love these kinds of demos; I could step-frame them for hours, thye go by too quickly to take it all in...
Rythm & Hues i think used to also havea great one like this that was mostly about augmenting sets digitally. I remember it included footage from the WWII sniper story "Enemy At The Gates" but I lost the link.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:36:11 pm

Here are a couple of shots from a video I made for my dad's birthday this year. Not the "Game of Thrones", more like the "Ballad of Harvey."

Before

After

Before

After

Rhythm and Hues wasn't available, so we gave the work to Grandma and Grandpa, a little known effects house in Waterbury, CT!

Fun stuff.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:49:13 pm

Nice! Except you guys were bold not to wear shoes to the airport...!

Return to posts index

Stefani Rice
on Aug 3, 2011 at 11:35:57 pm

I've just finished watching the first season of Game of Thrones on HBOGo and absolutely loved every moment of it. I found myself completely immersed in the world and truly captivated by the excellent vfx. With such a rich visual tapestry, I found it necessary to remain "glued" to each episode until the last credits closed and the little "x" to close the window appeared on the screen -- sometimes too shocked to believe it was over. The color grading is beautiful and meaningful; and the ARRI Alexa has captured the action and delivered it to our eyes with ease and grace. The series has inspired me to read the stories as I go along, and I have found that the two blend effortlessly and marvelously to enrich the entire experience.

There is also a great podcast set with more inside info: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=403594371

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]