FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rango

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Rango
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:37:02 pm

This just came out at my local Redbox, so I finally got to see it. AWESOME movie for adults, especially if you like Westerns. It does clock in a little long, but you're having such a great time, you don't mind.

I loved the Droste-like recursiveness of the 3-second Hunter S. Thompson visual joke, early in the film. There's also some great nods to various famous actors playing the parts.

The music is also impeccable, as are the title sequences.

Except for having perhaps one too many sequences in it, this is a terrific film, but the humor in it will be largely lost on kids. The plot is a little thin and really an excuse to set up the sequences, but you will forgive it. For those of you with an eye for composition and detail, this film rewards viewing on a large hi-rez screen - it is effing sumptuous, you get the impression the animators really spared no expense.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Rango
on Jul 26, 2011 at 2:21:00 pm

I watched Rango last night, and I loved it! The action in it is pretty great and very creative. I'm sure kids loved it too, but I agree with Mark, this is a film adults will really enjoy as well. Lots of jokes that without a doubt will go over kid's heads (including the Hunter S. Thompson bit you mentioned, which made me laugh pretty good).

I watched it in Blu-ray, and thought the detail was almost overwhelmingly great. In addition to loving all of the character design, I thought the amount of detail in all of the texturing (and especially skin texturing) was incredible. I didn't even realize until after I watched it that Industrial Light & Magic made this movie, and it was their first ever fully CG animated picture. I would very much like to see more animated films from them in the future.

Did you happen to watch any of the special features? They actually made it in a really cool way. They shot most of the film with the actors on a sound stage, then based the animation on that. Pretty interesting technique for filmmaking, and I think it paid off. It looks like a lot of fun! I found some clips on YouTube:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r-Bc43WVoL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/32xOkqlK-I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

I agree it does have a slightly underwhelming plot, but it's really fun, and moves at a lightning pace. I give it a big recommendation. Very good animated film.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]