FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unprecedented Summer for Big Movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Unprecedented Summer for Big Movies
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:15:22 pm

When was the last Summer, or year for that matter, which had so many potentially big / tentpole movies released (I say potentially because not all releases become blockbusters) - although the quality seems to be top notch this year. It is rare that I have a list of this many movies that I want to see in the theater in a given year.

X-Men First Class
Green Lantern
Pirates 4
Cars 2
Thor
Super 8
Harry Potter 7 pt2
Cowboys and Aliens
Transformers 3
Captain America
Planet of the Apes

plus teaser video of Dark Knight 3 and The Hobbit makes this demographic nearly beside themselves with excitement.

Most Summers have had one or two such movies - I would say this is likely a year to beat and it may be hard to do so.

I'm not talking box office - simply excitement about big budget action adventure movies. The world economy may still be stagnant, but the movie business is certainly spending a lot of money.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Unprecedented Summer for Big Movies
on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:30:06 pm

Well even when they screw up like Warner Bros did *cough*GreenLantern*cough**cough*, they made back that entire mistake with the new Harry Potter. Now the fact that they are still planning on a Lantern sequel, well, that's poor news for a future summer...

But no matter how crappy the economy gets, people still like to escape to the movies. Plus, free air conditioning!

I think this year hasn't a singular mindblowing film yet (at least for me), but it's had an unquestionable steady stream of good movies. At least compared to the first half of 2010, which in my opinion was awful. I do believe (I don't have the link to back it up, but I KNOW I read it), that 2011 set the record for most remakes and sequels released in a year. remakes/sequels = $$$

Even Woody Allen had the most profitable film of his career this summer (Midnight in Paris - $40 million).

I had disgustingly high hopes for Super 8, and was slightly let down (it was decent), so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for Captain America too much. Though, it really does look incredible. Crap! Expectations!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Unprecedented Summer for Big Movies
on Jul 19, 2011 at 5:14:41 pm

[Scott Roberts] "so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for Captain America too much. Though, it really does look incredible. "

The trailers have really blown me away. I went from having to neutral to negative feelings (I probably won't see it, and it will probably bite) to now, strong enthusiasm.

Even though it was technically released in late spring, I'm going to have to include my boys Vin and Duane crashing up a bunch of cars. I had a genuinely, unironic, really good time.

The top of my list so far might still be Bridesmaids. Whenever we even say the name of the movie, my wife and I start laughing because we're immediately recalling bits from it. Obviously unlikely to ever become a tentpole, but still, you have to include it in a list of the movies that are making this such a memorable summer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]