FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Just throw away that 10-million-dollar intro segment, we don't need it"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
"Just throw away that 10-million-dollar intro segment, we don't need it"
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:58:13 pm

http://www.chud.com/61065/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-a-naked-dude-in-superm...

Actually he's not naked, he's wearing a body stocking with the S logo on it.

I still don't see how adding this sequence would have fixed the Routh movie.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: "Just throw away that 10-million-dollar intro segment, we don't need it"
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06:54 pm

I saw this a while back - apparently they have come out with a special edition Blue Ray of Superman Returns.

You know what would make Superman Returns "special" ?

Get rid of Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Superman's kid, Lois Lane's fiance, Bryan Singer and Lex Luthor's female companion and all of his minions.

In other words, keep the blue suit and cape, keep Spacey because he is awesome with a good script, and Jimmy Olsen was ok but underused (although very Mark McClure-like). They tried to make the movie a continuation of Superman II.

We had a thread a year or so ago about how we could remake this movie, so no point in rehashing all of the problems with this film. But the 1978 Superman is a seriously good piece of cinema history - paying homage to that is a good thing, but that is all "Returns" had going for it. I made a special point of going to see it with my dad the day before my parents moved to Florida - it was a homage to when we used to line up hours in advance to see the latest Superman movie back in the early 80's. We both walked out 2.5 hours later wondering where all the money went.

Anyway, here's hoping that the Zack Snyder version is better but not so over-stylized that it becomes ridiculous (300 was beautiful but has now become a cliche). Watchmen of course was as mainstream as Synder has gotten so far. Plus he's got Kevin Costner and a British guy playing Supes. More geek-gasms to come on this subject next year I'm sure. Plus they are filming in Mark's backyard.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:54:47 pm

Well, about 200 miles north of my backyard, but yeah, they are taking over a section of tiny downtown Plano, IL to stand-in for Smallville. They will shoot some segment specifically for the trailer first, then re-do some of the sets and continue shooting. Apparently there will be an actual locomotive used in one of the stunts and they have been pouring concrete into one of the streetes to build it up. Some custom buildigns are being built on-set to be destroyed. Apparently this film is going to try to use a lot of practical effects work versus CGI.

As far as the 10-mil space sequence in the link, it doesn't really add anything to the movie in narrative terms, that we didn't already know. Blowed-up-Krypton is still blowed-up real good. I'm shocked that they went ahead and authorized the shoot. Ostensibly, they needed a reason for Superman to be away from Earth so that he could "return". In the comics it is easy and common for Supes to take an occasional jaunt somewhere to battle a space menace or whatever. But since a movie is about 90 minutes, it's obvious that you can't show too much of that stuff on screen, just to set up that he was "away".

I think I would have handled it as a montage, a skimming over of news footage discussing how long Supes has been gone, a la the opening screening room scenes of Citizen Kane, would have done the job better and cheaper.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:40:04 pm

I don't think I've seen any Superman films other than the very first one. Superman Returns looked too awful from the commercials to get me to go (I know, I've seen far worse, there's not much logic to my theater attendance). I'll check out the Zach Snyder version, if only to see his glorious redemption for the steaming pile of garbage that was Sucker Punch.

Wasting $10 million on a scene they didn't even use? That's insane. But I guess some company will get to put all their children through college for building that crystal spaceship.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:56:47 pm

I liked the first two Donner ones, really they are classics and they also evoke their era quite well.

I pretend that no other films were made since. Like Godfather 1 and 2 and The Matrix. (singular)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]