FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oldest film you have seen

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Collins
Oldest film you have seen
on Jul 30, 2009 at 3:04:02 pm

This forum reminded me of a radio and film history course I took in college and some of the films I saw there. One, during the silent film era, was the classic 'chase' sequence. Boy meets Girl, Boy insults Girl, (inadvertently I'm sure) Girls family chase Boy. The thing that made it so interesting for me was it was filmed so long ago that they apparently couldn't move the camera, no panning or tilting. Boy runs in one side, looks back, panics, runs out the other, crowd close behind.

Not a lot of plot to it but a good indicator of where we've come from in the last hundred or so years.

Doug

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Oldest film you have seen
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:10:45 pm

Back in college, freshman year, we watched stuff like The Great Train Robbery, Andalusian Dog, Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, Potempkin (That's one I like to re-watch from time to time), Birth of a Nation, Gance's Napoleon. Triumph of The Will. Some Keaton and Chaplin shorts. too, particularly The Gold Rush. Not a bad intro to film history, certainly not complete, but fun and interesting. The catalog for the course was probably guided as much by budget and easy availability of VHS tapes of certain films than anything else. But look at "Un Chien Andalou" and tell me you couldn't just throw a soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails on that and sell it to MTV today. Well, if MTV still ran whole videos:-)

Metropolis and Potempkin, I'd already seen numerous times as a kid on WTTW, the PBS station in Chicago, and they are like old friends. Those got lots of TV airplay because they were public domain and essentially free for stations to run, so they git run a LOT.

I wonder what it would be like to re-make "Potempkin" now. MMM, forget it, Brookheimer would get it and just make it about blowing $%#^ up on the Odessa steps.

Maybe the oldest "film" I've seen is an animated GIF file of a clay pot made in Persia around the time of Christ, that is essentially a kind of zoetrope, or more like a praxinoscope; the bowl depicts in several Muybridge-like frames, a goat jumping up to nibble leaves off the Tree of Life. If you spin the bowl and add a shutter effect, it's a "movie". I've posted a link to that in some earlier thread of mine about the oldest animation in the world, like a year or two back... You can probably google it up.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 31, 2009 at 9:42:18 pm

My college video professor used the 39 Steps in video 101 to teach us about editing and story. I have intolerance and Birth of a Nation in my queue but have not gotten to them yet. Metropolis must been seen every so often - it amazes me what was done so well visually so long ago.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 3, 2009 at 5:33:37 pm

Have to agree with Mike, Metropolis was graphically amazing.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:21:25 pm

Do you like the Georgio Moroder-soundtracked modernized/partly colorized version of Metropolis, with the Bonnie Tyler and Queen songs on it, or the old commonly-seen B&W with just the organ music?

Also, I think I read somewhere that someone recently in South America turned up a reel or two of the previously-missing shots, the ones that were edited out for time or content long ago and thought to be lost, except for a still or two. So I guess a really complete version is in the offing at some point.

Related to Metropolis, came out somewhat later, is a "talkie" sci-fi musical, called "Just Imagine". Captures some of the look, but with cruder direction and photography. Just very interesting to see though.

Return to posts index

Rick Higbee
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:47:06 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Moroder version and watch it quite often. I went to Austin, TX a few years ago to view a restoration with the "original" orchestral score and it was entertaining, but I kept "hearing" the Moroder soundtrack in my head.

Return to posts index

jordi molina
on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:38:52 am

A close friend of the Family is the official historician-restorer of UFAs classic tiles. He got to work also as historical consultant for "The Shadow of the vampire", a modern fictional film about the shooting of Nosferatu (with a real vampire played by William Dafoe). A couple of months ago he told me they had recently found new "LOST" scenes of METROPOLIS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]